New Megrez 80 SD II

  • fcorrada
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1 4:32 AM
      Hello fellow astronomy enthusiasts.
      I just purchased the 80mm Megrez SD package and should receive it next
      week. I need some advise from other scope users. I would like to use a
      binoviewer like a Siebert or a Burgess/Stellarvue. David Yang told me
      that he is pretty sure that it would work fine without the diagonal,
      but I would like to use it with the diagonal as it is easier to
      observe near zenith. He could not ascertain that using the diagonal
      would work well. Does anyone has experience with this setup?
      I would like to use a lightweight alt-az mount to put on my Bogen
      3246 tripod. Any recommendations? For the short term I will be using a
      Bogen 501 head.
      Last question. Which filters are the most useful for observing the
      planets and DSO's. I ordered the WO VR-1 filter and a Meade variable
      Polarizer for Moon observing. I am fortunate to live in an area with
      dark skies and minimal light pollution. Thank you in advance for your
      much appreciated sage advise.
      Fernando
    • Michael Portuesi
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1 1:55 PM
        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, fcorrada <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Hello fellow astronomy enthusiasts.
        > I just purchased the 80mm Megrez SD package [...] I would like to use
        > a binoviewer like a Siebert or a Burgess/Stellarvue.
        > [...] Does anyone has experience with this setup?

        I also have the Megrez 80 SD package, and my partner owns a Burgess
        binoviewer.

        Oddly enough, I haven't yet done the experiment to see how well the
        two work with each other, with/without the diagonal. Hopefully clear
        skies this weekend will allow me to do this test and report back to
        the group.

        > Last question. Which filters are the most useful for observing the
        > planets and DSO's. I ordered the WO VR-1 filter and a Meade variable
        > Polarizer for Moon observing.

        I ordered the WO VR-1 filter, through Oceanside Photo & Telescope. It
        does make a big difference when viewing the planets. It virtually
        eliminates violet glow around Jupiter. The view is very APO-like with
        the VR-1 in place.

        I haven't yet used the VR-1 with the Moon, since we're heading towards
        New Moon at the moment. I find without the VR-1, the Megrez 80 SD
        tops out at about 100x on the Moon. Beyond that, the chromatic
        aberration becomes noticeable enough that the image breaks down.

        I suspect the VR-1 will enable the 80 SD to be used on the Moon at
        higher powers, and I plan to try this out once the Moon is back in the
        early evening sky. Though lunar observing isn't really what I bought
        the scope for.

        Michael Portuesi