Re: 80 ED triplet binoculars

  • Jon & Ruth Faasen
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4, 2005
      Please make them so 1.25" eyepieces can be used in them and include a
      pair of Swan eyepieces with every pair of 80 ED triplet binoculars
      sold.

      > > Dear Friends,
      > >
      > > We are making the 80ED triplet binoculars now, ( same as Megrez
      ED
      > > triplet objective) we would like to know what power range is
      > > recommend? 30X,40X,50X and 60X ??
      > >
      > > Thanks.
      > >
      > > William
    • Chris Appleton
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2005
        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Jon & Ruth Faasen"
        <faaz01@y...> wrote:

        You know Jon & Ruth, I agree with you both 100% and this sounds even
        much better then my previous post. I like the idea of using your own
        eyepieces and because I use a TV binoviewer, I already have pairs of
        30mm celestron ultimas
        12mm TV radians
        9mm UO

        This is going to be one hell of a pair of bino's

        Cheers,

        Chris Appleton

        > Please make them so 1.25" eyepieces can be used in them and
        include a
        > pair of Swan eyepieces with every pair of 80 ED triplet binoculars
        > sold.
        >

        > > > Dear Friends,
        > > >
        > > > We are making the 80ED triplet binoculars now, ( same as
        Megrez
        > ED
        > > > triplet objective) we would like to know what power range is
        > > > recommend? 30X,40X,50X and 60X ??
        > > >
        > > > Thanks.
        > > >
        > > > William
      • gary
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2005
          Regarding those who want to use all sorts of eyepieces, William has to
          throw the prism clear aperture into the equation. So it is not just what
          focal length EP you want to use, but the field stop will come into play.

          I don't have any high end binocs, but it seems to me that you might want
          to approach the problem from an applications viewpoint rather than just
          picking a power. That is, a birder (perhaps not a likely user for 80mm
          objective) would want a short tube version of these binocs since they
          can get their magnification with small focal length eyepieces. For
          astronomy, there would be the same widefield market (meteor showers?),
          plus those who rather have a long tube (actually tubes) version.

          The other thing to consider is the focus (individual eyepiece or center
          focus). If you could make a really well tracking center focus mechanism,
          that would be the way to go. It would serve the non-astro market as
          well as astro. Only astronomers would put up with individual eyepiece
          focus. Some of the high end astro market binocs have 45 degree eyepiece
          holders.

          This is going to be a tough market to crack. For ED glass, you have to
          compete with the Miyauchi BS77iB, which go for just over a grand. Maybe
          an idea would be to go for full APO quality and sell for a premium
          (50%?) above the 77mm Miyauchi.

          Chris Appleton wrote:

          > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Jon & Ruth Faasen"
          > <faaz01@y...> wrote:
          >
          > You know Jon & Ruth, I agree with you both 100% and this sounds even
          > much better then my previous post. I like the idea of using your own
          > eyepieces and because I use a TV binoviewer, I already have pairs of
          > 30mm celestron ultimas
          > 12mm TV radians
          > 9mm UO
          >
          > This is going to be one hell of a pair of bino's
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Chris Appleton
          >

          >>Please make them so 1.25" eyepieces can be used in them and
          >
          > include a
          >
          >>pair of Swan eyepieces with every pair of 80 ED triplet binoculars
          >>sold.

          > Megrez
          >
          >>ED

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • kurt_friedrich
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 4, 2005
            I had the Celestron 80mm's which were 20x, and I think that is the
            right number. If you get up much past that, you have to have a rock
            solid mount. I guess if you want to sell these exclusively to astro
            folks, that might be ok, but bino's are great for comets, wide field
            views, and terresterial objects. I think folks who want to look at
            planets, will use scopes.
            Kurt

            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "williamoptics2004"
            <william@w...> wrote:

            > Dear Friends,
            >
            > We are making the 80ED triplet binoculars now, ( same as Megrez ED
            > triplet objective) we would like to know what power range is
            > recommend? 30X,40X,50X and 60X ??
            >
            > Thanks.
            >
            > William
          • Jon & Ruth Faasen
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 7, 2005
              How about turrets with 15, 30 and 60x eyepieces that have a 60 degree
              or better appearant field of view.

              Many spotting scope have these features.