Aesthetic Astronomy Views from the WO 80mm ED

  • Jandorf, Hal (NAVAIR)
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2004
      Hi Group,

      I recently purchased a WO 80mm ED and the images (Lunar, Planetary and Stellar) are the sharpest, color free images I've ever seen in 30 years of amateur astronomy. At least the best of all the telescopes I've own. Yes, a larger telescope will bive you more light grasp and more expensive flourite apos (like Takahashi) will give better color correction and better edge of field views, but I have reached the peak of telescopic performance and personal satisfaction. $798 gives us an awesome view of our universe!
      Enjoy it!
      It's very clear sky today so I'm going to set it up again tonight. First stop is Pleiades (seaching the nebulosity). Next is Rigel (looking for the faint companion to verify the "seeing"). Then it's Orion Nebula (looking for contrast of the fainter swirls and the elusive fifth star in the trapezium). I'll try to find the Crab Nebula and M-78. A tour of the double cluster in Perseus, NGC457 in Cassiopiea, the three clusters (M-37, M-36, M-38) in Auriga and M-35 and the faint NGC cluster near by in Gemini. A last view will be Saturn.
      I've seen these objects dozens of times before, but the new 80mm ED gives me a sharper, satisfying image. That's what I'm after. Personal enjoyment of Astronomy.

      Are you going out observing tonight? I'll think about all of us. Clear Skies and Happy Holidays!

      --Hal

      P.S. Any personal favorites of deep sky or doubles? Let me know!

      [Jandorf, Hal (NAVAIR)]