Re: Follow up to field flattener posts

  • spencerjason
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2005
      "If I move my eye around in the eyepiece the stars begin to get
      elongated and the direction in which they elongate moves as I move my
      eye."

      John,

      I wear glasses to correct astigmatism, but I take them off when I
      observe. What you are describing is exactly what I see with longer
      focal length eyepieces. I had a 32mm Televue Plossl that was virtually
      unusable, for me, with an F6 scope. With my glasses, I could get pin-
      point stars, but without them, the stars would elongate in the
      direction I moved my eye.

      For me, I find this issue goes away with an eyepiece that provides an
      exit pupil of 3mm or less. I have a 19mm Panoptic that is sharp all
      the way to the edge.

      --Jason