Finally mounted my Megrez - need some advice on setup

  • clemmonshoo
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2005
      I got an Orion EQ3 and a set of 90mm tube rings. The mount seems ok
      for the money and is very stable with this small and light scope. My
      problem is with setting up the balance in the Dec direction. The scope
      is so short that it barely fits between the rings, and therefore I
      don't have any room to slide the scope back and forth to achieve
      balance along the Dec axis like the mount's instruction say to do.

      Do I need a different setup like a dovetail plate and saddle or
      something like that? Sorry, I don't know a whole lot about how this
      stuff is supposed to go together.

      Any suggestions or advice on whatever other parts I need would be
      appreciated.

      Thanks,
      ClemmonsHoo
    • Jandorf, Hal (NAVAIR)
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2005
        I used a aluminum bar 1/4" x 1/2" x 18" (available from a metals supply warehouse) and I drilled holes to hold the Orion rings. Then tap (or drill) holes to position the bar and WO tube to balance the entire assembly on the equatorial mount. Several holes can allow several balance points (for camera, 2" Diagnol, large eyepiece etc..). I use 1/4"-20 bolts and oversize knobs. It's easy to install the bar/rings assembly. Instead of that bar, you could buy the Orion dovetail bar and drill as needed.

        --Hal

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2005

          Clemmons….I use a Losmandy GM 8 universal dovetail plate and a Losmandy saddle to get DEC balance.  I adapted the saddle to my Polaris mount.  Good luck…Dave V

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 6, 2005
            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "clemmonshoo" <glennrey@m...>
            wrote:

            > I got an Orion EQ3 and a set of 90mm tube rings. The mount seems ok
            > for the money and is very stable with this small and light scope. My
            > problem is with setting up the balance in the Dec direction. The scope
            > is so short that it barely fits between the rings, and therefore I
            > don't have any room to slide the scope back and forth to achieve
            > balance along the Dec axis like the mount's instruction say to do.
            >
            > Do I need a different setup like a dovetail plate and saddle or
            > something like that? Sorry, I don't know a whole lot about how this
            > stuff is supposed to go together.
            >
            > Any suggestions or advice on whatever other parts I need would be
            > appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > ClemmonsHoo

            Had a long, 2" wide piece of 1/2" oak plywood laying around left over
            from another project. Cut it to 14", measured and cut the mounting
            holes for attaching it to the mount, and found some black nuts and
            bolts just the right size. Then I just made holes every 1" right down
            the middle of it for attaching the tube rings. Amazingly, it works
            perfect - no flexing, shaking, or anything out of the ordinary. Cost
            - 1/2 hour of my time.
          • yahoogroups
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 7, 2005
              I've built mounts for various applications using scap aluminum, however,
              not everyone has a scrap center handy. [The one is use is called the
              "aluminum rem center" in Santa Clara for those in the bay area.] Your
              wooden mount is an interesting idea since wood is certainly more damped
              than metal. Rather than plywood, if you want to experiment with this,
              I'd suggest MDF, which is what they use for speaker cabinets.