ZS66 SD First Light, First Pics

  • robie7642003
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2006
      Hi All,
      First off, thanks to all on this list for helping me with my over-
      long decision making process. My ZS66 SD arrived last week and I had
      it out on Friday for the first time. A window of clear, cool, crisp
      skies from sundown til around 10:00 pm. Beautiful views! I had it
      piggybacked on my LX90 8" SCT which made for some nice comparisons.
      This scope was made for the Pleiades! It filled the FOV of a 26mm EP
      nicely, but with a 40mm it really came to life in the context of the
      wonderfully wide field. M42 was really just a faint glow in the 26mm
      (here is where it was fun to have both scopes trained on the same
      object), but the entire view was crisp. Stars are really wonderful
      in this scope--could easily make me a refractor convert.

      I've also put my first images with the scope in Files under Larry D
      Images: M42 and the Rosette, which I've been wanting to image for
      quite some time. That one was shot with Ha, 60 second subs unguided
      on my LX90. I did tighten the stars with some deconvolution routines-
      -my focus was not that great. No fault of the scope--the two-speed
      focuser is a real step up from the less-then-fine-tuning and image
      shift of the SCT. More the fault of using Ha (makes focusing harder,
      at least for me) and growing clouds. This object should take hours,
      not minutes. But I am still quite happy.

      M42 was shot with RGB filters and Lum, all with IR filters as well.
      30 second subs. Stars were really pinpoint, this was before the
      clouds and focusing was a real pleasure. Short time again--9.5
      minutes for the lum and 5 minutes each RGB. But it is a brighter
      object and I didn't use the Ha filter on the luminance.

      I did have to add on the spacers that came with my
      Meade 6.3FR (45mm in all) to come to focus with my Starlight Xpress
      MX716 (plus filter holder and connectors).

      Just really wanted to try different things with the scope my first
      night out, visually and imaging. What a delight to play with on both
      counts!

      I hope you enjoy. Sorry for the long, long post and, once again,
      thanks to all for getting me here.

      BTW, I agree with all who commend WO for their customer service as
      well as their product. They were a pleasure to deal with. Thanks,
      Williams!

      Happy New Year,
      Larry