Re: Eyepiece choice

  • kurtz550
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
      The Takahashi 5mm LE is the best planetary eyepiece out there. Cost is
      $177 at Anacortes.
      Jeff Kurtz

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "joan_feixas" <joan_feixas@y...
      > wrote:
      > While waiting for my Megrez 80 ED I am thinking of a 5 mm EP for
      > planetary viewing. After reading quite a few reviews, Baader
      > Planetarium Eudiascopic seem very convenient eyepieces at a
      reasonable
      > price. I have read that these are equivalent to the Celestron Ultima
      > rebranded.
      > Anyone of you is using one of these EP with the Megrez 80 ED?
      >
      > I will appreciate your feedback.
      >
      > Joan
      >

      > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "bty142367"
      > <david.chalcraft@t...> wrote:
      > > Hello everyone
      > >
      > > I have recently acquired a Megrez 80ED and top notch diagonal and
      am
      > > just getting to grips with them. I currently have a rather motley
      > > assortment of 1.25" eyepieces and am keen to invest in a couple of
      > > really decent quality EPs. Can any of you experienced Megrez users
      > > out there suggest what in your view is a good value EP that
      delivers
      > > great view with the Megrez. At present I guess I am looking for an
      EP
      > > good on planets and one for wide fields. Sadly I wear glasses, so
      > > good eye relief is important to me. If there are other threads
      here
      > > that I have missed, please point me in the right direction.
      > >
      > > Thanks for your help.
      > >
      > > David
    • kurtz550
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 9, 2005
        I'll second the choice of the Orion/Vixen LVW especially for higher
        powers...I have the 3.5MM and it is both extremely sharp and very
        comfortable to use.
        Jeff Kurtz

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, gary <yahoogroups@l...> wrote:
        > Vixen LVW can always be purchased used on Astromart for about $150.
        > like them because they are somewhat wide angle, but not enough to
        have
        > obvious geometrical distortion. I use my scope for daylight
        terrestrial
        > viewing too, and don't like to see lines that are not straight. I'm
        > probably in the minority regarding geometric accuracy to be
        important.
        > The LVW design fits 1.25 or 2 inches.
        >
        > I also have some University Optics orthos that I use for projection,
        but
        > sometimes for viewing as well. The fov is pretty narrow, but they
        are
        > quite sharp. I bought my UO EPs new since there isn't that much
        discount
        > in buying used.
        >
        > I have an old Harry Seibert (34 or so mm I think) that cosmetically
        is
        > pretty ugly, but not bad for a low cost EP. Since then, he has
        expanded
        > his line and sell different grade, and improved the cosmetics. There
        are
        > also the new SWAM EPs from WO, which I haven't seen, but you would
        think
        > would be optimal for their scopes.
        >
        > You can go nuts looking for the perfect eyepiece in it's class. I
        think
        > that is why so many are sold used. Note that some of these really
        wide
        > angle EPs are quite heavy and in the case of the Televues, quite
        bulky too.

        > Whatever you buy, I suggest getting bolt boxes for storage.
        > http://www.scopestuff.com/
        >

        > David Chalcraft wrote:
        > > Hi J D
        > >
        > > Yes I've got a 2" diagonal - its a Williams Optical 2" Dielectric.
        I'm
        > > working on the principle of getting a limited quantity of good
        quality
        > > gear. I would appreciate your suggestions as to good quality
        eyepieces
        > > that won't break the bank.
        > >
        > > Regards
        > >
        > > David
        > >
        > > */"J.D. Metzger" <jayhawk68@c...>/* wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "bty142367"
        > > <david.chalcraft@t...> wrote:
        > > > Hello everyone
        > > >
        > > > I have recently acquired a Megrez 80ED and top notch
        diagonal and am
        > > > just getting to grips with them. I currently have a rather
        motley
        > > > assortment of 1.25" eyepieces and am keen to invest in a
        couple of
        > > > really decent quality EPs. Can any of you experienced
        Megrez users
        > > > out there suggest what in your view is a good value EP that
        delivers
        > > > great view with the Megrez. At present I guess I am looking
        for
        > > an EP
        > > > good on planets and one for wide fields. Sadly I wear
        glasses, so
        > > > good eye relief is important to me. If there are other
        threads here
        > > > that I have missed, please point me in the right direction.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks for your help.
        > > >
        > > > David
        > >
        > > Hi David,
        > >
        > > Is your new diagonal 1.25" or 2"?
        > >
        > > J.D.

        > > Yahoo! Messenger
        > > <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/uk/taglines/default/messenger/*http:
        //uk.messenger.yahoo.com
        > > > NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail
        > > <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/uk/taglines/default/messenger/*http:
        //uk.beta.messenger.yahoo.com

        subject=Unsubscribe>