Re: Difference between ZenithStar 66 Petzval & ZS 80

  • erlend_langsrud
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2006
      I think everybody needs at least two scopes, one small and one big.
      If you are mainly interrested in visual observations, you could do
      with a small refractor + an 8" or larger dobsonian. If you want to
      do photography you could buy a small refractor + an SCT or newtonian
      on an equatorial mount.

      If you think you will end up with two scopes, the quality and
      portabillity of the refractor is more important than the aparture.
      Field flatness and color correction is definitely more important
      than a slightly bigger aparture if you want to do photography.

      In general, I don't think color correction is important for visual
      deep-sky observations.

      The funny thing about the ZS66 Petzval is that it's usable at powers
      above 100x (unlike some other slightly cheaper short-tubes I've
      tried, Orion ST80 and ETX70, to be specific). This means that Saturn
      looks like a 3D-object with some detail.

      I have only looked through a ZS80 once at low power, so I can't say
      much about that one, except that the stars looked sharp to the edge
      through a low power, wide field eyepiece (I think it was a 82 deg
      FOV 31mm Nagler eyepiece). It seems to me a 2-element lens is good
      enough for visual use.

      Erlend

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "williamopticsmarketing"
      <williamopticsmarketing@y...> wrote:

      > Better than my Spanish! ;-)
      >
      > Well, you are not making a stupid point at all. It's absolutely
      > important to have clearer ideas before purchasing. Take your time.
      >
      > I believe you have to clarify to yourself what is the most
      important
      > thing that YOU need from this telescope. There is no right or
      wrong
      > answer, it's all about you and the pleasure you will get out of
      YOUR
      > telescope. So...
      >
      > Now, of course for me the ideal scenario would be APO & BIG at a
      > steal price, but then the equation depends on your needs and
      > expectations! Not everyone needs big, not everyone values APO as
      > much, right?
      >
      > JUST a few questions to ask yourself, not necessarily in this
      > order... (other members will surely add more):
      >
      > 1/ Will you do astrophotography with it? Mainly visual? What
      objects?
      > 2/Do portability and size constraints rank high in your books?
      > 3/Does some color aberration bother you much?
      > 4/Do you have the budget for it?
      > 5/How long do you plan to keep the scope for, if you liked it?
      > 6/Under what AVERAGE skies will you be using it?
      > 7/What accessories, if any, do you already have access to?
      > (interoperability)
      >
      > 8/ Recently brought to our attention here in the forum: are you
      > married??? Will your marriage be in trouble if you decide to
      splash
      > out?? ;-) Just kidding...
      >
      > Everyone's opionions are most welcome.
      >
      > D.
      >
      > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "fetchreturn"
      > <fetchreturn@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thank you, The question is: It's better choose a bigger aperture
      or
      > > choose an APO?. I don't know, I think that you enjoy of a bigger
      > > aperture every moment, whereas I need a great amplification of
      > image
      > > for note the adventages of an APO. Isn`t it?. It's a stupid
      thing
      > > what I say?. I'm a rookie in this.
      > >
      > > (As you can see my English is really bad.)
      > >

      > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "williamopticsmarketing"
      > > <williamopticsmarketing@y...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Aitor,
      > > >
      > > > considere el ZS 66 SD tambien.
      > > > http://www.william-
      optics.com/wowebs/prod_tel/zssd66/features0.htm