Megrez 80 II SD and the Televue TelePod

  • Michael Portuesi
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2005
      My Megrez 80 II SD arrived yesterday. What a great piece of
      workmanship this product is! The materials, machining, fit and finish
      are all top notch. Optically, it's everything the earlier messages on
      this group said it would be. I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

      I have two mounts I wanted to use the Megrez with:

      1) The TeleVue TelePod. This is an alt/az cradle. Same mount head as
      the Gibraltar and Panoramic mounts, but with a lightweight portable
      tripod.

      2) Celestron CG-5 (old model). Typical Chinese-made medium-duty mount.

      I had ordered the WO tube rings, which are just as solidly built as
      the scope.

      The WO tube rings DO NOT fit the Telepod head. Like most other tube
      rings, they are too wide to fit in the cradle of the Telepod head. I
      had this same problem with the tube rings for another small scope in
      my collection; this is really one of the true bummers of the TelePod
      mount.

      I was able to attach the Megrez using the camera tripod shoe that
      comes with the scope. Since there's only one attachment point, the
      tube does swivel a little bit on the mount head even when you tighten
      the mounting screw as much as possible. The scope is more or less
      balanced when using a light eyepiece such as an Ortho or a Plossl, but
      heavy eyepieces (such as my Lumicon 32 Erfle or Vixen Lanthanum
      Superwides) do cause the scope to be back-heavy.

      Attaching the WO tube rings to the CG-5 mount was fairly easy. I had a
      Televue mounting plate which fits both Vixen and the CG-5 mounts. The
      tube rings attach to this plate, though I couldn't use the center
      mounting holes on the tube rings. They didn't go deep enough to allow
      tightening the mounting screws all the way. I solved the problem by
      using the side mount screws, though shorter mounting screws (or some
      felt to shim) would also solve the problem.

      Michael Portuesi
    • Jandorf, Hal (NAVAIR)
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2005
        Hi Michael,

            I mounted my Megrez 80ED on a TeleVue "swing-up" (identical to the TelePod head) and a Bogen tripod AND Orion's 90mm rings. I ran into the same problems due to the ring size and the TeleVue mount cradle and the balance problem. I bought an Orion's aluminum dovetail rail (8" long) and drilled holes and mounted the rings off-center in front of the cradle base. Now this adapter rail allows the scope to be easily balanced. It worked out fine, until I saw the Universal Astronomics "Micro-Star" alt-azimuth mount last week at the RTMC star party in Big Bear CA.
              This mount (with the balance plate) works a LOT better than the TelePod mount. Micro-Star has better balancing features, Teflon bearings for smoother motions and tightening clamps that can handle much more weight than the TelePod cradle. Micro-star is lighter and easier to use too. That sold me on that mount! I bolted it on my old Bogen tripod (3/8" bolt) and discarded the "swing-up" mount/cradle. the Micro-Star mount (w/o tripod) and balance plate and hardware came to $175. The Orion rings were $18.
            I also use the Orion rings and dovetail rail on a CG-5 equatorial mount, and a lighter older eq. mount (Celestron Polaris mount). Anyone want the old Televue "swing-up" cradle, ready to mount on your  tripod? It comes with a 1.25" eyepiece caddy and a compass! Give me an offer!  --Hal