Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Need advice about Vixen/Orion LVW for Megrez 80

Expand Messages
  • Paul Carey
    Thanks so much, your comments and Gary s are very helpful. I m glad you mentioned the 19mm pan Jose, it is certainly less expensive than the 22 and I hadn t
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
    • 0 Attachment
      Thanks so much, your comments and Gary's are very helpful. I'm glad
      you mentioned the 19mm pan Jose, it is certainly less expensive than
      the 22 and I hadn't considered the difficulty of barlowing the 22.
      The eye relief is more on the 22, but it is really hard to know how
      much eye relief my wife really needs - or even if eye relief per se
      is really the issue with the "blackouts" she experiences, when she
      can only catch brief glimpses of an object. These blackouts have
      happened even with the Highlight plossl, which has 12mm ER, and she
      says it has always been a problem for her. But it is never a problem
      with the monstrous EP on the telescope at our local observatory,
      which has very very long eye relief and wide fov.

      We'll definitely see about getting to a star party this Fall and
      trying all sorts of eyepieces - that's surely the best way to see
      what works best. But it will probably be tempting in the mean time
      to order a used ep or two from Astromart.

      William Carey

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Jose Rola" <jose.rola@g...>
      wrote:
      > Hi Paul,
      >
      > I have a Vixen Lanthanun LV that I enjoy very much in my newton
      scopes,
      > but in the Megrez I do not like it a bit.
      > I believe that the they are made to correct the coma in the newtons
      and
      > since the Megrez does not have it it spoils the image.
      >
      > I do not own any vixen LVW but already looked through them and i
      think the
      > they have the same problem in the Megrez.
      >
      > Regarding the 22mm Panoptic, I also do not recomend it because
      since it is
      > one of the panoptics that has the 2''/1.25''
      > barrel, you will have trouble using it with 1.25" barlows.
      >
      > I own a 19mm Panoptic that i enjoy very much, and since I have
      Astigmatism,
      > I always use glasses to observe and the eye relief is ok for me.
      The eye
      > relief of the 19mm panoptic is 13mm and the eye relief of 7 mm
      ploss that
      > you own is less than 6mm.
      >
      > If you are realy interested in the vixen LVW type of eyepieces (20
      mm
      > eyerelief in all the range) maybe you should also consider the TV
      Radian
      > eyepieces, since they all have 20 mm eye relief.
      >
      > I never had the oportunity to look through a WO eyepiece so I
      cannot talk
      > about them, but they all have a big eye relief, and it is a reason
      why they
      > are sold as good to afocal astrophotography.
      >
      > For high amplification, (moon, planets, globular clusters and
      planetary
      > nebula) for me nothing is better than a orthoscopic eyepiece, or if
      you can
      > get one, a TMB monocentric, but this are small field eyepices (40º
      and 30º).
      > Because at high amplification the exit pupil of the eyepiece is
      very small
      > (less than 3mm) people with astigmatism, like me, can take his
      glasses off
      > to observe.
      >
      > Regarding Naglers, since I use glasses to observe, I never manage
      to be
      > close enough to the eyepice to see the whole 82º of the field. I
      see the
      > same field that I see on a Panoptic. Which makes my bank account
      very happy
      > :)
      >
      > But my main advice to you is to look through the eyepiece before
      you buy it,
      > go to a Star Party, a astronomy club metting or in last case take
      the scope
      > with you to the store and try it in daylight.
      >
      > Hope that my mail helped you a bit.
      >
      > Regards
      > Jose Rola
      >
      >
      >
      > ----- Original Message -----
      > From: "Paul Carey" <wcarey@p...>
      > To: <William-Optics@yahoogroups.com>
      > Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 6:09 PM
      > Subject: [William-Optics] Need advice about Vixen/Orion LVW for
      Megrez 80
      >
      >
      > >
      > > Hello group, my wife and I are looking to buy our first widefield
      > > eyepiece for our Megrez 80 SD. The Megrez is really made for
      > > widefield of course, but our tight budget has forced us to start
      with
      > > plossls and a 2.8X Klee barlow. We have been using primarily a
      17mm
      > > Orion Highlight plossl, very bright, sharp and pleasing views but
      not
      > > wide. We also have a TV 7mm plossl. My wife and I use the
      telescope
      > > primarily in our yard, which is very light-polluted. So far we
      have
      > > mostly been viewing the moon, planets and occasionally Orion
      nebula,
      > > all with very good results. Light pollution makes most DSOs
      > > impractical. We almost never use the Megrez for daytime
      observation.
      > >
      > > A very important factor will be ease of viewing, because my wife
      > > doesn't have great vision and has had trouble with our current
      eps.
      > > So I think eye relief/exit pupil considerations will have to be
      strong
      > > factors. Two wide eyepieces that are well-regarded for both eye
      > > relief and wide views are the panoptics in the larger focal
      lengths
      > > and the Vixen LVW, so these have so far been the primary
      candidates.
      > >
      > > Almost everyone recommends the 22mm pan for these 80mm
      refractors, but
      > > it would be at the upper range of our spending limit. I'm also
      not
      > > sure whether 22mm would be enough magnification for us to see
      much in
      > > our light-polluted viewing situation (but we can barlow, of
      course).
      > > The Vixen and Orion LVW's are supposed to be very close to the
      pans
      > > optically, and they maintain a constant 20mm of eye relief at
      lower
      > > fls, unlike the pans. I'm thinking maybe a 13mm LVW would be a
      good
      > > fl for this telescope and our viewing conditions. Anyone have
      advice
      > > or experience with these eps? Thank you,
      > >
      > > William Carey
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > >
    • yahoogroups
      I really don t follow the thread about LVWs compensating for coma. I haven t found this to be the case, but I use mine on Tak refractors. If you don t like
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
      • 0 Attachment
        I really don't follow the thread about LVWs compensating for coma. I
        haven't found this to be the case, but I use mine on Tak refractors.

        If you don't like "blackouts", go for orthos. They seem to be very
        tolerant regarding where you plop your eye. You can always EP project
        with orthos, and they are reasonably priced. Well, maybe not for a TMB
        or Pentax. ;-) My understanding about orthoscopic EPs is that they have
        the minimal amount of glass for a sharp edge to edge image. As you go
        for a wider field, it takes more lenses to correct at the edges. If you
        get the University Optics orthos, you might as well get the better grade
        that they sell. Personally, I haven't noticed the improvement in
        quality, but the latest generation is par focal.



        Paul Carey wrote:
        > Thanks so much, your comments and Gary's are very helpful. I'm glad
        > you mentioned the 19mm pan Jose, it is certainly less expensive than
        > the 22 and I hadn't considered the difficulty of barlowing the 22.
        > The eye relief is more on the 22, but it is really hard to know how
        > much eye relief my wife really needs - or even if eye relief per se
        > is really the issue with the "blackouts" she experiences, when she
        > can only catch brief glimpses of an object. These blackouts have
        > happened even with the Highlight plossl, which has 12mm ER, and she
        > says it has always been a problem for her. But it is never a problem
        > with the monstrous EP on the telescope at our local observatory,
        > which has very very long eye relief and wide fov.
        >
        > We'll definitely see about getting to a star party this Fall and
        > trying all sorts of eyepieces - that's surely the best way to see
        > what works best. But it will probably be tempting in the mean time
        > to order a used ep or two from Astromart.
        >
        > William Carey
        >
        > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Jose Rola" <jose.rola@g...>
        > wrote:
        >
        >>Hi Paul,
        >>
        >>I have a Vixen Lanthanun LV that I enjoy very much in my newton
        >
        > scopes,
        >
        >>but in the Megrez I do not like it a bit.
        >>I believe that the they are made to correct the coma in the newtons
        >
        > and
        >
        >>since the Megrez does not have it it spoils the image.
        >>
        >>I do not own any vixen LVW but already looked through them and i
        >
        > think the
        >
        >>they have the same problem in the Megrez.
        >>
        >>Regarding the 22mm Panoptic, I also do not recomend it because
        >
        > since it is
        >
        >>one of the panoptics that has the 2''/1.25''
        >>barrel, you will have trouble using it with 1.25" barlows.
        >>
        >>I own a 19mm Panoptic that i enjoy very much, and since I have
        >
        > Astigmatism,
        >
        >>I always use glasses to observe and the eye relief is ok for me.
        >
        > The eye
        >
        >>relief of the 19mm panoptic is 13mm and the eye relief of 7 mm
        >
        > ploss that
        >
        >>you own is less than 6mm.
        >>
        >>If you are realy interested in the vixen LVW type of eyepieces (20
        >
        > mm
        >
        >>eyerelief in all the range) maybe you should also consider the TV
        >
        > Radian
        >
        >>eyepieces, since they all have 20 mm eye relief.
        >>
        >>I never had the oportunity to look through a WO eyepiece so I
        >
        > cannot talk
        >
        >>about them, but they all have a big eye relief, and it is a reason
        >
        > why they
        >
        >>are sold as good to afocal astrophotography.
        >>
        >>For high amplification, (moon, planets, globular clusters and
        >
        > planetary
        >
        >>nebula) for me nothing is better than a orthoscopic eyepiece, or if
        >
        > you can
        >
        >>get one, a TMB monocentric, but this are small field eyepices (40º
        >
        > and 30º).
        >
        >>Because at high amplification the exit pupil of the eyepiece is
        >
        > very small
        >
        >>(less than 3mm) people with astigmatism, like me, can take his
        >
        > glasses off
        >
        >>to observe.
        >>
        >>Regarding Naglers, since I use glasses to observe, I never manage
        >
        > to be
        >
        >>close enough to the eyepice to see the whole 82º of the field. I
        >
        > see the
        >
        >>same field that I see on a Panoptic. Which makes my bank account
        >
        > very happy
        >
        >>:)
        >>
        >>But my main advice to you is to look through the eyepiece before
        >
        > you buy it,
        >
        >>go to a Star Party, a astronomy club metting or in last case take
        >
        > the scope
        >
        >>with you to the store and try it in daylight.
        >>
        >>Hope that my mail helped you a bit.
        >>
        >>Regards
        >>Jose Rola
        >>
        >>
        >>
        >>----- Original Message -----
        >>From: "Paul Carey" <wcarey@p...>
        >>To: <William-Optics@yahoogroups.com>
        >>Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 6:09 PM
        >>Subject: [William-Optics] Need advice about Vixen/Orion LVW for
        >
        > Megrez 80
        >
        >>
        >>>Hello group, my wife and I are looking to buy our first widefield
        >>>eyepiece for our Megrez 80 SD. The Megrez is really made for
        >>>widefield of course, but our tight budget has forced us to start
        >
        > with
        >
        >>>plossls and a 2.8X Klee barlow. We have been using primarily a
        >
        > 17mm
        >
        >>>Orion Highlight plossl, very bright, sharp and pleasing views but
        >
        > not
        >
        >>>wide. We also have a TV 7mm plossl. My wife and I use the
        >
        > telescope
        >
        >>>primarily in our yard, which is very light-polluted. So far we
        >
        > have
        >
        >>>mostly been viewing the moon, planets and occasionally Orion
        >
        > nebula,
        >
        >>>all with very good results. Light pollution makes most DSOs
        >>>impractical. We almost never use the Megrez for daytime
        >
        > observation.
        >
        >>>A very important factor will be ease of viewing, because my wife
        >>>doesn't have great vision and has had trouble with our current
        >
        > eps.
        >
        >>>So I think eye relief/exit pupil considerations will have to be
        >
        > strong
        >
        >>>factors. Two wide eyepieces that are well-regarded for both eye
        >>>relief and wide views are the panoptics in the larger focal
        >
        > lengths
        >
        >>>and the Vixen LVW, so these have so far been the primary
        >
        > candidates.
        >
        >>>Almost everyone recommends the 22mm pan for these 80mm
        >
        > refractors, but
        >
        >>>it would be at the upper range of our spending limit. I'm also
        >
        > not
        >
        >>>sure whether 22mm would be enough magnification for us to see
        >
        > much in
        >
        >>>our light-polluted viewing situation (but we can barlow, of
        >
        > course).
        >
        >>>The Vixen and Orion LVW's are supposed to be very close to the
        >
        > pans
        >
        >>>optically, and they maintain a constant 20mm of eye relief at
        >
        > lower
        >
        >>>fls, unlike the pans. I'm thinking maybe a 13mm LVW would be a
        >
        > good
        >
        >>>fl for this telescope and our viewing conditions. Anyone have
        >
        > advice
        >
        >>>or experience with these eps? Thank you,
        >>>
        >>>William Carey
        >>>
        >>>
        >>>
        >>>
        >>>
        >>>
        >>>Yahoo! Groups Links
        >>>
        >>>
        >>>
        >>>
        >>>
        >>>
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
      • Michael Portuesi
        ... I have a Megrez-80 II, and a set of the Vixen/Orion LVW eyepieces, in 22, 13, 8 and 5mm variants. I took them out this past weekend for some deep-sky
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2005
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, yahoogroups <yahoogroups@l...>
          wrote:
          > I really don't follow the thread about LVWs compensating for coma. I
          > haven't found this to be the case, but I use mine on Tak refractors.
          >

          I have a Megrez-80 II, and a set of the Vixen/Orion LVW eyepieces, in
          22, 13, 8 and 5mm variants. I took them out this past weekend for
          some deep-sky observing in Ophiuchus, plus some side-trips into the
          Milky Way and Andromeda for M31.

          Normally, I use the LVW eyepieces in my 15" F/5 Dob, where they
          present sharp images, even at the edges, without a coma corrector.
          I've been very happy with them on the big scope.

          Observing with these eyepieces through the Megrez, I got crisp, sharp
          images across the field of view, with maybe the smallest hint of
          barrel distortion as I panned the scope across the Milky Way - you
          wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't been looking for it.

          I haven't noticed blackouts or kidney-beaning to be a problem with
          these eyepieces on either the Megrez or my big Dob. They are very
          easy to look through.

          The eyepieces have a dual-barrel design, so they can fit either 1.25"
          or 2" focusers without an adapter. I was concerned that when using
          the eyepiece as a 2" with the WO diagonal, the bottom of the eyepiece
          barrel would run into the mirror. But to my surprise, the eyepiece fit
          without collision. (The workaround would have been to use the
          2"-1.25" adapter with the LVW eyepiece).

          I haven't given my LVWs extensive use with the Megrez, but based on
          the observing I've done so far, I give them the thumbs-up.
        • Dave Vosgien
          If you are looking for something in the 13 mm range, you might check out the older 13 mm Nagler. You can get it on Astromart for around 200 bucks and it is
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4, 2005
          • 0 Attachment
            If you are looking for something in the 13 mm range, you might check
            out the older 13 mm Nagler. You can get it on Astromart for around
            200 bucks and it is unmatched for great views once you get over the
            kidney bean effect. Once you use it a few times, the effect is a
            non problem considering the great views. It is as big as a beer can
            and heavy but on my FS-102 and ED 80, you think you are in a
            spaceship IMHO....Dave V


            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Portuesi"
            <mportuesi@y...> wrote:
            > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, yahoogroups
            <yahoogroups@l...>
            > wrote:
            > > I really don't follow the thread about LVWs compensating for
            coma. I
            > > haven't found this to be the case, but I use mine on Tak
            refractors.
            > >
            >
            > I have a Megrez-80 II, and a set of the Vixen/Orion LVW eyepieces,
            in
            > 22, 13, 8 and 5mm variants. I took them out this past weekend for
            > some deep-sky observing in Ophiuchus, plus some side-trips into the
            > Milky Way and Andromeda for M31.
            >
            > Normally, I use the LVW eyepieces in my 15" F/5 Dob, where they
            > present sharp images, even at the edges, without a coma corrector.
            > I've been very happy with them on the big scope.
            >
            > Observing with these eyepieces through the Megrez, I got crisp,
            sharp
            > images across the field of view, with maybe the smallest hint of
            > barrel distortion as I panned the scope across the Milky Way - you
            > wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't been looking for it.
            >
            > I haven't noticed blackouts or kidney-beaning to be a problem with
            > these eyepieces on either the Megrez or my big Dob. They are very
            > easy to look through.
            >
            > The eyepieces have a dual-barrel design, so they can fit either
            1.25"
            > or 2" focusers without an adapter. I was concerned that when using
            > the eyepiece as a 2" with the WO diagonal, the bottom of the
            eyepiece
            > barrel would run into the mirror. But to my surprise, the eyepiece
            fit
            > without collision. (The workaround would have been to use the
            > 2"-1.25" adapter with the LVW eyepiece).
            >
            > I haven't given my LVWs extensive use with the Megrez, but based on
            > the observing I've done so far, I give them the thumbs-up.
          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.