Re: Megrez vs. ZenithStar Family

  • Timm Bottoni
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 29, 2005
      Hi Daniel,

      Looks like you were replying while I was - good evening here, good
      morning for you :)

      Here is a simple listing...

      I would suggest you decide first - do you want AP0 or not?
      Second - how much do you have to spend?
      Third - how much aperture do you want
      Fourth - doublet, triplet, base your decision on feedback from users
      who have tried both (Like Tom Trusak)

      APO scopes
      Price Model
      $3295 Fluoristar 110
      $1998 ZenithStar 105 package
      $1698 ZenithStar 105 OTA
      $798(sale) ZenithStar 80 Fluorite Doublet (Anniv special price)
      $399 ZenithStar 80 SD Doublet APO
      $548 ZenithStar 66 ED Triplet APO 2-speed OTA
      $498 ZenithStar 66 ED Triplet APO OTA
      $1595 Megrez 80 Triplet Fluorite APO
      $928 Megrez 80 Triplet ED APO
      $848 Megrez 80 Doublet Fluorite

      NOT APO scopes
      $399(sale) ZenithStar 80 2-speed OTA plus new year gift
      $499.95 ZenithStar 80 Package
      $399.95 ZenithStar 80 Short OTA
      $499 ZenithStar 80 Short Package (astro or terra)
      $699(sale) ZenithStar 80 Short BinoViewer package
      $498 ZenithStar 66 Petzval 2-speed astro package
      $414 ZenithStar 66 Petzval 2-speed terra package
      $348 ZenithStar 66 Petzval 2-speed OTA

      I know this is a quick breakdown, but this is how my overly
      analytical mind can assemble it shortly so that its reasonably
      straight forward.

      Hope it helps!

      Timm

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "williamopticsmarketing"
      <williamopticsmarketing@y...> wrote:

      > Hello Gentlemen,
      >
      > at the moment (I will stick to 80mm) we have 3 ZenithStar and 3
      > Megrez on the market.
      >
      > The ZenithStar are the achromat ZS80 and ZS80Short (only shorter
      for
      > binoviewing), and the ZenithStar Fluorite Doublet APO (the
      > anniversary scope). The first two are a cemented doublet, the APO
      is
      > an air spaced doublet designed by Thomas Back (TMB).
      >
      > The Megrez on the market right now are the Megrez Fluorite Doublet
      > APO (same optics as the ZSFD), a Megrez Triplet ED APO, and the
      > Megrez Triplet Fluorite APO (once more optics designed by TMB).
      >
      > For more info on each single scope, please refer to the following
      > resurces:
      >
      > 1/Other members in this group, also in the form of previous
      messages.
      > You can use the search function to find what you are looking for.
      > Most topics have been covered here already
      >
      > 2/ Our website. You can see what people said about their scopes in
      > the feedback section. Check also the links to external reviews.
      There
      > are some photos taken with each scope, for some scopes we do not
      have
      > many pics up yet. Remember that the pics represent first of all the
      > photographer (we use our gallery to show our users' work not to
      show
      > off only the best photos...)
      >

      > 3/ Check out other online forums such as Cloudynights, Astromart,
      > etc. You can find a full list here:
      > http://www.william-optics.com/wowebs/links/discussion.htm
      >

      > I hope this helps for a start!
      >
      > 4/ If you have specific questions which are still unaswered, please
      > contact us at wo@w... or support@w...
      >

      > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "starsearcheffort3"
      > <william001@f...> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, hypergut <no_reply@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > To All:
      > > >
      > > > Having been smitten with the ZSSD 66 APO, I am looking at more
      > > > "refractor" APO aperture for my future, i.e., 80mm or greater.
      > > >
      > > > Can anyone clearly outline the advantages and qualities of the
      > various
      > > > members of these two design groups, Megrez vs. ZenithStar
      Family,
      > > > e.g., is one design better for imaging versus visual use?
      Physical
      > > > properties (other than weight)? Mechanical differences? Optical
      > > > advantages?
      > > >
      > > > The Megrez 80mm FD is it a fluorite achromat, semi-apo or apo?
      > > > The other members are apochromats, correct?
      > > >
      > > > What advantage has the Megrez fluorite Triplet Apo over the
      Megrez
      > > > 80mm IIED Apo? What advantage has any 80mm Megrez design over
      the
      > new
      > > > 80mm ZenithStar 80mm fluorite doublet (the so-called red
      > temptress).
      > > > Is the 80mm ZSFD an apo?
      > > >
      > > > Unrelated to my past or future purchases, but maybe helpful to
      > others,
      > > > why would someone choose the ZS66 Petzval Semi-Apo ED or the
      ZS66
      > > > Triplet ED-Apo versions over the ZSSD 66 Apo?
      > > >
      > > > Curious Minds Want to Know!
      > > >
      > > > Robert in Hershey
      > > >
      > > > P.S. as you can see, I now own cadioptrics, refractors and a
      big
      > newt:
      > > > 18" f4.5 Obsession, Galaxy/AN (with ZSSD 66mm Apo superfinder)
      > > > 8" f10 Meade LX90 SCT
      > > > 5" f10 Intes-Micro Mak-Cas
      > > > 4.7" f6 Orion Astroview 120ST Achro
      > > >

      > > Robert,
      > > Good question.
      > >
      > > I asked it here a week or so ago, what are the differences
      between
      > the
      > > Megrez "family" and the Zenithstar "family?"
      > >
      > > Answer: nobody knows.
      > >
      > > A FAQ is being considered but until that time your guess is as
      good
      > > as mine.
      > >
      > > But why would a web site want to make clear the differences
      between
      > > its two main product lines?
      > >
      > > And who would expect a users' group to know a recodite thing like
      > that?
      > > Clear skies,
      > > Bill Meyers

    • Chris Schroeder
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 29, 2005
        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "williamopticsmarketing"
        <williamopticsmarketing@y...> wrote:

        > ZenithStar FD and Megrez FD both share the same APO optics, only
        > difference is the tube.
        > ZS FD is in its second and last batch (this is the famour
        Anniversary
        > scope), preordering before the end of 2005 guarantees the
        promotional
        > price of US$ 799.
        > If there is any left in Jan. (and I am being honest, I am beginning
        > to doubt it) price will be US$ 848, same as the Megrez version.

        So if I'm reading this correctly, after the Anniv model is sold out,
        the only 80mm APO scopes will be the megrez line?

        Chris
      • Chris Schroeder
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 29, 2005
          Let me take a stab at this, remember this is just my opinion and
          it's worth exactly what you paid for it ;^) My comments will be
          after each of your questions below

          wrote:

          > To All:
          >
          > Having been smitten with the ZSSD 66 APO, I am looking at more
          > "refractor" APO aperture for my future, i.e., 80mm or greater.
          >
          > Can anyone clearly outline the advantages and qualities of the
          various
          > members of these two design groups, Megrez vs. ZenithStar Family,
          > e.g., is one design better for imaging versus visual use? Physical
          > properties (other than weight)? Mechanical differences? Optical
          > advantages?

          I believe they are just different styles with pretty much equal
          performance mechanically

          > The Megrez 80mm FD is it a fluorite achromat, semi-apo or apo?
          > The other members are apochromats, correct?

          APO

          > What advantage has the Megrez fluorite Triplet Apo over the Megrez
          > 80mm IIED Apo? What advantage has any 80mm Megrez design over the
          new
          > 80mm ZenithStar 80mm fluorite doublet (the so-called red
          temptress).

          Better color correction of the Flourite Triplet over both 80IIED and
          80APO

          > Is the 80mm ZSFD an apo?

          Yes

          > Unrelated to my past or future purchases, but maybe helpful to
          others,
          > why would someone choose the ZS66 Petzval Semi-Apo ED or the ZS66
          > Triplet ED-Apo versions over the ZSSD 66 Apo?

          Petzval is a semi-APO, but because of it's design, it has a very
          flat field which is great for Astrophotography. The triplet should
          have the best color correct of the three. The SD APO is a doublet,
          which gives it a litter weight and quicker cooling over a triplet
          but still have good color correction.

          Clear as mud now? Hope this helps Robert, Chris

          > Curious Minds Want to Know!
          >
          > Robert in Hershey
          >
          > P.S. as you can see, I now own cadioptrics, refractors and a big
          newt:
          > 18" f4.5 Obsession, Galaxy/AN (with ZSSD 66mm Apo superfinder)
          > 8" f10 Meade LX90 SCT
          > 5" f10 Intes-Micro Mak-Cas
          > 4.7" f6 Orion Astroview 120ST Achro

        • williamopticsmarketing
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 29, 2005
            Chris, the future is beyond me!! ;-)

            Wait and see!

            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Schroeder"
            <chris_jsa@y...> wrote:

            > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "williamopticsmarketing"
            > <williamopticsmarketing@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > ZenithStar FD and Megrez FD both share the same APO optics, only
            > > difference is the tube.
            > > ZS FD is in its second and last batch (this is the famour
            > Anniversary
            > > scope), preordering before the end of 2005 guarantees the
            > promotional
            > > price of US$ 799.
            > > If there is any left in Jan. (and I am being honest, I am
            beginning
            > > to doubt it) price will be US$ 848, same as the Megrez version.
            > >

            > So if I'm reading this correctly, after the Anniv model is sold
            out,
            > the only 80mm APO scopes will be the megrez line?
            >
            > Chris

          • Timm Bottoni
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 29, 2005
              Oops - another typo

              Should be
              $399 ZenithStar 66 SD Doublet APO

              And nice job of explaining the optics choices Chris! I am fine with
              the specs, but as to why one is better, I will leave that to you
              folks who are more experienced.

              Timm

              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm Bottoni"
              <t.bottoni@c...> wrote:

              > Hi Daniel,
              >
              > Looks like you were replying while I was - good evening here, good
              > morning for you :)
              >
              > Here is a simple listing...
              >
              > I would suggest you decide first - do you want AP0 or not?
              > Second - how much do you have to spend?
              > Third - how much aperture do you want
              > Fourth - doublet, triplet, base your decision on feedback from
              users
              > who have tried both (Like Tom Trusak)
              >
              > APO scopes
              > Price Model
              > $3295 Fluoristar 110
              > $1998 ZenithStar 105 package
              > $1698 ZenithStar 105 OTA
              > $798(sale) ZenithStar 80 Fluorite Doublet (Anniv special price)
              > $399 ZenithStar 80 SD Doublet APO
              > $548 ZenithStar 66 ED Triplet APO 2-speed OTA
              > $498 ZenithStar 66 ED Triplet APO OTA
              > $1595 Megrez 80 Triplet Fluorite APO
              > $928 Megrez 80 Triplet ED APO
              > $848 Megrez 80 Doublet Fluorite
              >
              > NOT APO scopes
              > $399(sale) ZenithStar 80 2-speed OTA plus new year gift
              > $499.95 ZenithStar 80 Package
              > $399.95 ZenithStar 80 Short OTA
              > $499 ZenithStar 80 Short Package (astro or terra)
              > $699(sale) ZenithStar 80 Short BinoViewer package
              > $498 ZenithStar 66 Petzval 2-speed astro package
              > $414 ZenithStar 66 Petzval 2-speed terra package
              > $348 ZenithStar 66 Petzval 2-speed OTA
              >
              > I know this is a quick breakdown, but this is how my overly
              > analytical mind can assemble it shortly so that its reasonably
              > straight forward.
              >
              > Hope it helps!
              >
              > Timm

            • michelderomme
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 30, 2005
                Well
                What are we talking about ?
                SD APO, ED APO, fluorite APO, fluorite doublet ...
                CA F2, FPL53 or others ?
                are red and blue waves focused at the same point ?
                TMB use ED, TAk use fluorite, AP uses ED, Skywatcher use ED(FPL53
                indeed), WO use DE, ED, fluorite, are some better than others ? why ?
                Michel
                Membre SAPL 87
                http://www.astrosurf.com/deromme/accueil.htm
                PROTEGEONS NOTRE ENVIRONNEMENT NOCTURNE !!!
                ADHEREZ A L'ANPCN
                Commandez les nouveaux autocollants ANPCN !
                http://www.astrosurf.com/anpcn/

                <t.bottoni@c...> wrote:

                > Oops - another typo
                >
                > Should be
                > $399 ZenithStar 66 SD Doublet APO
                >
                > And nice job of explaining the optics choices Chris! I am fine
                with
                > the specs, but as to why one is better, I will leave that to you
                > folks who are more experienced.
                >
                > Timm
                >
                > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm Bottoni"
                > <t.bottoni@c...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Daniel,
                > >
                > > Looks like you were replying while I was - good evening here,
                good
                > > morning for you :)
                > >
                > > Here is a simple listing...
                > >
                > > I would suggest you decide first - do you want AP0 or not?
                > > Second - how much do you have to spend?
                > > Third - how much aperture do you want
                > > Fourth - doublet, triplet, base your decision on feedback from
                > users
                > > who have tried both (Like Tom Trusak)
                > >
                > > APO scopes
                > > Price Model
                > > $3295 Fluoristar 110
                > > $1998 ZenithStar 105 package
                > > $1698 ZenithStar 105 OTA
                > > $798(sale) ZenithStar 80 Fluorite Doublet (Anniv special price)
                > > $399 ZenithStar 80 SD Doublet APO
                > > $548 ZenithStar 66 ED Triplet APO 2-speed OTA
                > > $498 ZenithStar 66 ED Triplet APO OTA
                > > $1595 Megrez 80 Triplet Fluorite APO
                > > $928 Megrez 80 Triplet ED APO
                > > $848 Megrez 80 Doublet Fluorite
                > >
                > > NOT APO scopes
                > > $399(sale) ZenithStar 80 2-speed OTA plus new year gift
                > > $499.95 ZenithStar 80 Package
                > > $399.95 ZenithStar 80 Short OTA
                > > $499 ZenithStar 80 Short Package (astro or terra)
                > > $699(sale) ZenithStar 80 Short BinoViewer package
                > > $498 ZenithStar 66 Petzval 2-speed astro package
                > > $414 ZenithStar 66 Petzval 2-speed terra package
                > > $348 ZenithStar 66 Petzval 2-speed OTA
                > >
                > > I know this is a quick breakdown, but this is how my overly
                > > analytical mind can assemble it shortly so that its reasonably
                > > straight forward.
                > >
                > > Hope it helps!
                > >
                > > Timm

              • Tom Trusock
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 30, 2005
                  Hi Michel,

                  There have already been some wonderful comments in this thread - if
                  you read back, they will probably go a long way towards answering
                  some if not all of your questions, but I'll throw in my .02 cents
                  here as well.

                  ED and SD are generally considered to be two different names for the
                  same family of glasses. I think it was Nikon coined the term ED -
                  prompting Canon to counter with SD. Both were marketing terms that
                  described glasses with extra, special or supra dispersion properties
                  as measured by their abbe number. ED is more typically used today,
                  but there's nothing inherently incorrect about SD.

                  ED/SD glasses can cover a wide range, but for today's astronomical
                  applications usually consist of glasses with similar properties to
                  those found in Ohara's catalog under the designations s-fpl51, s-
                  fpl52 and s-fpl53 (more often referred to as FPL51, 52 and 53). For
                  the record, from it's abbe number there is minimal diffference
                  between fluorite and fpl53. I've been given to understand that pure
                  fluorite does have a small advantage in that it has a slightly
                  higher transmission and lower scatter in certain wavelengths than
                  fpl-53, but the advantages are mainly photographic, and not all that
                  great. Equally important to the choice of the ED/SD glass is the
                  choice of a good mate.

                  Everyone talks about color correction, but the sheer fact of the
                  matter is there really are other things that are just if not more
                  important depending on the application you have in mind. I suspect
                  everyone picks on color correction because it's easy to see.

                  In any case, the design of the lens and the glasses used are
                  paramount in determining correction, however, many other factors
                  come into play as well. Typically the best doublets are not as well
                  corrected as the best corrected triplets - however, doublets are
                  lighter, cool down faster, and have a few other advantages as well
                  (largely to the visual observer). Triplets, OTOH, are generally
                  preferred for photographic applications.

                  As I see it, the major difference between the ZenithStar and Megrez
                  family have more to do with the OTA than the lenses. Outside of the
                  FLT-100 (which is a different beast entirely) the Megrez scopes are
                  white with a painted or powercoated finish, and use a foam baffle
                  system. They have a more traditional look to them. The Zenithstars
                  tend to be anodized and use a cone baffle system. The anodizing
                  looks extremely sharp, but has a single drawback - it picks up
                  fingerprints like crazy.

                  I've seen samples of both lines, and both do their job well. Which
                  you prefer is entirely up to you.

                  As per the 66 doublet / triplet / petzval discussion - well, as a
                  visual observer, I tend to prefer doublets. In general, a good
                  ED/SD doublet is smaller, lighter (and thus easier to mount), and
                  still offers acceptable color correction. I haven't seen the 66 SD
                  doublet yet, but I'm lucky enough to have the fluorite version (a
                  very limited production). Assuming the SD version performs like the
                  fluorite version, I'd recommend the SD doublet for the visual
                  observer. The triplet generally offers better color correction for
                  those who are really picky about that or who are photographers.
                  Petzvals are an excellent choice for someone who is on a slightly
                  more restriced budget. The petzval gives about 30-35% less false
                  color than a similar size achro simply due to it's design. While I
                  wouldn't recommend it for typical photography due to it's color
                  correction, it would do very well for narrow band applications.

                  Hope something here helps.

                  Tom T.

                  --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "michelderomme"
                  <michel.deromme@f...> wrote:

                  > Well
                  > What are we talking about ?
                  > SD APO, ED APO, fluorite APO, fluorite doublet ...
                  > CA F2, FPL53 or others ?
                  > are red and blue waves focused at the same point ?
                  > TMB use ED, TAk use fluorite, AP uses ED, Skywatcher use ED(FPL53
                  > indeed), WO use DE, ED, fluorite, are some better than others ?
                  why ?
                  > Michel
                  > Membre SAPL 87
                  > http://www.astrosurf.com/deromme/accueil.htm
                  > PROTEGEONS NOTRE ENVIRONNEMENT NOCTURNE !!!
                  > ADHEREZ A L'ANPCN
                  > Commandez les nouveaux autocollants ANPCN !
                  > http://www.astrosurf.com/anpcn/
                  >
                  > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm Bottoni"
                  > <t.bottoni@c...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Oops - another typo
                  > >
                  > > Should be
                  > > $399 ZenithStar 66 SD Doublet APO
                  > >
                  > > And nice job of explaining the optics choices Chris! I am fine
                  > with
                  > > the specs, but as to why one is better, I will leave that to you
                  > > folks who are more experienced.
                  > >
                  > > Timm
                  > >
                  > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm Bottoni"
                  > > <t.bottoni@c...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi Daniel,
                  > > >
                  > > > Looks like you were replying while I was - good evening here,
                  > good
                  > > > morning for you :)
                  > > >
                  > > > Here is a simple listing...
                  > > >
                  > > > I would suggest you decide first - do you want AP0 or not?
                  > > > Second - how much do you have to spend?
                  > > > Third - how much aperture do you want
                  > > > Fourth - doublet, triplet, base your decision on feedback from
                  > > users
                  > > > who have tried both (Like Tom Trusak)
                  > > >
                  > > > APO scopes
                  > > > Price Model
                  > > > $3295 Fluoristar 110
                  > > > $1998 ZenithStar 105 package
                  > > > $1698 ZenithStar 105 OTA
                  > > > $798(sale) ZenithStar 80 Fluorite Doublet (Anniv special
                  price)
                  > > > $399 ZenithStar 80 SD Doublet APO
                  > > > $548 ZenithStar 66 ED Triplet APO 2-speed OTA
                  > > > $498 ZenithStar 66 ED Triplet APO OTA
                  > > > $1595 Megrez 80 Triplet Fluorite APO
                  > > > $928 Megrez 80 Triplet ED APO
                  > > > $848 Megrez 80 Doublet Fluorite
                  > > >
                  > > > NOT APO scopes
                  > > > $399(sale) ZenithStar 80 2-speed OTA plus new year gift
                  > > > $499.95 ZenithStar 80 Package
                  > > > $399.95 ZenithStar 80 Short OTA
                  > > > $499 ZenithStar 80 Short Package (astro or terra)
                  > > > $699(sale) ZenithStar 80 Short BinoViewer package
                  > > > $498 ZenithStar 66 Petzval 2-speed astro package
                  > > > $414 ZenithStar 66 Petzval 2-speed terra package
                  > > > $348 ZenithStar 66 Petzval 2-speed OTA
                  > > >
                  > > > I know this is a quick breakdown, but this is how my overly
                  > > > analytical mind can assemble it shortly so that its reasonably
                  > > > straight forward.
                  > > >
                  > > > Hope it helps!
                  > > >
                  > > > Timm

                • Tom Trusock
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 30, 2005
                    Just so there's no confusion, I should make it clear that my comments
                    about the petzval design were in reference to the 66 currently
                    offered. Other petzvals (even perhaps those on tap at WO) can have
                    better color correction than nearly any other style of telescope.
                    (The NP101 is an excellent example of best of a breed apochromatic
                    petzval.) Like any other design however, they have their own benefits
                    and limitations.

                  • fccolosimo
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
                      Hi Tom,
                      You mentioned it briefly as 'a whole different story' but can you
                      comment on the FLT 110 as the best choice for wide field
                      astrophotography? I was able to play around with an 102mm f/5 achro
                      and found the wide field of view to be very exciting. The relatively
                      poor color correction resulted in poor color results but the images
                      shot through a green filter were great. I have decided to get a better
                      scope largely for CCD work, and it seems that the Petval design
                      produces nice wide views. However, I mainly want to make sure that I
                      get good color correction and good resolution - small stars with
                      no 'bloat' are important to me. The FLT 110, the Tak FSQ and and the
                      TV NP101 are all candidates at present and somehow I have to get my
                      choice down to the best one...

                      Thanks!

                      Frank

                      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Trusock" <tomt@c...> wrote:

                      > Just so there's no confusion, I should make it clear that my comments
                      > about the petzval design were in reference to the 66 currently
                      > offered. Other petzvals (even perhaps those on tap at WO) can have
                      > better color correction than nearly any other style of telescope.
                      > (The NP101 is an excellent example of best of a breed apochromatic
                      > petzval.) Like any other design however, they have their own benefits
                      > and limitations.

                    • Tom Trusock
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
                        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "fccolosimo" <fcc0@h...>
                        wrote:

                        > Hi Tom,
                        > You mentioned it briefly as 'a whole different story' but can you
                        > comment on the FLT 110 as the best choice for wide field
                        > astrophotography? I was able to play around with an 102mm f/5
                        achro
                        > and found the wide field of view to be very exciting. The
                        relatively
                        > poor color correction resulted in poor color results but the
                        images
                        > shot through a green filter were great. I have decided to get a
                        better
                        > scope largely for CCD work, and it seems that the Petval design
                        > produces nice wide views. However, I mainly want to make sure
                        that I
                        > get good color correction and good resolution - small stars with
                        > no 'bloat' are important to me. The FLT 110, the Tak FSQ and and
                        the
                        > TV NP101 are all candidates at present and somehow I have to get
                        my
                        > choice down to the best one...
                        >
                        > Thanks!
                        >
                        > Frank

                        Hi Frank, I really can't comment a whole lot on the astrophotography
                        side. About all I can say is that take a look at images of all
                        three with your camera of choice, and then talk to the
                        photographers. An astrophotographically inclined friend purchased
                        the FLT I had for review - about all I can tell you is that that
                        last I knew, he was very happy with it.