LXD55 and ZS80 question

  • imjustasurfin
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 31, 2005
      I would like to keep the L bracket on my ZS80 and mount it to an LXD55
      saddle plate. Any suggestions or solutions?
    • Tom Trusock
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 31, 2005
        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "imjustasurfin"
        <imjustasurfin@y...> wrote:

        > I would like to keep the L bracket on my ZS80 and mount it to an
        LXD55
        > saddle plate. Any suggestions or solutions?

        I use a universal astronomics dovetail bar that is 55/75/gp/etc
        compatible and mount the l-bracket to that.

        Tom T.
      • imjustasurfin
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 31, 2005
          I appreciate your fast response... I have read many of your Post over
          on Cloudy Nights and always enjoy your post. Thanks Again

          Bill Goddard

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Trusock" <tomt@c...> wrote:

          > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "imjustasurfin"
          > <imjustasurfin@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I would like to keep the L bracket on my ZS80 and mount it to an
          > LXD55
          > > saddle plate. Any suggestions or solutions?
          > >

          > I use a universal astronomics dovetail bar that is 55/75/gp/etc
          > compatible and mount the l-bracket to that.
          >
          > Tom T.

        • Tom Trusock
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 1 4:19 PM
            You are very welcome Bill.

            Thank you for the nice comments!

            <imjustasurfin@y...> wrote:

            > I appreciate your fast response... I have read many of your Post over
            > on Cloudy Nights and always enjoy your post. Thanks Again
            >
            > Bill Goddard
            >
            > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Trusock" <tomt@c...> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "imjustasurfin"
            > > <imjustasurfin@y...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I would like to keep the L bracket on my ZS80 and mount it to an
            > > LXD55
            > > > saddle plate. Any suggestions or solutions?
            > > >

            > > I use a universal astronomics dovetail bar that is 55/75/gp/etc
            > > compatible and mount the l-bracket to that.
            > >
            > > Tom T.

          • Raul
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 3 10:35 PM
              <imjustasurfin@y...> wrote:

              > I would like to keep the L bracket on my ZS80 and mount it to an
              LXD55
              > saddle plate. Any suggestions or solutions?

              Hi, I have been a member of this group for several months now and I
              have seen people ask the above question over and over. I also own a
              WO scope (Megrez 80II ED) and a Meade LXD75 mount and because there
              was no readily available adapter to connect them, I set out to
              design an adapter that would work with L-bracket equipped scopes and
              the Vixen and Vixen clone mounts. I couple of moths ago I started an
              astro accessories company (Desert Sky Astro Products) and I sell
              this adapter in 4" and 6" long versions. Follow this link to see
              them on Astromart:

              http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=399664

              Several solutions have been proposed on this forum to securely
              attach the scopes, such as tapping the second hole on the bracket
              and drilling additional holes in the dovetail. While I am sure that
              those solutions work, our adapter provides an inexpensive solution
              right out of the box, without the need to modify your shiny WO scope
              (and probably endanger your warranty).

              Thanks. Raul Medina for Desert Sky Astro Products.

              PS. Out of respect for our fellow group members and WO, I requested
              permission from the moderator of the group before posting this
              information.
            • Rick
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 4 7:49 AM
                Raul-

                Nice product (and an attractive sale price!) I took a look at it when
                I was looking for mounting options for my WO scopes. Do you have a
                version that matches the "newer" WO L brackets? Both of my scopes
                came with two holes already tapped on the L bracket, your 4" and 6"
                rails provide for one threaded hole and one unthreaded post. I assume
                this matches an older style of L bracket or I could be misreading the
                info. What I would be very interested in is an adapter with two
                threaded screws to allow for a more secure attachment. Thanks.

                Rick B

                --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Raul" <mraul34@c...> wrote:

                > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "imjustasurfin"
                > <imjustasurfin@y...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I would like to keep the L bracket on my ZS80 and mount it to an
                > LXD55
                > > saddle plate. Any suggestions or solutions?
                > >

                > Hi, I have been a member of this group for several months now and I
                > have seen people ask the above question over and over. I also own a
                > WO scope (Megrez 80II ED) and a Meade LXD75 mount and because there
                > was no readily available adapter to connect them, I set out to
                > design an adapter that would work with L-bracket equipped scopes and
                > the Vixen and Vixen clone mounts. I couple of moths ago I started an
                > astro accessories company (Desert Sky Astro Products) and I sell
                > this adapter in 4" and 6" long versions. Follow this link to see
                > them on Astromart:
                >
                > http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=399664
                >
                > Several solutions have been proposed on this forum to securely
                > attach the scopes, such as tapping the second hole on the bracket
                > and drilling additional holes in the dovetail. While I am sure that
                > those solutions work, our adapter provides an inexpensive solution
                > right out of the box, without the need to modify your shiny WO scope
                > (and probably endanger your warranty).
                >
                > Thanks. Raul Medina for Desert Sky Astro Products.
                >
                > PS. Out of respect for our fellow group members and WO, I requested
                > permission from the moderator of the group before posting this
                > information.

              • Timm Bottoni
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 4 9:18 AM
                  Thanks for the information and web site link Raul.

                  And thank you for requesting permission.

                  Hopefully your product will help others

                  Timm

                  > Hi, I have been a member of this group for several months now and I
                  > have seen people ask the above question over and over. I also own a
                  > WO scope (Megrez 80II ED) and a Meade LXD75 mount and because there
                  > was no readily available adapter to connect them, I set out to
                  > design an adapter that would work with L-bracket equipped scopes
                  and
                  > the Vixen and Vixen clone mounts. I couple of moths ago I started
                  an
                  > astro accessories company (Desert Sky Astro Products) and I sell
                  > this adapter in 4" and 6" long versions. Follow this link to see
                  > them on Astromart:
                  >
                  > http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?
                  classified_id=399664

                  > Several solutions have been proposed on this forum to securely
                  > attach the scopes, such as tapping the second hole on the bracket
                  > and drilling additional holes in the dovetail. While I am sure that
                  > those solutions work, our adapter provides an inexpensive solution
                  > right out of the box, without the need to modify your shiny WO
                  scope
                  > (and probably endanger your warranty).
                  >
                  > Thanks. Raul Medina for Desert Sky Astro Products.
                  >
                  > PS. Out of respect for our fellow group members and WO, I requested
                  > permission from the moderator of the group before posting this
                  > information.

                • Raul
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 4 11:15 AM
                    Rick, thanks for your positive comments. You are right, I designed
                    them initially for the 1 threaded hole/1 unthreaded hole L-brackets,
                    but the new batch just coming out has the threaded hole for the stud
                    centrally located and one counter bored slot on each end, which
                    would allow you to use 1 1/4-20 screw (2 are included with the
                    bracket) on each of the holes of the "new" L-bracket style. I do not
                    know the spacing between the 2 threaded holes in the new L-bracket,
                    but if it is anywhere between 1/2" to 1-1/2", it should work with
                    both the 4" and 6" adapters. I will update the pictures in the ad to
                    show the new design
                    Raul.

                    --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <red75tr6@y...> wrote:

                    > Raul-
                    >
                    > Nice product (and an attractive sale price!) I took a look at it
                    when
                    > I was looking for mounting options for my WO scopes. Do you have a
                    > version that matches the "newer" WO L brackets? Both of my scopes
                    > came with two holes already tapped on the L bracket, your 4" and 6"
                    > rails provide for one threaded hole and one unthreaded post. I
                    assume
                    > this matches an older style of L bracket or I could be misreading
                    the
                    > info. What I would be very interested in is an adapter with two
                    > threaded screws to allow for a more secure attachment. Thanks.
                    >
                    > Rick B
                    >
                    > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Raul" <mraul34@c...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "imjustasurfin"
                    > > <imjustasurfin@y...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I would like to keep the L bracket on my ZS80 and mount it to
                    an
                    > > LXD55
                    > > > saddle plate. Any suggestions or solutions?
                    > > >

                    > > Hi, I have been a member of this group for several months now
                    and I
                    > > have seen people ask the above question over and over. I also
                    own a
                    > > WO scope (Megrez 80II ED) and a Meade LXD75 mount and because
                    there
                    > > was no readily available adapter to connect them, I set out to
                    > > design an adapter that would work with L-bracket equipped scopes
                    and
                    > > the Vixen and Vixen clone mounts. I couple of moths ago I
                    started an
                    > > astro accessories company (Desert Sky Astro Products) and I sell
                    > > this adapter in 4" and 6" long versions. Follow this link to see
                    > > them on Astromart:
                    > >
                    > > http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?
                    classified_id=399664

                    > > Several solutions have been proposed on this forum to securely
                    > > attach the scopes, such as tapping the second hole on the
                    bracket
                    > > and drilling additional holes in the dovetail. While I am sure
                    that
                    > > those solutions work, our adapter provides an inexpensive
                    solution
                    > > right out of the box, without the need to modify your shiny WO
                    scope
                    > > (and probably endanger your warranty).
                    > >
                    > > Thanks. Raul Medina for Desert Sky Astro Products.
                    > >
                    > > PS. Out of respect for our fellow group members and WO, I
                    requested
                    > > permission from the moderator of the group before posting this
                    > > information.

                  • Raul
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 4 11:19 AM
                      Thanks to you Timm.
                      Raul.
                      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm Bottoni"
                      <t.bottoni@c...> wrote:

                      > Thanks for the information and web site link Raul.
                      >
                      > And thank you for requesting permission.
                      >
                      > Hopefully your product will help others
                      >
                      > Timm
                      >

                      > > Hi, I have been a member of this group for several months now
                      and I
                      > > have seen people ask the above question over and over. I also
                      own a
                      > > WO scope (Megrez 80II ED) and a Meade LXD75 mount and because
                      there
                      > > was no readily available adapter to connect them, I set out to
                      > > design an adapter that would work with L-bracket equipped scopes
                      > and
                      > > the Vixen and Vixen clone mounts. I couple of moths ago I
                      started
                      > an
                      > > astro accessories company (Desert Sky Astro Products) and I sell
                      > > this adapter in 4" and 6" long versions. Follow this link to see
                      > > them on Astromart:
                      > >
                      > > http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?
                      > classified_id=399664
                      > >
                      > > Several solutions have been proposed on this forum to securely
                      > > attach the scopes, such as tapping the second hole on the
                      bracket
                      > > and drilling additional holes in the dovetail. While I am sure
                      that
                      > > those solutions work, our adapter provides an inexpensive
                      solution
                      > > right out of the box, without the need to modify your shiny WO
                      > scope
                      > > (and probably endanger your warranty).
                      > >
                      > > Thanks. Raul Medina for Desert Sky Astro Products.
                      > >
                      > > PS. Out of respect for our fellow group members and WO, I
                      requested
                      > > permission from the moderator of the group before posting this
                      > > information.

                    • Rudi
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 4 2:11 PM
                        Raul,
                        Will your adapter work with the Orion 80ed also.
                        I just got one and would like to use it on my Konus
                        mount
                        (which happens to be in ups world somewhare on its way
                        to me).
                        And should I get the short or longer one?
                        Thanks in advance.
                        Rudi

                        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                        dsl.yahoo.com
                      • Raul
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 5 12:12 AM
                          Hi Rudi, does the orion 80ED mounting block have more than one
                          threaded hole (or one threaded and one unthreaded at least)?
                          If it has more than one, I can recommend our adapter (the 6" one),
                          but if it has only one, I don't think it would be safe to use our
                          adapter and instead would recomend that you use tube rings and a
                          dovetail (like our 8" model).
                          Raul.

                          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Rudi <wa2nub@y...> wrote:

                          > Raul,
                          > Will your adapter work with the Orion 80ed also.
                          > I just got one and would like to use it on my Konus
                          > mount
                          > (which happens to be in ups world somewhare on its way
                          > to me).
                          > And should I get the short or longer one?
                          > Thanks in advance.
                          > Rudi

                          > Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                          > dsl.yahoo.com

                        • Rudi
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 5 6:22 AM
                            Raul,
                            Nah, it has a plain block bolted to the tube with 2
                            screws approx 2" apart at the center of the tube; the
                            balance point with an eyepiece? An Orion rail would
                            mean this piece would have to be removed and lose the
                            tripod mount.
                            Rudi

                            Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                            dsl.yahoo.com