RE: [William-Optics] Re: GT-ONE tracking tests

  • Ron Wodaski
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 1, 2001
      $2995, including mount, tripod, counterweight, and SkySensor 2000 PC
      controller.

      Ron Wodaski
      The New CCD Astronomy
      http://www.newastro.com

      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 2, 2001
        I unpacked my new mount last night and let me say that you might want
        to do this in an empty room. I probably have peanuts that I wont find
        untill christmas of next year.

        The mount was extremly easy to set up and starting with the tripod
        you can see it is very heavy duty. The finish on the tripod is great
        too. one thing is though that the tripod is not adjustable in height.
        This is a good thing in my oppinion because it makes the tripod more
        stable because its one piece. The drawback may be that if you have a
        real large scope you can't adjust the height. Im not complaining
        though just reporting the facts. Im happy with mine just like it is.
        There are only three screws to insert and the tripod is up and ready.

        Next you place the EQ head on the tripod and spend a good 10 minutes
        looking for the screw to lock it down, only to find that the screw is
        permanently mounted in the top part of the tripod. How cool. No need
        to look for a screw that you have dropped on the ground at 3:00 am
        when your packing to go home and your hands are so numb that you cant
        feel the screw. In just a few minutes the whole thing is up and ready
        to go.

        When you attach the cables the grey one goes up top and the black one
        goes down bottom. As you might suspect its a good Idea to attach all
        cables before applying power. I want to recomend at this point that
        you read the directions sent with the mount from william. I tried to
        skip this very important step and it nearly cost me my mind.

        First I will tell you what happens when you do skip this step. the
        motors shutter or vibrate back and forth sometimes and even refuse to
        move as if locked up. Second when they do work they dont point in the
        right direction. ie.... read the instructions. I was sure that
        somehow I had gotten a bad apple out of the bunch but when I started
        reading the manual supplied with the SS2kPC I found that some motors
        need to be set at a 3 in setup or they will shutter. What do you
        know. The shuttering stopped. then I found the manual I was supposed
        to read the first time and guess what it said. set the motors at 3.
        and it gave me the proper settings for some other RA and DEc stuff
        that made the mount start pointing right. It's worth note that
        william made these motors himself and therefore all the default
        settings for motors etc... that come with SS2kPC dont work properly.
        Some of us have to learn things the hard way though. The cool thing
        is after proper setup and polar alignment you can goto your first
        star without having to align. weird.

        Another few notes on the polar alignment scope. it seems to be of
        good qality but Ive not figured this one out yet. There is a battery
        box that appears to contain two AA batteries with an extension cord.
        I think that this is for the polar alignment scope but I cant find
        where to insert it. I am looking for someone who might know where to
        put the darned thing or did william somehow drop this in my box and
        it has nothing to do with my scope at all. oh well someone more
        knowledgeable will tell me before tonight. The alignment scope has a
        focus adjustment and can turn 360 degrees. seems good enough. Ive
        never used one though so I will be a good test of how easy it is. As
        a matter of fact this is the first goto mount i have ever owned and
        the first German EQ mount I have ever owned so Im a good candidate
        for finding the stupid mistakes.

        Overall the mount is very nice and I like the white except that it
        seems to pick up the grease from the mount quite easily. not a
        problem just making notes. I personally love this mount so far and it
        seems to work as advertised, however I have not yet gotten the pier
        adjusted so that I can mount it in the observatory. I did manage to
        get my 5" mak-newt attached last night but I was not able to test it.
        I took some pictures that I hope to post since theres not a lot of
        info yet on this mount. I cant tell you how large it is. It makes
        other mounts look like toys. and I am certainly proud to own it. you
        know the commercial lexus made where the guy was standing out in his
        yard with his pj's on at 3:00 am looking at his lexus with his jaw
        dropped. Well that was me. I will post some pics once the sky is
        clear and the mount is in its permanent home.
      • Bob Schmall
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 2, 2001
          Plug the battery cable into the side of the red button on the polar scope.
          It illuminates the scope. Be sure to push it in all the way. I had the same
          problem and Herb York explained it to me.

          Bob

        • Whodat
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 2, 2001
            I didnt see a red button, but I did see a hole in the top of the
            polar alignment scope. It was not red though. Maybe I need to look
            under it or something. I will check that this afternoon when I get
            home.

            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 2, 2001
              It's sticking out from the bottom end of the polar scope. The hole is
              located in one of the flat sides. It's small, so look carefully.

              Bob

            • Rob La Pointe
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 2, 2001
                Did you'all receive the polar scope as a part of the GT-1 package (as first
                advertised) or did you purchase it as an accessory?

                Rob

                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 2, 2001
                  I have written Anacortes to tell them that they are advertising that
                  the polar scope comes with the mount however if you look at williams
                  page you will see that it does not. However I think its still on
                  their site. So the answer is that you have to purchase it seperately.
                  This mount does ok for visual without proper polar aligment but for
                  the little extra you spend its worth it. And if you plan on doing any
                  astrophotography its a must.
                • Ron Wodaski
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 2, 2001
                    I took a picture of the polar scope and posted it here:

                    http://www.buytelescopes.com/manufacturers/wyo/images/polar-detail.jpg

                    I uploaded the image to the egroup file area as well; a message about that
                    will appear separately.

                    Ron Wodaski
                    The New CCD Astronomy
                    http://www.newastro.com

                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 2, 2001
                      It was late last night and I was fairly excited but I dont see how I
                      could have missed something that big. I am hoping that I did miss it
                      and that I dont have some sort of problem. I did notice a hole in my
                      polar scope but no protruding part as I saw in the picture. Maybe
                      mine broke off. I will check again tonight, like I said it was late
                      and a work day to boot.
                    • Bob Schmall
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 2, 2001
                        Nope- paid for it.

                        Bob

                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 2, 2001
                          The little socket unscrews, so it could have become loose in shipment. If it
                          did, it would have been inside the metal dust cover that screws on and off,
                          so you would have noticed it. If you don't have the little part, call or
                          email the folks at Anacortes Telescope and ask for one to be sent to you.

                          Ron Wodaski
                          The New CCD Astronomy
                          http://www.newastro.com