Re: [William-Optics] Follow up to field flattener posts

  • Kurt Friedrich
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2005
      have you tried different eyepieces? That sounds like
      it might be the problem.
      Kurt

      --- langejcarl <langejcarl@...> wrote:

      > I have a Megrez 80 II ED. When my pupil is perfectly
      > centered in the
      > eyepiece all stars look perfect. If I move my eye
      > around in the
      > eyepiece the stars begin to get elongated and the
      > direction in which
      > they elongate moves as I move my eye. First, what
      > causes that and does
      > it have a name? Secondly, is that the situation that
      > is addressed by a
      > field flattener?
      > John
      > Detroit

      __________________________________
      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • spencerjason
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2005
        "If I move my eye around in the eyepiece the stars begin to get
        elongated and the direction in which they elongate moves as I move my
        eye."

        John,

        I wear glasses to correct astigmatism, but I take them off when I
        observe. What you are describing is exactly what I see with longer
        focal length eyepieces. I had a 32mm Televue Plossl that was virtually
        unusable, for me, with an F6 scope. With my glasses, I could get pin-
        point stars, but without them, the stars would elongate in the
        direction I moved my eye.

        For me, I find this issue goes away with an eyepiece that provides an
        exit pupil of 3mm or less. I have a 19mm Panoptic that is sharp all
        the way to the edge.

        --Jason