GT-ONE IDLE NOISE

  • klrenn@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2001
      Hi to all,

      I'm also one of the first recipients of the GT-ONE, and have a few
      observations to make as well as a couple of questions that perhaps Ron
      Wodaski, Herb York, or William Yang could answer.

      First, the TEC MC200/15.5 that I ordered several months ago from TEC
      has not arrived, so nothing is mounted as yet on the GT-ONE, and
      therefore I've removed the counterweight while learning how to use
      SkySensor 2000. My initial reaction to the mount was that it looks as
      if it belongs on the Space Shuttle -- large and imposing, with an aura
      of top-notch design and engineering, and the tripod is very solid and
      stable and nicely crafted.

      I'll try to prioritize my questions and remaining observations:

      1) With SkySensor 2000 connected to the GT-ONE and turned on, the head
      emits no noise. However, once any one of the four yellow direction
      keys is pushed, the head emits a continual "rough-purring" sound (sort
      of like a cat), which, becomes louder with time. As an experiment, I
      let the head "idle" (SkySensor on, with no input from any controller
      keys) for two hours, after initially depressing a yellow directional
      key for only a moment. During the course of the two hours, the noise
      became louder and less purring-like (rougher sounding -- more
      gear-like), to the point where it was clearly audible twenty-feet
      away. Turning SkySensor off, then on again, causes the noise to go
      away -- until a directional key is pushed, whereupon the noise
      returns.

      What is this noise and is it NORMAL?? Does this noise have anything to
      do with the "motor mount" modifications to be provided by William
      Optics and Anacortes??

      2) The perimeter of the circular plate into which the eyepiece-end of
      the polar alignment scope is inserted has four threaded holes. They
      look as if the were put there for a reason, yet they are empty. Does
      anyone know why they're there??

      3) The information in a couple of useful internet articles reviewing
      SkySensor 2000 caused me to question the polarity of the 12-V power
      plug tip (i.e., is it positive or negative). Herb York checked into
      it, and advised me that the plug is tip-positive (prior to my
      connecting it to a power source). The articles are at these URLS:
      http://www.skypub.com/resources/testreports/accessories/0004skysensor.
      html
      http://www.laughton.com/paul/rfo/ss2000/ss2000.html

      4) The shipping packaging of the system is quite impressive. Each
      component is first generously wrapped in bubble-wrap; the SkySensor
      2000 is individually boxed and placed in the box containing the tripod
      and counterweight; likewise with the tripod tray, which is then placed
      in the box containing the GT-ONE; thousands of peanuts are used
      wherever appropriate to separate components and preclude any internal
      movement. These two boxes are then placed in larger boxes (Yes!!!),
      again using peanuts to isolate the outer box from the inner one.

      I mention this because the UPS 3-Day Select (ground-air-ground) to
      Philadelphia, PA was $169 versus $70 for Standard UPS shipping. I made
      the choice for 3-Day Select to attempt to minimize the risk of any
      damage during shipment. However, after seeing how incredibly well the
      system was packed, I now wonder if there was any real reason to spend
      the extra $90. If would suggest that if any new buyer can't afford the
      extra cost of 3-Day Select, that they none-the-less feel comfortable
      with Standard UPS shipping.

      5) The current GT-ONE "manual" is actually a 5-page, Xeroxed flyer,
      which has a minimum of information. Herb York has advised that a REAL
      manual will be forthcoming (perhaps web-based).

      6) I too did not receive the allen wrench, used to tighten the GT-ONE
      to the tripod.

      I think that's it for now, except to say that Herb York has been
      really helpful -- answering any of my questions and returning phone
      call, if necessary.

      Keith Renn
    • Eddie Trimarchi
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2001
        I used to have a ss2000 on a GP-DX and the rough purring sound was normal
        then. That was the sound of the ss2k tracking. If you have nothing on your
        mount then it is probably horribly out of balance. This will not aid smooth
        tracking.

        Regards,

        Eddie Trimarchi
        http://users.fan.net.au/~eddiet