Re: Couple questions for Markus

  • williamopticsmarketing
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 8, 2005
      Hi Ed,

      yes, Markus was the first one to ask us why so small, and at the
      beginning he was a bit skeptical himself.

      Before you are seriously disappointed, why not taking a chance to
      look through one at NEAF or at your Authorized WO Dealer?

      We compared our barlow to a 2" AP one, side to side, the small amount
      of vignetting in both was comparable.

      Having a small clear aperture doesn't necessarily mean you are having
      a substandard product! Not always you need "big" to do well. It goes
      all down to the design you choose.

      Markus tried out our Barlow, ask him what he thinks of it!

      Also, for your reference, you can check the optical path of the WO
      barlow if you are interested in these technicalities:

      http://www.william-optics.com/wowebs/prod_eyep/barlowx25/zemax_opt.htm

      Just for my info and curiousity, anybody knows the TV Powermate clear
      aperture?

      Our Barlow works fine as it is, and is a good bargain at the price
      it's retailed at. If the market asks for changes, we will consider
      that option too.

      In the meanwhile, I strongly encourage you to give us a chance!!

      Kind regards,

      Daniel

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "yenzowdrawde" <starcat@s...>
      wrote:

      > Thanks Markus,
      > Looks like I need to wait at least until you get the results
      > back from your customer performing the tests. As for the Barlow I
      > don't think I'll get one unless it gets revised so the clear
      aperture
      > is increased to something more in line with the 2" housing it comes
      > in. 21mm is only 41% of the diameter or about 21% of the area of a
      > 2" fitting. These optics should be in a 1.25" housing not 2".
      >
      > I am seriously dissappointed in this piece coming from WO.
      > Has anyone asked William or David why it is so small compared to
      the
      > housing it's mounted in?
      >
      > Cheers, Ed
      >

      > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "APM-Telescopes Markus
      Ludes"

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 8, 2005
        Daniel,

        the quality of the barlow is very good , but the clear diameter is indeet to small. I told you it vignets visible a Tele Vue Panoptik 24 mm and a Tele Vue Plössl 32 mm.

        the 2" Tele Vue Panoptik Barlow have more then douple aperture.

        this William Barlow shall not be offered and sold as a 2" Modell and even for a 1.25" Modell, the lenses are already to small to be used with " any " 1.25" eyepiece

        sorry to post this here, but you asked me to reply

        best wishes
        Markus

        wrote:

        > Thanks Markus,
        >        Looks like I need to wait at least until you get the results
        > back from your customer performing the tests.  As for the Barlow I
        > don't think I'll get one unless it gets revised so the clear
        aperture
        > is increased to something more in line with the 2" housing it comes
        > in.  21mm is only 41% of the diameter or about 21% of the area of a
        > 2" fitting.  These optics should be in a 1.25" housing not 2".
        >
        >        I am seriously dissappointed in this piece coming from WO.
        > Has anyone asked William or David why it is so small compared to
        the
        > housing it's mounted in?
        >
        > Cheers,     Ed
        >

        > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "APM-Telescopes Markus
        Ludes"

      • williamopticsmarketing
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 8, 2005
          Hi Markus,

          we know you like to post freely and you know you can post freely here
          too. We never censored anything, even the harshest opinions, much
          worse than some of your usually informed but critical posts sometimes!
          ;-)

          Anyway!

          Ten people, ten different opinions.

          That's your opinion, thank you for sharing it, we respect it, no
          problem. I say, if one wants to buy, he can buy, otherwise he can buy
          some other brands'! There's plenty of cheap stuff out there.

          But, usually, before I make a choice I try the product out, if I have
          a chance, and I judge with my own head/eyes.

          I had asked you to compare with a large "clear-aperture" AP diagonal
          as we did, for example. Are the results very different?
          Thank you for your comments!

          Incidentally, I have already informed that if the market wants bigger
          clear aperture, they will get it, but so far the barlows are selling
          pretty well.

          Regards,
          Daniel

          <apm_telescopes@w...> wrote:
          > Daniel,
          >
          > the quality of the barlow is very good , but the clear diameter is
          indeet to small. I told you it vignets visible a Tele Vue Panoptik 24
          mm and a Tele Vue Plössl 32 mm.

          > the 2" Tele Vue Panoptik Barlow have more then douple aperture.
          >
          > this William Barlow shall not be offered and sold as a 2" Modell
          and even for a 1.25" Modell, the lenses are already to small to be
          used with " any " 1.25" eyepiece

          > sorry to post this here, but you asked me to reply
          >
          > best wishes
          > Markus

          Terms
          > of
          > > Service.

          Service.
        • APM-Telescopes Markus Ludes
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 8, 2005

            Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 1:30 PM

            Hi Markus,

            we know you like to post freely and you know you can post freely here
            too.  We never censored anything, even the harshest opinions, much
            worse than some of your usually informed but critical posts sometimes!
            ;-)

            thanks for that

            Anyway!

            Ten people, ten different opinions.

            That's your opinion, thank you for sharing it, we respect it, no
            problem. I say, if one wants to buy, he can buy, otherwise he can buy
            some other brands'! There's plenty of cheap stuff out there.

            But, usually, before I make a choice I try the product out, if I have
            a chance, and I judge with my own head/eyes.

            I had asked you to compare with a large "clear-aperture" AP diagonal
            as we did, for example.  Are the results very different?
            Thank you for your comments!

            the diffrence between yours and AP or Tele Vue is, I can use with AP and Tele any 2" Eyepiece without vigneting, but not with yours. A 2" Barlow is made for use with 2" eyepieces, this can be done with AP and Tele Vue , but not with yours.
            Daniel, nothing against this barlow, but as as me , every single customer will do a claim when he gets it delivered from your dealers and that brings us dealers in a very bad position, because the  customer will tell us dealers, hey dealer why did you not told me before that this barlow is not made for use with 2" eyepiece to show full image ?

            Please understand, its a very serious matter for everybody, not only your customers.

            best wishes
            Markus

            <apm_telescopes@w...> wrote:
            > Daniel,
            >
            > the quality of the barlow is very good , but the clear diameter is
            indeet to small. I told you it vignets visible a Tele Vue Panoptik 24
            mm and a Tele Vue Plössl 32 mm.

            > the 2" Tele Vue Panoptik Barlow have more then douple aperture.
            >
            > this William Barlow shall not be offered and sold as a 2" Modell
            and even for a 1.25" Modell, the lenses are already to small to be
            used with " any " 1.25" eyepiece

            > sorry to post this here, but you asked me to reply
            >
            > best wishes
            > Markus

          • yenzowdrawde
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 8, 2005
              Daniel,
              Regarding the question as to the clear aperture of the 2" TV
              Powermate........nearest I can tell it is somewhere between 34 and
              35mm. I don't want to get any closer to the glass with the
              calipers. So that's as close as I can measure.

              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "williamopticsmarketing"
              <williamopticsmarketing@y...> wrote:

              > Hi Ed,
              >
              > yes, Markus was the first one to ask us why so small, and at the
              > beginning he was a bit skeptical himself.
              >
              > Before you are seriously disappointed, why not taking a chance to
              > look through one at NEAF or at your Authorized WO Dealer?
              >
              > We compared our barlow to a 2" AP one, side to side, the small
              amount
              > of vignetting in both was comparable.
              >
              > Having a small clear aperture doesn't necessarily mean you are
              having
              > a substandard product! Not always you need "big" to do well. It
              goes
              > all down to the design you choose.
              >
              > Markus tried out our Barlow, ask him what he thinks of it!
              >
              > Also, for your reference, you can check the optical path of the WO
              > barlow if you are interested in these technicalities:
              >
              > http://www.william-
              optics.com/wowebs/prod_eyep/barlowx25/zemax_opt.htm

              > Just for my info and curiousity, anybody knows the TV Powermate
              clear
              > aperture?
              >
              > Our Barlow works fine as it is, and is a good bargain at the price
              > it's retailed at. If the market asks for changes, we will consider
              > that option too.
              >
              > In the meanwhile, I strongly encourage you to give us a chance!!
              >

              > Kind regards,
              >
              > Daniel
              >

              > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "yenzowdrawde"
              <starcat@s...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Thanks Markus,
              > > Looks like I need to wait at least until you get the
              results
              > > back from your customer performing the tests. As for the Barlow
              > > don't think I'll get one unless it gets revised so the clear
              > aperture
              > > is increased to something more in line with the 2" housing it
              comes
              > > in. 21mm is only 41% of the diameter or about 21% of the area of
              > > 2" fitting. These optics should be in a 1.25" housing not 2".
              > >
              > > I am seriously dissappointed in this piece coming from
              WO.
              > > Has anyone asked William or David why it is so small compared to
              > the
              > > housing it's mounted in?
              > >
              > > Cheers, Ed
              > >

              > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "APM-Telescopes Markus