The short and long of the Megrez 80ED / Zenithstar 80

  • Jandorf, Hal (NAVAIR)
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2005
      Bino-Viewers and Megrez 80ED

      To use the Bino-Viewer, remove the extension tube and use a 1.25 star diagonal.
      I use a TeleVue 1.25 star diagonal because the housing is metal. Plastic 1.25 star diagonals are too weak structurally to support the weight Bino-Viewer assembly. If you use a 2" diagonal, you must use a barlow.

      Bino-Viewers and the ZenithStar 80

      You can use the Bino-Viewer straight thru without barlow or diagonal for terrestrial use.
      If you need a diagonal for astronomical viewing, you must use a barlow.

      The July issue of Sky and Telescope magazine shows an ad for William Optics and there is a picture of a shortened version of ZenithStar 80 designed to accommodate a Bino-Viewer and a 2" star diagonal without a barlow. Can current ZenithStar users purchase the shortened tube to replace our original ZenithStar 80 tubes?

      --Hal