Re: 80 ED triplet binoculars

  • Chris Appleton
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4, 2005
      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "williamoptics2004"
      <william@w...> wrote:

      Hi William

      Why not use all of these magnifications where one could vary the
      power. I think that if it is the same ED glass as the Megrez, then
      it will handle 60x and even more. The higher powers would be very
      useful for lunar and planetatry viewing and lwer powers for wide
      field viewing. You can then sign me up for one of these babies.
      Looking forward to the final and how long will that be William?

      Cheers,

      Chris Appleton

      > Dear Friends,
      >
      > We are making the 80ED triplet binoculars now, ( same as Megrez ED
      > triplet objective) we would like to know what power range is
      > recommend? 30X,40X,50X and 60X ??
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > William
    • Jon & Ruth Faasen
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2005
        Please make them so 1.25" eyepieces can be used in them and include a
        pair of Swan eyepieces with every pair of 80 ED triplet binoculars
        sold.

        > > Dear Friends,
        > >
        > > We are making the 80ED triplet binoculars now, ( same as Megrez
        ED
        > > triplet objective) we would like to know what power range is
        > > recommend? 30X,40X,50X and 60X ??
        > >
        > > Thanks.
        > >
        > > William
      • Chris Appleton
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2005
          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Jon & Ruth Faasen"
          <faaz01@y...> wrote:

          You know Jon & Ruth, I agree with you both 100% and this sounds even
          much better then my previous post. I like the idea of using your own
          eyepieces and because I use a TV binoviewer, I already have pairs of
          30mm celestron ultimas
          12mm TV radians
          9mm UO

          This is going to be one hell of a pair of bino's

          Cheers,

          Chris Appleton

          > Please make them so 1.25" eyepieces can be used in them and
          include a
          > pair of Swan eyepieces with every pair of 80 ED triplet binoculars
          > sold.
          >

          > > > Dear Friends,
          > > >
          > > > We are making the 80ED triplet binoculars now, ( same as
          Megrez
          > ED
          > > > triplet objective) we would like to know what power range is
          > > > recommend? 30X,40X,50X and 60X ??
          > > >
          > > > Thanks.
          > > >
          > > > William
        • gary
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 4, 2005
            Regarding those who want to use all sorts of eyepieces, William has to
            throw the prism clear aperture into the equation. So it is not just what
            focal length EP you want to use, but the field stop will come into play.

            I don't have any high end binocs, but it seems to me that you might want
            to approach the problem from an applications viewpoint rather than just
            picking a power. That is, a birder (perhaps not a likely user for 80mm
            objective) would want a short tube version of these binocs since they
            can get their magnification with small focal length eyepieces. For
            astronomy, there would be the same widefield market (meteor showers?),
            plus those who rather have a long tube (actually tubes) version.

            The other thing to consider is the focus (individual eyepiece or center
            focus). If you could make a really well tracking center focus mechanism,
            that would be the way to go. It would serve the non-astro market as
            well as astro. Only astronomers would put up with individual eyepiece
            focus. Some of the high end astro market binocs have 45 degree eyepiece
            holders.

            This is going to be a tough market to crack. For ED glass, you have to
            compete with the Miyauchi BS77iB, which go for just over a grand. Maybe
            an idea would be to go for full APO quality and sell for a premium
            (50%?) above the 77mm Miyauchi.

            Chris Appleton wrote:

            > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Jon & Ruth Faasen"
            > <faaz01@y...> wrote:
            >
            > You know Jon & Ruth, I agree with you both 100% and this sounds even
            > much better then my previous post. I like the idea of using your own
            > eyepieces and because I use a TV binoviewer, I already have pairs of
            > 30mm celestron ultimas
            > 12mm TV radians
            > 9mm UO
            >
            > This is going to be one hell of a pair of bino's
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Chris Appleton
            >

            >>Please make them so 1.25" eyepieces can be used in them and
            >
            > include a
            >
            >>pair of Swan eyepieces with every pair of 80 ED triplet binoculars
            >>sold.

            > Megrez
            >
            >>ED

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • kurt_friedrich
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 4, 2005
              I had the Celestron 80mm's which were 20x, and I think that is the
              right number. If you get up much past that, you have to have a rock
              solid mount. I guess if you want to sell these exclusively to astro
              folks, that might be ok, but bino's are great for comets, wide field
              views, and terresterial objects. I think folks who want to look at
              planets, will use scopes.
              Kurt

              <william@w...> wrote:

              > Dear Friends,
              >
              > We are making the 80ED triplet binoculars now, ( same as Megrez ED
              > triplet objective) we would like to know what power range is
              > recommend? 30X,40X,50X and 60X ??
              >
              > Thanks.
              >
              > William
            • Jon & Ruth Faasen
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 7, 2005
                How about turrets with 15, 30 and 60x eyepieces that have a 60 degree
                or better appearant field of view.

                Many spotting scope have these features.