Re: LXD55 and ZS80 question

  • Tom Trusock
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 31, 2005
      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "imjustasurfin"
      <imjustasurfin@y...> wrote:

      > I would like to keep the L bracket on my ZS80 and mount it to an
      LXD55
      > saddle plate. Any suggestions or solutions?

      I use a universal astronomics dovetail bar that is 55/75/gp/etc
      compatible and mount the l-bracket to that.

      Tom T.
    • imjustasurfin
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 31, 2005
        I appreciate your fast response... I have read many of your Post over
        on Cloudy Nights and always enjoy your post. Thanks Again

        Bill Goddard

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Trusock" <tomt@c...> wrote:

        > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "imjustasurfin"
        > <imjustasurfin@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I would like to keep the L bracket on my ZS80 and mount it to an
        > LXD55
        > > saddle plate. Any suggestions or solutions?
        > >

        > I use a universal astronomics dovetail bar that is 55/75/gp/etc
        > compatible and mount the l-bracket to that.
        >
        > Tom T.

      • Tom Trusock
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
          You are very welcome Bill.

          Thank you for the nice comments!

          <imjustasurfin@y...> wrote:

          > I appreciate your fast response... I have read many of your Post over
          > on Cloudy Nights and always enjoy your post. Thanks Again
          >
          > Bill Goddard
          >
          > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Trusock" <tomt@c...> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "imjustasurfin"
          > > <imjustasurfin@y...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I would like to keep the L bracket on my ZS80 and mount it to an
          > > LXD55
          > > > saddle plate. Any suggestions or solutions?
          > > >

          > > I use a universal astronomics dovetail bar that is 55/75/gp/etc
          > > compatible and mount the l-bracket to that.
          > >
          > > Tom T.

        • Raul
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 3, 2006
            <imjustasurfin@y...> wrote:

            > I would like to keep the L bracket on my ZS80 and mount it to an
            LXD55
            > saddle plate. Any suggestions or solutions?

            Hi, I have been a member of this group for several months now and I
            have seen people ask the above question over and over. I also own a
            WO scope (Megrez 80II ED) and a Meade LXD75 mount and because there
            was no readily available adapter to connect them, I set out to
            design an adapter that would work with L-bracket equipped scopes and
            the Vixen and Vixen clone mounts. I couple of moths ago I started an
            astro accessories company (Desert Sky Astro Products) and I sell
            this adapter in 4" and 6" long versions. Follow this link to see
            them on Astromart:

            http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=399664

            Several solutions have been proposed on this forum to securely
            attach the scopes, such as tapping the second hole on the bracket
            and drilling additional holes in the dovetail. While I am sure that
            those solutions work, our adapter provides an inexpensive solution
            right out of the box, without the need to modify your shiny WO scope
            (and probably endanger your warranty).

            Thanks. Raul Medina for Desert Sky Astro Products.

            PS. Out of respect for our fellow group members and WO, I requested
            permission from the moderator of the group before posting this
            information.
          • Rick
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 4, 2006
              Raul-

              Nice product (and an attractive sale price!) I took a look at it when
              I was looking for mounting options for my WO scopes. Do you have a
              version that matches the "newer" WO L brackets? Both of my scopes
              came with two holes already tapped on the L bracket, your 4" and 6"
              rails provide for one threaded hole and one unthreaded post. I assume
              this matches an older style of L bracket or I could be misreading the
              info. What I would be very interested in is an adapter with two
              threaded screws to allow for a more secure attachment. Thanks.

              Rick B

              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Raul" <mraul34@c...> wrote:

              > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "imjustasurfin"
              > <imjustasurfin@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I would like to keep the L bracket on my ZS80 and mount it to an
              > LXD55
              > > saddle plate. Any suggestions or solutions?
              > >

              > Hi, I have been a member of this group for several months now and I
              > have seen people ask the above question over and over. I also own a
              > WO scope (Megrez 80II ED) and a Meade LXD75 mount and because there
              > was no readily available adapter to connect them, I set out to
              > design an adapter that would work with L-bracket equipped scopes and
              > the Vixen and Vixen clone mounts. I couple of moths ago I started an
              > astro accessories company (Desert Sky Astro Products) and I sell
              > this adapter in 4" and 6" long versions. Follow this link to see
              > them on Astromart:
              >
              > http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=399664
              >
              > Several solutions have been proposed on this forum to securely
              > attach the scopes, such as tapping the second hole on the bracket
              > and drilling additional holes in the dovetail. While I am sure that
              > those solutions work, our adapter provides an inexpensive solution
              > right out of the box, without the need to modify your shiny WO scope
              > (and probably endanger your warranty).
              >
              > Thanks. Raul Medina for Desert Sky Astro Products.
              >
              > PS. Out of respect for our fellow group members and WO, I requested
              > permission from the moderator of the group before posting this
              > information.

            • Timm Bottoni
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 4, 2006
                Thanks for the information and web site link Raul.

                And thank you for requesting permission.

                Hopefully your product will help others

                Timm

                > Hi, I have been a member of this group for several months now and I
                > have seen people ask the above question over and over. I also own a
                > WO scope (Megrez 80II ED) and a Meade LXD75 mount and because there
                > was no readily available adapter to connect them, I set out to
                > design an adapter that would work with L-bracket equipped scopes
                and
                > the Vixen and Vixen clone mounts. I couple of moths ago I started
                an
                > astro accessories company (Desert Sky Astro Products) and I sell
                > this adapter in 4" and 6" long versions. Follow this link to see
                > them on Astromart:
                >
                > http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?
                classified_id=399664

                > Several solutions have been proposed on this forum to securely
                > attach the scopes, such as tapping the second hole on the bracket
                > and drilling additional holes in the dovetail. While I am sure that
                > those solutions work, our adapter provides an inexpensive solution
                > right out of the box, without the need to modify your shiny WO
                scope
                > (and probably endanger your warranty).
                >
                > Thanks. Raul Medina for Desert Sky Astro Products.
                >
                > PS. Out of respect for our fellow group members and WO, I requested
                > permission from the moderator of the group before posting this
                > information.

              • Raul
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 4, 2006
                  Rick, thanks for your positive comments. You are right, I designed
                  them initially for the 1 threaded hole/1 unthreaded hole L-brackets,
                  but the new batch just coming out has the threaded hole for the stud
                  centrally located and one counter bored slot on each end, which
                  would allow you to use 1 1/4-20 screw (2 are included with the
                  bracket) on each of the holes of the "new" L-bracket style. I do not
                  know the spacing between the 2 threaded holes in the new L-bracket,
                  but if it is anywhere between 1/2" to 1-1/2", it should work with
                  both the 4" and 6" adapters. I will update the pictures in the ad to
                  show the new design
                  Raul.

                  --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <red75tr6@y...> wrote:

                  > Raul-
                  >
                  > Nice product (and an attractive sale price!) I took a look at it
                  when
                  > I was looking for mounting options for my WO scopes. Do you have a
                  > version that matches the "newer" WO L brackets? Both of my scopes
                  > came with two holes already tapped on the L bracket, your 4" and 6"
                  > rails provide for one threaded hole and one unthreaded post. I
                  assume
                  > this matches an older style of L bracket or I could be misreading
                  the
                  > info. What I would be very interested in is an adapter with two
                  > threaded screws to allow for a more secure attachment. Thanks.
                  >
                  > Rick B
                  >
                  > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Raul" <mraul34@c...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "imjustasurfin"
                  > > <imjustasurfin@y...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I would like to keep the L bracket on my ZS80 and mount it to
                  an
                  > > LXD55
                  > > > saddle plate. Any suggestions or solutions?
                  > > >

                  > > Hi, I have been a member of this group for several months now
                  and I
                  > > have seen people ask the above question over and over. I also
                  own a
                  > > WO scope (Megrez 80II ED) and a Meade LXD75 mount and because
                  there
                  > > was no readily available adapter to connect them, I set out to
                  > > design an adapter that would work with L-bracket equipped scopes
                  and
                  > > the Vixen and Vixen clone mounts. I couple of moths ago I
                  started an
                  > > astro accessories company (Desert Sky Astro Products) and I sell
                  > > this adapter in 4" and 6" long versions. Follow this link to see
                  > > them on Astromart:
                  > >
                  > > http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?
                  classified_id=399664

                  > > Several solutions have been proposed on this forum to securely
                  > > attach the scopes, such as tapping the second hole on the
                  bracket
                  > > and drilling additional holes in the dovetail. While I am sure
                  that
                  > > those solutions work, our adapter provides an inexpensive
                  solution
                  > > right out of the box, without the need to modify your shiny WO
                  scope
                  > > (and probably endanger your warranty).
                  > >
                  > > Thanks. Raul Medina for Desert Sky Astro Products.
                  > >
                  > > PS. Out of respect for our fellow group members and WO, I
                  requested
                  > > permission from the moderator of the group before posting this
                  > > information.

                • Raul
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 4, 2006
                    Thanks to you Timm.
                    Raul.
                    --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm Bottoni"
                    <t.bottoni@c...> wrote:

                    > Thanks for the information and web site link Raul.
                    >
                    > And thank you for requesting permission.
                    >
                    > Hopefully your product will help others
                    >
                    > Timm
                    >

                    > > Hi, I have been a member of this group for several months now
                    and I
                    > > have seen people ask the above question over and over. I also
                    own a
                    > > WO scope (Megrez 80II ED) and a Meade LXD75 mount and because
                    there
                    > > was no readily available adapter to connect them, I set out to
                    > > design an adapter that would work with L-bracket equipped scopes
                    > and
                    > > the Vixen and Vixen clone mounts. I couple of moths ago I
                    started
                    > an
                    > > astro accessories company (Desert Sky Astro Products) and I sell
                    > > this adapter in 4" and 6" long versions. Follow this link to see
                    > > them on Astromart:
                    > >
                    > > http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?
                    > classified_id=399664
                    > >
                    > > Several solutions have been proposed on this forum to securely
                    > > attach the scopes, such as tapping the second hole on the
                    bracket
                    > > and drilling additional holes in the dovetail. While I am sure
                    that
                    > > those solutions work, our adapter provides an inexpensive
                    solution
                    > > right out of the box, without the need to modify your shiny WO
                    > scope
                    > > (and probably endanger your warranty).
                    > >
                    > > Thanks. Raul Medina for Desert Sky Astro Products.
                    > >
                    > > PS. Out of respect for our fellow group members and WO, I
                    requested
                    > > permission from the moderator of the group before posting this
                    > > information.

                  • Rudi
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 4, 2006
                      Raul,
                      Will your adapter work with the Orion 80ed also.
                      I just got one and would like to use it on my Konus
                      mount
                      (which happens to be in ups world somewhare on its way
                      to me).
                      And should I get the short or longer one?
                      Thanks in advance.
                      Rudi

                      Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                      dsl.yahoo.com
                    • Raul
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 5, 2006
                        Hi Rudi, does the orion 80ED mounting block have more than one
                        threaded hole (or one threaded and one unthreaded at least)?
                        If it has more than one, I can recommend our adapter (the 6" one),
                        but if it has only one, I don't think it would be safe to use our
                        adapter and instead would recomend that you use tube rings and a
                        dovetail (like our 8" model).
                        Raul.

                        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Rudi <wa2nub@y...> wrote:

                        > Raul,
                        > Will your adapter work with the Orion 80ed also.
                        > I just got one and would like to use it on my Konus
                        > mount
                        > (which happens to be in ups world somewhare on its way
                        > to me).
                        > And should I get the short or longer one?
                        > Thanks in advance.
                        > Rudi

                        > Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                        > dsl.yahoo.com

                      • Rudi
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 5, 2006
                          Raul,
                          Nah, it has a plain block bolted to the tube with 2
                          screws approx 2" apart at the center of the tube; the
                          balance point with an eyepiece? An Orion rail would
                          mean this piece would have to be removed and lose the
                          tripod mount.
                          Rudi

                          Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                          dsl.yahoo.com