RE: [William-Optics] Re: GT-One First Impressions

  • Ron Wodaski
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 31 10:10 PM
      My pleasure. Thanks.

      Ron Wodaski
      The New CCD Astronomy
      http://www.newastro.com

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Whodat [mailto:icstars_38_male@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 5:07 PM
      To: William-Optics@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [William-Optics] Re: GT-One First Impressions

      Ron, I have visited your web site and love the CCD imaging thing you
      did. I think its great that your active on these forums and try to
      help us regular folks out as much as you do. I just wanted to give
      you my hearty thanks while I know your online. Keep up the good work.

      William-Optics@y..., "Ron Wodaski" <ronw@n...> wrote:
      > Good, detailed report; thanks.
      >
      > In answer to your question about why do both axes move: the
      SkySensor has
      > three modes of movement; you encountered the default mode, which is
      Alt Az.
      > When it Alt-Az mode, both motors move simultaneously on an EQ mount
      to mimic
      > the action on an alt-az mount.
      >
      > To change modes, press the Mode key on the keypad when you start
      up. press
      > it one time to see the current mode; press it again within a second
      or so to
      > move to the next mode (Ra/Dec), and again to move the X/Y mode.
      >
      > Ra/Dec and X/Y are similar, but differ in a key. In Ra/Dec mode, the
      > SkySensor uses the modeling information it has developed from the
      alignment
      > stars to determine the difference between true Ra/Dec and the
      mount's
      > current orientation. When in Ra/Dec mode, the mount will move both
      motors in
      > order to follow true Ra/Dec even when you are not perfectly polar
      aligned.

      > In X/Y mode, the SkySensor will move only the Ra or Dec motor, and
      will not
      > attempt to correct for an inaccurate polar alignment. So:
      >
      > * For casual use, try the Alt-Az mode. It's different, and some
      folks love
      > and some folks don't. <g>
      >
      > * For precise visual use, try the Ra/Dec mode. You will get true
      Ra/Dec
      > movement when star hopping.
      >
      > * For imaging, use the X/Y mode. you get movement in only one axis
      at a
      > time, essential for imaging.
      >
      > Of course, the SkySensor also includes full GOTO, and that works no
      matter
      > what manual movement mode you choose.
      >
      > Ron Wodaski
      > The New CCD Astronomy
      > http://www.newastro.com

      They
      > are quieter than my LX50, however.
      >
      > The mount comes with a one-year warranty.
      >
      > More as results come in.
      >
      > Bob

    • Whodat
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 1, 2001
        Ron, Quick question. how deep could I go with an ST-237 and a 5 inch
        127mm f6 mak-newt from russia. The calculator you wrote says that the
        optics and CCD are a perfect match, but no hint of how deep I might
        be able to go with that combonation. I know this isnt a ccd group but
        while your online please guesstimate for me.

      • Ron Wodaski
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 1, 2001
          I didn't have a SkySensor handy to check those various modes and I listed
          them from memory (always dangerous). I may have gotten them out of order.
          But they work as describes; it's only the order in which you will encounter
          them that may be different.

          Ron Wodaski
          The New CCD Astronomy
          http://www.newastro.com

          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 1, 2001
            They worked--the mount is now in RA/Dec mode. It got its initiation into
            Wisconsin cold today, for about 2.5 hours at 25 degrees while I observed the sun
            with my 6" Mak-Cass. I didn't notice any problem with the motors, but then I'm
            not sure what to look for. My initial sense that damping time is less than a
            second was pretty close. The mount has performed well so far.

            Bob

          • Ron Wodaski
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 1, 2001
              I had a few hours of not quite clear skies last night, but I was able to
              image with the CCD camera through the fog. I mis-aligned the GT-ONE from the
              pole in order to get a picture of how well it tracks. One is looking for a
              nearly straight curve that shows smooth periodic error. Although only the
              size of periodic error is frequently quoted in mount specs, the speed and
              frequency at which it varies are critically important.

              The bottom line: the GT-ONE has excellent tracking characteristics. Here is
              a link to an image that shows the mount's tracking over a 6-minute interval.
              I took 15 images, pointing at various places in the sky (just in case!), and
              they all look just like this (253k file):

              http://www.buytelescopes.com/manufacturers/wyo/images/gt1_track.jpg

              For a cropped image showing just a couple of star trails (25k):

              http://www.buytelescopes.com/manufacturers/wyo/images/gt1_track_crop.jpg

              For a rotated image showing the star trails horizontal (10k):

              http://www.buytelescopes.com/manufacturers/wyo/images/gt1_track_rotate.jpg

              (If the links break onto two lines, you'll need to cut and paste into your
              browser's address line to see these.)

              The GT-ONE trails are about twice as good as other mounts in this price
              range. These results are actually better than many mounts costing a lot more
              money. <g>

              I'll need to use a longer focal length to do definitive tests, but more
              important than the magnitude of the PE is the extreme smoothness of the
              curve -- an autoguider could guide the GT-ONE at very long focal lengths
              with a tight, smooth curve like this. Compare the GT-ONE star trails to
              those of an over-$3000 mount that must remain nameless (taken with same
              scope and camera):

              http://www.buytelescopes.com/manufacturers/wyo/images/compare.jpg

              Note that PE is significantly larger, and much more erratic. The latest
              changes to the motor mounts are extremely successful, and show off the full
              capabilities of the high-quality gears in the mount. This is not empty hype;
              I'm getting one of these mounts for my personal use and expect to be imaging
              with it extensively. Those of you who know my work know that I am about as
              picky as you can get when it comes to mounts.

              Ron Wodaski
              The New CCD Astronomy
              http://www.newastro.com
            • Ron Wodaski
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 1, 2001
                For visual use, you would experience exactly nothing from the cold weather
                thing. It's a movement of just a few arc seconds, and is only of concern to
                imagers; I can't see how you could detect it visually without using a
                reticle and observing carefully for at least a couple of minutes. It would
                be hard to distinguish the PE from whatever drift you get from a slight
                polar mis-alignment.

                Ron Wodaski
                The New CCD Astronomy
                http://www.newastro.com

                Ron Wodaski wrote:

                > I didn't have a SkySensor handy to check those various modes and I listed
                > them from memory (always dangerous). I may have gotten them out of order.
                > But they work as describes; it's only the order in which you will
                encounter
                > them that may be different.
                >
                > Ron Wodaski
                > The New CCD Astronomy
                > http://www.newastro.com

              • Stephen Pitt
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 1, 2001
                  Ron: What does the GT-1 cost?

                  Thanks, Stephen

                • evang@dnai.com
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 1, 2001
                    Rod:

                    I am one of the five to receive the mount - mine is still with
                    Anacortes. They are holding onto it so William can make the cold
                    weather alteration when he arrives tomorrow.

                    (I will be shooting CCD (MX-916). My setup will be @1760mm (a C-11
                    with a 6.3 focal reducer). I will be using the Star 2000 to track.)

                    Could you precisely describe your setup for your tests?

                    OTA
                    focal length of setup etc.

                    Thanks

                  • Ron Wodaski
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 1, 2001
                      Test setup: Takahashi FSQ-106 at 530mm, ST-8E camera.

                      This is my "first order" test setup -- if a mount passes (and I consider
                      having <10 arc seconds PE uncorrected, and no jerkiness, to be a passing
                      score), then I will test it with a longer focal length instrument. It's more
                      work to do the longer focal length tests, and especially when I had only a
                      few hours of half-clear weather, I wanted the fastest possible setup so I
                      didn't miss the opportunity.

                      A C-11 would be a great scope on this mount; I look forward to your reports.

                      Ron Wodaski
                      The New CCD Astronomy
                      http://www.newastro.com

> [...]

                      lengths
                      > with a tight, smooth curve like this. Compare the GT-ONE star trails
                      > those of an over-$3000 mount that must remain nameless (taken with
                      same
                      > scope and camera):
                      >
                      > http://www.buytelescopes.com/manufacturers/wyo/images/compare.jpg
                      >
                      > Note that PE is significantly larger, and much more erratic. The
                      latest
                      > changes to the motor mounts are extremely successful, and show off
                      the full
                      > capabilities of the high-quality gears in the mount. This is not
                      empty hype;
                      > I'm getting one of these mounts for my personal use and expect to be
                      imaging
                      > with it extensively. Those of you who know my work know that I am
                      about as
                      > picky as you can get when it comes to mounts.

                    • Whodat
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 1, 2001
                        I recieved my mount tonight. WOW is all I can say. Setup was fast but
                        I am currently drilling so that I can mount my scope on it and
                        hopefully by tommorrow night I can give a report of tracking. I am
                        also putting it on a permanent pier. I hope to have that done by
                        tommorrow night too. later.

                      • cshinn
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 1, 2001
                          The audience is hungry for photos...Yummmm.....Chuck

                        • Ron Wodaski
                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 1, 2001
                            $2995, including mount, tripod, counterweight, and SkySensor 2000 PC
                            controller.

                            Ron Wodaski
                            The New CCD Astronomy
                            http://www.newastro.com

> [...]
                            > with a tight, smooth curve like this. Compare the GT-ONE star
                            trails to
                            > those of an over-$3000 mount that must remain nameless (taken with
                            same
                            > scope and camera):
                            >
                            > http://www.buytelescopes.com/manufacturers/wyo/images/compare.jpg
                            >
                            > Note that PE is significantly larger, and much more erratic. The
                            latest
                            > changes to the motor mounts are extremely successful, and show off
                            the full
                            > capabilities of the high-quality gears in the mount. This is not
                            empty hype;
                            > I'm getting one of these mounts for my personal use and expect to
                            be imaging
                            > with it extensively. Those of you who know my work know that I am
                            about as
                            > picky as you can get when it comes to mounts.

                          • Whodat
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 2, 2001
                              I unpacked my new mount last night and let me say that you might want
                              to do this in an empty room. I probably have peanuts that I wont find
                              untill christmas of next year.

                              The mount was extremly easy to set up and starting with the tripod
                              you can see it is very heavy duty. The finish on the tripod is great
                              too. one thing is though that the tripod is not adjustable in height.
                              This is a good thing in my oppinion because it makes the tripod more
                              stable because its one piece. The drawback may be that if you have a
                              real large scope you can't adjust the height. Im not complaining
                              though just reporting the facts. Im happy with mine just like it is.
                              There are only three screws to insert and the tripod is up and ready.

                              Next you place the EQ head on the tripod and spend a good 10 minutes
                              looking for the screw to lock it down, only to find that the screw is
                              permanently mounted in the top part of the tripod. How cool. No need
                              to look for a screw that you have dropped on the ground at 3:00 am
                              when your packing to go home and your hands are so numb that you cant
                              feel the screw. In just a few minutes the whole thing is up and ready
                              to go.

                              When you attach the cables the grey one goes up top and the black one
                              goes down bottom. As you might suspect its a good Idea to attach all
                              cables before applying power. I want to recomend at this point that
                              you read the directions sent with the mount from william. I tried to
                              skip this very important step and it nearly cost me my mind.

                              First I will tell you what happens when you do skip this step. the
                              motors shutter or vibrate back and forth sometimes and even refuse to
                              move as if locked up. Second when they do work they dont point in the
                              right direction. ie.... read the instructions. I was sure that
                              somehow I had gotten a bad apple out of the bunch but when I started
                              reading the manual supplied with the SS2kPC I found that some motors
                              need to be set at a 3 in setup or they will shutter. What do you
                              know. The shuttering stopped. then I found the manual I was supposed
                              to read the first time and guess what it said. set the motors at 3.
                              and it gave me the proper settings for some other RA and DEc stuff
                              that made the mount start pointing right. It's worth note that
                              william made these motors himself and therefore all the default
                              settings for motors etc... that come with SS2kPC dont work properly.
                              Some of us have to learn things the hard way though. The cool thing
                              is after proper setup and polar alignment you can goto your first
                              star without having to align. weird.

                              Another few notes on the polar alignment scope. it seems to be of
                              good qality but Ive not figured this one out yet. There is a battery
                              box that appears to contain two AA batteries with an extension cord.
                              I think that this is for the polar alignment scope but I cant find
                              where to insert it. I am looking for someone who might know where to
                              put the darned thing or did william somehow drop this in my box and
                              it has nothing to do with my scope at all. oh well someone more
                              knowledgeable will tell me before tonight. The alignment scope has a
                              focus adjustment and can turn 360 degrees. seems good enough. Ive
                              never used one though so I will be a good test of how easy it is. As
                              a matter of fact this is the first goto mount i have ever owned and
                              the first German EQ mount I have ever owned so Im a good candidate
                              for finding the stupid mistakes.

                              Overall the mount is very nice and I like the white except that it
                              seems to pick up the grease from the mount quite easily. not a
                              problem just making notes. I personally love this mount so far and it
                              seems to work as advertised, however I have not yet gotten the pier
                              adjusted so that I can mount it in the observatory. I did manage to
                              get my 5" mak-newt attached last night but I was not able to test it.
                              I took some pictures that I hope to post since theres not a lot of
                              info yet on this mount. I cant tell you how large it is. It makes
                              other mounts look like toys. and I am certainly proud to own it. you
                              know the commercial lexus made where the guy was standing out in his
                              yard with his pj's on at 3:00 am looking at his lexus with his jaw
                              dropped. Well that was me. I will post some pics once the sky is
                              clear and the mount is in its permanent home.
                            • Bob Schmall
                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 2, 2001
                                Plug the battery cable into the side of the red button on the polar scope.
                                It illuminates the scope. Be sure to push it in all the way. I had the same
                                problem and Herb York explained it to me.

                                Bob

                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 2, 2001
                                  I didnt see a red button, but I did see a hole in the top of the
                                  polar alignment scope. It was not red though. Maybe I need to look
                                  under it or something. I will check that this afternoon when I get
                                  home.

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 2, 2001
                                    It's sticking out from the bottom end of the polar scope. The hole is
                                    located in one of the flat sides. It's small, so look carefully.

                                    Bob

                                  • Rob La Pointe
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 2, 2001
                                      Did you'all receive the polar scope as a part of the GT-1 package (as first
                                      advertised) or did you purchase it as an accessory?

                                      Rob

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Feb 2, 2001
                                        I have written Anacortes to tell them that they are advertising that
                                        the polar scope comes with the mount however if you look at williams
                                        page you will see that it does not. However I think its still on
                                        their site. So the answer is that you have to purchase it seperately.
                                        This mount does ok for visual without proper polar aligment but for
                                        the little extra you spend its worth it. And if you plan on doing any
                                        astrophotography its a must.
                                      • Ron Wodaski
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Feb 2, 2001
                                          I took a picture of the polar scope and posted it here:

                                          http://www.buytelescopes.com/manufacturers/wyo/images/polar-detail.jpg

                                          I uploaded the image to the egroup file area as well; a message about that
                                          will appear separately.

                                          Ron Wodaski
                                          The New CCD Astronomy
                                          http://www.newastro.com

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Feb 2, 2001
                                            It was late last night and I was fairly excited but I dont see how I
                                            could have missed something that big. I am hoping that I did miss it
                                            and that I dont have some sort of problem. I did notice a hole in my
                                            polar scope but no protruding part as I saw in the picture. Maybe
                                            mine broke off. I will check again tonight, like I said it was late
                                            and a work day to boot.
                                          • Bob Schmall
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Feb 2, 2001
                                              Nope- paid for it.

                                              Bob

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Feb 2, 2001
                                                The little socket unscrews, so it could have become loose in shipment. If it
                                                did, it would have been inside the metal dust cover that screws on and off,
                                                so you would have noticed it. If you don't have the little part, call or
                                                email the folks at Anacortes Telescope and ask for one to be sent to you.

                                                Ron Wodaski
                                                The New CCD Astronomy
                                                http://www.newastro.com