Re: Megrez vs. ZenithStar Family

  • williamopticsmarketing
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 29, 2005
      Hello Gentlemen,

      at the moment (I will stick to 80mm) we have 3 ZenithStar and 3
      Megrez on the market.

      The ZenithStar are the achromat ZS80 and ZS80Short (only shorter for
      binoviewing), and the ZenithStar Fluorite Doublet APO (the
      anniversary scope). The first two are a cemented doublet, the APO is
      an air spaced doublet designed by Thomas Back (TMB).

      The Megrez on the market right now are the Megrez Fluorite Doublet
      APO (same optics as the ZSFD), a Megrez Triplet ED APO, and the
      Megrez Triplet Fluorite APO (once more optics designed by TMB).

      For more info on each single scope, please refer to the following
      resurces:

      1/Other members in this group, also in the form of previous messages.
      You can use the search function to find what you are looking for.
      Most topics have been covered here already

      2/ Our website. You can see what people said about their scopes in
      the feedback section. Check also the links to external reviews. There
      are some photos taken with each scope, for some scopes we do not have
      many pics up yet. Remember that the pics represent first of all the
      photographer (we use our gallery to show our users' work not to show
      off only the best photos...)

      3/ Check out other online forums such as Cloudynights, Astromart,
      etc. You can find a full list here:
      http://www.william-optics.com/wowebs/links/discussion.htm

      I hope this helps for a start!

      4/ If you have specific questions which are still unaswered, please
      contact us at wo@... or support@...

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "starsearcheffort3"
      <william001@f...> wrote:

      > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, hypergut <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:

      > > To All:
      > >
      > > Having been smitten with the ZSSD 66 APO, I am looking at more
      > > "refractor" APO aperture for my future, i.e., 80mm or greater.
      > >
      > > Can anyone clearly outline the advantages and qualities of the
      various
      > > members of these two design groups, Megrez vs. ZenithStar Family,
      > > e.g., is one design better for imaging versus visual use? Physical
      > > properties (other than weight)? Mechanical differences? Optical
      > > advantages?
      > >
      > > The Megrez 80mm FD is it a fluorite achromat, semi-apo or apo?
      > > The other members are apochromats, correct?
      > >
      > > What advantage has the Megrez fluorite Triplet Apo over the Megrez
      > > 80mm IIED Apo? What advantage has any 80mm Megrez design over the
      new
      > > 80mm ZenithStar 80mm fluorite doublet (the so-called red
      temptress).
      > > Is the 80mm ZSFD an apo?
      > >
      > > Unrelated to my past or future purchases, but maybe helpful to
      others,
      > > why would someone choose the ZS66 Petzval Semi-Apo ED or the ZS66
      > > Triplet ED-Apo versions over the ZSSD 66 Apo?
      > >
      > > Curious Minds Want to Know!
      > >
      > > Robert in Hershey
      > >
      > > P.S. as you can see, I now own cadioptrics, refractors and a big
      newt:
      > > 18" f4.5 Obsession, Galaxy/AN (with ZSSD 66mm Apo superfinder)
      > > 8" f10 Meade LX90 SCT
      > > 5" f10 Intes-Micro Mak-Cas
      > > 4.7" f6 Orion Astroview 120ST Achro
      > >

      > Robert,
      > Good question.
      >
      > I asked it here a week or so ago, what are the differences between
      the
      > Megrez "family" and the Zenithstar "family?"
      >
      > Answer: nobody knows.
      >
      > A FAQ is being considered but until that time your guess is as good
      > as mine.
      >
      > But why would a web site want to make clear the differences between
      > its two main product lines?
      >
      > And who would expect a users' group to know a recodite thing like
      that?
      > Clear skies,
      > Bill Meyers

    • Timm Bottoni
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 29, 2005
        Hi Daniel,

        Looks like you were replying while I was - good evening here, good
        morning for you :)

        Here is a simple listing...

        I would suggest you decide first - do you want AP0 or not?
        Second - how much do you have to spend?
        Third - how much aperture do you want
        Fourth - doublet, triplet, base your decision on feedback from users
        who have tried both (Like Tom Trusak)

        APO scopes
        Price Model
        $3295 Fluoristar 110
        $1998 ZenithStar 105 package
        $1698 ZenithStar 105 OTA
        $798(sale) ZenithStar 80 Fluorite Doublet (Anniv special price)
        $399 ZenithStar 80 SD Doublet APO
        $548 ZenithStar 66 ED Triplet APO 2-speed OTA
        $498 ZenithStar 66 ED Triplet APO OTA
        $1595 Megrez 80 Triplet Fluorite APO
        $928 Megrez 80 Triplet ED APO
        $848 Megrez 80 Doublet Fluorite

        NOT APO scopes
        $399(sale) ZenithStar 80 2-speed OTA plus new year gift
        $499.95 ZenithStar 80 Package
        $399.95 ZenithStar 80 Short OTA
        $499 ZenithStar 80 Short Package (astro or terra)
        $699(sale) ZenithStar 80 Short BinoViewer package
        $498 ZenithStar 66 Petzval 2-speed astro package
        $414 ZenithStar 66 Petzval 2-speed terra package
        $348 ZenithStar 66 Petzval 2-speed OTA

        I know this is a quick breakdown, but this is how my overly
        analytical mind can assemble it shortly so that its reasonably
        straight forward.

        Hope it helps!

        Timm

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "williamopticsmarketing"
        <williamopticsmarketing@y...> wrote:

> [...]
        big
        > newt:
        > > > 18" f4.5 Obsession, Galaxy/AN (with ZSSD 66mm Apo superfinder)
        > > > 8" f10 Meade LX90 SCT
        > > > 5" f10 Intes-Micro Mak-Cas
        > > > 4.7" f6 Orion Astroview 120ST Achro
        > > >

        > > Robert,
        > > Good question.
        > >
        > > I asked it here a week or so ago, what are the differences
        between
        > the
        > > Megrez "family" and the Zenithstar "family?"
        > >
        > > Answer: nobody knows.
        > >
        > > A FAQ is being considered but until that time your guess is as
        good
        > > as mine.
        > >
        > > But why would a web site want to make clear the differences
        between
        > > its two main product lines?
        > >
        > > And who would expect a users' group to know a recodite thing like

      • Chris Schroeder
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 29, 2005
          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "williamopticsmarketing"
          <williamopticsmarketing@y...> wrote:

          > ZenithStar FD and Megrez FD both share the same APO optics, only
          > difference is the tube.
          > ZS FD is in its second and last batch (this is the famour
          Anniversary
          > scope), preordering before the end of 2005 guarantees the
          promotional
          > price of US$ 799.
          > If there is any left in Jan. (and I am being honest, I am beginning
          > to doubt it) price will be US$ 848, same as the Megrez version.

          So if I'm reading this correctly, after the Anniv model is sold out,
          the only 80mm APO scopes will be the megrez line?

          Chris
        • Chris Schroeder
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 29, 2005
            Let me take a stab at this, remember this is just my opinion and
            it's worth exactly what you paid for it ;^) My comments will be
            after each of your questions below

            wrote:

            > To All:
            >
            > Having been smitten with the ZSSD 66 APO, I am looking at more
            > "refractor" APO aperture for my future, i.e., 80mm or greater.
            >
            > Can anyone clearly outline the advantages and qualities of the
            various
            > members of these two design groups, Megrez vs. ZenithStar Family,
            > e.g., is one design better for imaging versus visual use? Physical
            > properties (other than weight)? Mechanical differences? Optical
            > advantages?

            I believe they are just different styles with pretty much equal
            performance mechanically

            > The Megrez 80mm FD is it a fluorite achromat, semi-apo or apo?
            > The other members are apochromats, correct?

            APO

            > What advantage has the Megrez fluorite Triplet Apo over the Megrez
            > 80mm IIED Apo? What advantage has any 80mm Megrez design over the
            new
            > 80mm ZenithStar 80mm fluorite doublet (the so-called red
            temptress).

            Better color correction of the Flourite Triplet over both 80IIED and
            80APO

            > Is the 80mm ZSFD an apo?

            Yes

            > Unrelated to my past or future purchases, but maybe helpful to
            others,
            > why would someone choose the ZS66 Petzval Semi-Apo ED or the ZS66
            > Triplet ED-Apo versions over the ZSSD 66 Apo?

            Petzval is a semi-APO, but because of it's design, it has a very
            flat field which is great for Astrophotography. The triplet should
            have the best color correct of the three. The SD APO is a doublet,
            which gives it a litter weight and quicker cooling over a triplet
            but still have good color correction.

            Clear as mud now? Hope this helps Robert, Chris

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 29, 2005
              Chris, the future is beyond me!! ;-)

              Wait and see!

              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Schroeder"
              <chris_jsa@y...> wrote:

              > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "williamopticsmarketing"
              > <williamopticsmarketing@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > ZenithStar FD and Megrez FD both share the same APO optics, only
              > > difference is the tube.
              > > ZS FD is in its second and last batch (this is the famour
              > Anniversary
              > > scope), preordering before the end of 2005 guarantees the
              > promotional
              > > price of US$ 799.
              > > If there is any left in Jan. (and I am being honest, I am
              beginning
              > > to doubt it) price will be US$ 848, same as the Megrez version.
              > >

              > So if I'm reading this correctly, after the Anniv model is sold
              out,
              > the only 80mm APO scopes will be the megrez line?
              >
              > Chris

            • Timm Bottoni
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 29, 2005
                Oops - another typo

                Should be
                $399 ZenithStar 66 SD Doublet APO

                And nice job of explaining the optics choices Chris! I am fine with
                the specs, but as to why one is better, I will leave that to you
                folks who are more experienced.

                Timm

                --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm Bottoni"
                <t.bottoni@c...> wrote:

                > Hi Daniel,
                >
                > Looks like you were replying while I was - good evening here, good
                > morning for you :)
                >
                > Here is a simple listing...
                >
                > I would suggest you decide first - do you want AP0 or not?
                > Second - how much do you have to spend?
                > Third - how much aperture do you want
                > Fourth - doublet, triplet, base your decision on feedback from
                users
                > who have tried both (Like Tom Trusak)
                >
                > APO scopes
                > Price Model
                > $3295 Fluoristar 110
                > $1998 ZenithStar 105 package
                > $1698 ZenithStar 105 OTA
                > $798(sale) ZenithStar 80 Fluorite Doublet (Anniv special price)
                > $399 ZenithStar 80 SD Doublet APO
                > $548 ZenithStar 66 ED Triplet APO 2-speed OTA
                > $498 ZenithStar 66 ED Triplet APO OTA
                > $1595 Megrez 80 Triplet Fluorite APO
                > $928 Megrez 80 Triplet ED APO
                > $848 Megrez 80 Doublet Fluorite
                >
                > NOT APO scopes
                > $399(sale) ZenithStar 80 2-speed OTA plus new year gift
                > $499.95 ZenithStar 80 Package
                > $399.95 ZenithStar 80 Short OTA
                > $499 ZenithStar 80 Short Package (astro or terra)
                > $699(sale) ZenithStar 80 Short BinoViewer package
                > $498 ZenithStar 66 Petzval 2-speed astro package
                > $414 ZenithStar 66 Petzval 2-speed terra package
                > $348 ZenithStar 66 Petzval 2-speed OTA
                >
                > I know this is a quick breakdown, but this is how my overly
                > analytical mind can assemble it shortly so that its reasonably
                > straight forward.
                >
                > Hope it helps!
                >
                > Timm

              • michelderomme
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 30, 2005
                  Well
                  What are we talking about ?
                  SD APO, ED APO, fluorite APO, fluorite doublet ...
                  CA F2, FPL53 or others ?
                  are red and blue waves focused at the same point ?
                  TMB use ED, TAk use fluorite, AP uses ED, Skywatcher use ED(FPL53
                  indeed), WO use DE, ED, fluorite, are some better than others ? why ?
                  Michel
                  Membre SAPL 87
                  http://www.astrosurf.com/deromme/accueil.htm
                  PROTEGEONS NOTRE ENVIRONNEMENT NOCTURNE !!!
                  ADHEREZ A L'ANPCN
                  Commandez les nouveaux autocollants ANPCN !
                  http://www.astrosurf.com/anpcn/

                  <t.bottoni@c...> wrote:

                  > Oops - another typo
                  >
                  > Should be
                  > $399 ZenithStar 66 SD Doublet APO
                  >
                  > And nice job of explaining the optics choices Chris! I am fine
                  with
                  > the specs, but as to why one is better, I will leave that to you
                  > folks who are more experienced.
                  >
                  > Timm
                  >
                  > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm Bottoni"
                  > <t.bottoni@c...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Daniel,
                  > >
                  > > Looks like you were replying while I was - good evening here,
                  good
                  > > morning for you :)
                  > >
                  > > Here is a simple listing...
                  > >
                  > > I would suggest you decide first - do you want AP0 or not?
                  > > Second - how much do you have to spend?
                  > > Third - how much aperture do you want
                  > > Fourth - doublet, triplet, base your decision on feedback from
                  > users
                  > > who have tried both (Like Tom Trusak)
                  > >
                  > > APO scopes
                  > > Price Model
                  > > $3295 Fluoristar 110
                  > > $1998 ZenithStar 105 package
                  > > $1698 ZenithStar 105 OTA
                  > > $798(sale) ZenithStar 80 Fluorite Doublet (Anniv special price)
                  > > $399 ZenithStar 80 SD Doublet APO
                  > > $548 ZenithStar 66 ED Triplet APO 2-speed OTA
                  > > $498 ZenithStar 66 ED Triplet APO OTA
                  > > $1595 Megrez 80 Triplet Fluorite APO
                  > > $928 Megrez 80 Triplet ED APO
                  > > $848 Megrez 80 Doublet Fluorite
                  > >
                  > > NOT APO scopes
                  > > $399(sale) ZenithStar 80 2-speed OTA plus new year gift
                  > > $499.95 ZenithStar 80 Package
                  > > $399.95 ZenithStar 80 Short OTA
                  > > $499 ZenithStar 80 Short Package (astro or terra)
                  > > $699(sale) ZenithStar 80 Short BinoViewer package
                  > > $498 ZenithStar 66 Petzval 2-speed astro package
                  > > $414 ZenithStar 66 Petzval 2-speed terra package
                  > > $348 ZenithStar 66 Petzval 2-speed OTA
                  > >
                  > > I know this is a quick breakdown, but this is how my overly
                  > > analytical mind can assemble it shortly so that its reasonably
                  > > straight forward.
                  > >
                  > > Hope it helps!
                  > >
                  > > Timm

                • Tom Trusock
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 30, 2005
                    Hi Michel,

                    There have already been some wonderful comments in this thread - if
                    you read back, they will probably go a long way towards answering
                    some if not all of your questions, but I'll throw in my .02 cents
                    here as well.

                    ED and SD are generally considered to be two different names for the
                    same family of glasses. I think it was Nikon coined the term ED -
                    prompting Canon to counter with SD. Both were marketing terms that
                    described glasses with extra, special or supra dispersion properties
                    as measured by their abbe number. ED is more typically used today,
                    but there's nothing inherently incorrect about SD.

                    ED/SD glasses can cover a wide range, but for today's astronomical
                    applications usually consist of glasses with similar properties to
                    those found in Ohara's catalog under the designations s-fpl51, s-
                    fpl52 and s-fpl53 (more often referred to as FPL51, 52 and 53). For
                    the record, from it's abbe number there is minimal diffference
                    between fluorite and fpl53. I've been given to understand that pure
                    fluorite does have a small advantage in that it has a slightly
                    higher transmission and lower scatter in certain wavelengths than
                    fpl-53, but the advantages are mainly photographic, and not all that
                    great. Equally important to the choice of the ED/SD glass is the
                    choice of a good mate.

                    Everyone talks about color correction, but the sheer fact of the
                    matter is there really are other things that are just if not more
                    important depending on the application you have in mind. I suspect
                    everyone picks on color correction because it's easy to see.

                    In any case, the design of the lens and the glasses used are
                    paramount in determining correction, however, many other factors
                    come into play as well. Typically the best doublets are not as well
                    corrected as the best corrected triplets - however, doublets are
                    lighter, cool down faster, and have a few other advantages as well
                    (largely to the visual observer). Triplets, OTOH, are generally
                    preferred for photographic applications.

                    As I see it, the major difference between the ZenithStar and Megrez
                    family have more to do with the OTA than the lenses. Outside of the
                    FLT-100 (which is a different beast entirely) the Megrez scopes are
                    white with a painted or powercoated finish, and use a foam baffle
                    system. They have a more traditional look to them. The Zenithstars
                    tend to be anodized and use a cone baffle system. The anodizing
                    looks extremely sharp, but has a single drawback - it picks up
                    fingerprints like crazy.

                    I've seen samples of both lines, and both do their job well. Which
                    you prefer is entirely up to you.

                    As per the 66 doublet / triplet / petzval discussion - well, as a
                    visual observer, I tend to prefer doublets. In general, a good
                    ED/SD doublet is smaller, lighter (and thus easier to mount), and
                    still offers acceptable color correction. I haven't seen the 66 SD
                    doublet yet, but I'm lucky enough to have the fluorite version (a
                    very limited production). Assuming the SD version performs like the
                    fluorite version, I'd recommend the SD doublet for the visual
                    observer. The triplet generally offers better color correction for
                    those who are really picky about that or who are photographers.
                    Petzvals are an excellent choice for someone who is on a slightly
                    more restriced budget. The petzval gives about 30-35% less false
                    color than a similar size achro simply due to it's design. While I
                    wouldn't recommend it for typical photography due to it's color
                    correction, it would do very well for narrow band applications.

                    Hope something here helps.

                    Tom T.

                    --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "michelderomme"
                    <michel.deromme@f...> wrote:

                    > Well
                    > What are we talking about ?
                    > SD APO, ED APO, fluorite APO, fluorite doublet ...
                    > CA F2, FPL53 or others ?
                    > are red and blue waves focused at the same point ?
                    > TMB use ED, TAk use fluorite, AP uses ED, Skywatcher use ED(FPL53
                    > indeed), WO use DE, ED, fluorite, are some better than others ?
                    why ?
                    > Michel
                    > Membre SAPL 87
                    > http://www.astrosurf.com/deromme/accueil.htm
                    > PROTEGEONS NOTRE ENVIRONNEMENT NOCTURNE !!!
                    > ADHEREZ A L'ANPCN
                    > Commandez les nouveaux autocollants ANPCN !
                    > http://www.astrosurf.com/anpcn/
                    >
                    > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm Bottoni"
                    > <t.bottoni@c...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Oops - another typo
                    > >
                    > > Should be
                    > > $399 ZenithStar 66 SD Doublet APO
                    > >
                    > > And nice job of explaining the optics choices Chris! I am fine
                    > with
                    > > the specs, but as to why one is better, I will leave that to you
                    > > folks who are more experienced.
                    > >
                    > > Timm
                    > >
                    > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm Bottoni"
                    > > <t.bottoni@c...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hi Daniel,
                    > > >
                    > > > Looks like you were replying while I was - good evening here,
                    > good
                    > > > morning for you :)
                    > > >
                    > > > Here is a simple listing...
                    > > >
                    > > > I would suggest you decide first - do you want AP0 or not?
                    > > > Second - how much do you have to spend?
                    > > > Third - how much aperture do you want
                    > > > Fourth - doublet, triplet, base your decision on feedback from
                    > > users
                    > > > who have tried both (Like Tom Trusak)
                    > > >
                    > > > APO scopes
                    > > > Price Model
                    > > > $3295 Fluoristar 110
                    > > > $1998 ZenithStar 105 package
                    > > > $1698 ZenithStar 105 OTA
                    > > > $798(sale) ZenithStar 80 Fluorite Doublet (Anniv special
                    price)
                    > > > $399 ZenithStar 80 SD Doublet APO
                    > > > $548 ZenithStar 66 ED Triplet APO 2-speed OTA
                    > > > $498 ZenithStar 66 ED Triplet APO OTA
                    > > > $1595 Megrez 80 Triplet Fluorite APO
                    > > > $928 Megrez 80 Triplet ED APO
                    > > > $848 Megrez 80 Doublet Fluorite
                    > > >
                    > > > NOT APO scopes
                    > > > $399(sale) ZenithStar 80 2-speed OTA plus new year gift
                    > > > $499.95 ZenithStar 80 Package
                    > > > $399.95 ZenithStar 80 Short OTA
                    > > > $499 ZenithStar 80 Short Package (astro or terra)
                    > > > $699(sale) ZenithStar 80 Short BinoViewer package
                    > > > $498 ZenithStar 66 Petzval 2-speed astro package
                    > > > $414 ZenithStar 66 Petzval 2-speed terra package
                    > > > $348 ZenithStar 66 Petzval 2-speed OTA
                    > > >
                    > > > I know this is a quick breakdown, but this is how my overly
                    > > > analytical mind can assemble it shortly so that its reasonably
                    > > > straight forward.
                    > > >
                    > > > Hope it helps!
                    > > >
                    > > > Timm

                  • Tom Trusock
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 30, 2005
                      Just so there's no confusion, I should make it clear that my comments
                      about the petzval design were in reference to the 66 currently
                      offered. Other petzvals (even perhaps those on tap at WO) can have
                      better color correction than nearly any other style of telescope.
                      (The NP101 is an excellent example of best of a breed apochromatic
                      petzval.) Like any other design however, they have their own benefits
                      and limitations.

                    • fccolosimo
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
                        Hi Tom,
                        You mentioned it briefly as 'a whole different story' but can you
                        comment on the FLT 110 as the best choice for wide field
                        astrophotography? I was able to play around with an 102mm f/5 achro
                        and found the wide field of view to be very exciting. The relatively
                        poor color correction resulted in poor color results but the images
                        shot through a green filter were great. I have decided to get a better
                        scope largely for CCD work, and it seems that the Petval design
                        produces nice wide views. However, I mainly want to make sure that I
                        get good color correction and good resolution - small stars with
                        no 'bloat' are important to me. The FLT 110, the Tak FSQ and and the
                        TV NP101 are all candidates at present and somehow I have to get my
                        choice down to the best one...

                        Thanks!

                        Frank

                        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Trusock" <tomt@c...> wrote:

                        > Just so there's no confusion, I should make it clear that my comments
                        > about the petzval design were in reference to the 66 currently
                        > offered. Other petzvals (even perhaps those on tap at WO) can have
                        > better color correction than nearly any other style of telescope.
                        > (The NP101 is an excellent example of best of a breed apochromatic
                        > petzval.) Like any other design however, they have their own benefits
                        > and limitations.

                      • Tom Trusock
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 4, 2006
                          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "fccolosimo" <fcc0@h...>
                          wrote:

                          > Hi Tom,
                          > You mentioned it briefly as 'a whole different story' but can you
                          > comment on the FLT 110 as the best choice for wide field
                          > astrophotography? I was able to play around with an 102mm f/5
                          achro
                          > and found the wide field of view to be very exciting. The
                          relatively
                          > poor color correction resulted in poor color results but the
                          images
                          > shot through a green filter were great. I have decided to get a
                          better
                          > scope largely for CCD work, and it seems that the Petval design
                          > produces nice wide views. However, I mainly want to make sure
                          that I
                          > get good color correction and good resolution - small stars with
                          > no 'bloat' are important to me. The FLT 110, the Tak FSQ and and
                          the
                          > TV NP101 are all candidates at present and somehow I have to get
                          my
                          > choice down to the best one...
                          >
                          > Thanks!
                          >
                          > Frank

                          Hi Frank, I really can't comment a whole lot on the astrophotography
                          side. About all I can say is that take a look at images of all
                          three with your camera of choice, and then talk to the
                          photographers. An astrophotographically inclined friend purchased
                          the FLT I had for review - about all I can tell you is that that
                          last I knew, he was very happy with it.