WO DCL-28 EP Adapter & "Soft" Focus Issues

  • Steve Wheeler
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 26, 2004
      I am using the WO DCL-28 eyepiece adapter with a Nikon Coolpix 4300
      to take some images (moon, planets mainly)through an Orion SkyView
      Pro 100mm refractor. Using the ep alone the view is great - tack
      sharp and full of detail. But when I try to take a pic through the
      camera (camera focused at infinity), the focus seems "soft" as if I
      am slightly out of focus.

      It looks ok on the LCD and the 13" color tv I use to monitor the
      video out of the camera, but looks "soft" when I view it on my PC or
      get a print made.

      Since the scope seems OK, is there some adjustment to the ep
      adapter/camera lens distance or some adjustment on the camera that I
      can make? I appreciate any help - thanks!

      Steve Wheeler
      TN-USA
    • williamopticsusa
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 26, 2004
        Hello Steve,

        Could you please email me at support@...
        We will like to know more about your situation, did you purchase the
        EP from us? Please reply at support email. Thanks.

        David

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Wheeler" <wsw261@h...>
        wrote:
        > I am using the WO DCL-28 eyepiece adapter with a Nikon Coolpix 4300
        > to take some images (moon, planets mainly)through an Orion SkyView
        > Pro 100mm refractor. Using the ep alone the view is great - tack
        > sharp and full of detail. But when I try to take a pic through the
        > camera (camera focused at infinity), the focus seems "soft" as if I
        > am slightly out of focus.
        >
        > It looks ok on the LCD and the 13" color tv I use to monitor the
        > video out of the camera, but looks "soft" when I view it on my PC
        or
        > get a print made.
        >
        > Since the scope seems OK, is there some adjustment to the ep
        > adapter/camera lens distance or some adjustment on the camera that
        > can make? I appreciate any help - thanks!
        >
        > Steve Wheeler
        > TN-USA
      • Søren Madsen
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 26, 2004
          Hi Steve!

          I have read that some people report, that some CP4500s doesnt focus at
          infinity when the cam is set to infinity, but one should rather focus
          a few clicks before maximum. Maby this could be the case with your CP4300?
          It is quite possible to use autofocus on the moon (havent tried it
          with planets, but I doubt it would work). You could try to use
          autofocus on the moon, to see if this solves the problem. In this
          case, the above infinity-problem might be the problem.
          (I also suspect, that focusing with your eyes, might be altered by how
          well your eyes are, i.e. if you need glasses or someting...)

          I have a CP4500 and focus with my eyes and use the can set to infinity
          (seems easiest, and Im lazy:). It works reasonably well, but Ive read
          that it would be better to roughly focus with your eyes and then
          refocus (with the cam at maximum optical AND digital zoom AND set to
          infinity focus) with a Hardman-mask or (maby better) a pair of
          diffraction strings. This should be perfered over the lazy eye-method
          AND autofocus. But autofocus should give reasonable results on the moon.

          Also, the resolution of the pictures on the LCD and the 13" color TV
          is way below the resolution of your monitor, so small differences in
          focus wont be visible here, but the Hardman-mask and diffraction-spike
          methods will show these.

          Hope it helps!

          Kind Regards,
          Søren Madsen

          wrote:
          > I am using the WO DCL-28 eyepiece adapter with a Nikon Coolpix 4300
          > to take some images (moon, planets mainly)through an Orion SkyView
          > Pro 100mm refractor. Using the ep alone the view is great - tack
          > sharp and full of detail. But when I try to take a pic through the
          > camera (camera focused at infinity), the focus seems "soft" as if I
          > am slightly out of focus.
          >
          > It looks ok on the LCD and the 13" color tv I use to monitor the
          > video out of the camera, but looks "soft" when I view it on my PC or
          > get a print made.
          >
          > Since the scope seems OK, is there some adjustment to the ep
          > adapter/camera lens distance or some adjustment on the camera that I
          > can make? I appreciate any help - thanks!
          >
          > Steve Wheeler
          > TN-USA
        • Steve Wheeler
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 27, 2004
            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Søren Madsen <Soeren@M...>
            wrote:
            >...but one should rather focus a few clicks before maximum. Maby
            this could be the case with your CP4300?<

            This sounds promising... I will give it a try and let you know how it
            turns out.<

            >It is quite possible to use autofocus on the moon (havent tried it
            with planets, but I doubt it would work).<

            I didn't have much luck with auto-focus - same issues.

            >(I also suspect, that focusing with your eyes, might be altered by
            how well your eyes are, i.e. if you need glasses or someting...)

            I do wear glasses, but try to focus with them on.

            >..refocus (with the cam at maximum optical AND digital zoom AND set
            to infinity focus) with a Hardman-mask or (maby better) a pair of
            > diffraction strings.<

            I tried a Hartman mask - results were as good as eyeballing it. I
            have not tried diffraction strings, yet. Will try this too and
            report back.

            Thanks!

            Steve Wheeler
            TN-USA
          • Søren Madsen
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 27, 2004
              > >It is quite possible to use autofocus on the moon (havent tried it
              > with planets, but I doubt it would work).<
              >
              > I didn't have much luck with auto-focus - same issues.

              My autofocus works pretty well on the moon. Does the autofocus seem to
              reach focus or does it look like it is having problems?

              You could also try to post one of your pictures. Most pictures you see
              have been heavily processed, which can "improve focus" quite alot...
              Here is one of my unprocessed images (using autofocus!):
              http://www.madsen2themax.dk/AstroImages/CP4500/Moon-halo.jpg

              and here is the same (or one from the same night), but processed:
              http://www.madsen2themax.dk/AstroImages/CP4500/Moon-Final_filtered.jpg

              Quite a difference! :D

              Hope it works out for you, and please post the solution WHEN you find
              it! :)

              Kind Regards,
              Søren Madsen
            • Steve Wheeler
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 27, 2004
                wrote:
                >You could also try to post one of your pictures. Most pictures you
                see have been heavily processed, which can "improve focus" quite
                alot...

                I put three of my pics in the Photos section in a folder
                called "Steve's DCL-28 Pics". Maybe I'm just asking too much of this
                setup, but take a look and let me know what you think.

                These are all single-shot (not stacked) uncompressed JPEG pics taken
                at the highest quality setting on the camera, except Moon 1 - it was
                shot as a TIF image and converted to JPEG with Photoshop LE. I know
                you can do a lot with post-processing, but my goal is to try to get
                the most from the scope and camera before I edit.

                Thanks again for you time and advice!

                Steve Wheeler
                TN-USA
              • Dave Kerr
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 27, 2004
                  Steve, I have the DCL-28 eyepiece and the DCL-52
                  for my CP 995 and CP 5700, respectively.

                  I use an Interact PSOne monitor - designed for
                  the Sony PS - to achieve optimum focus when
                  I'm photographing the moon. I have the cameras
                  set on Manual Focus infinity, by the way.

                  My other camera settings are:

                  Image adjustment Auto

                  Image sharpening Normal

                  White balance Auto

                  Metering Matrix

                  Also, don't discount the value of
                  post processing. Image Plus, which
                  is a great astrophotography program,
                  allows you to run Adaptive Richardson
                  Iterations which is basically an enhanced
                  sharpening tool, very useful for lunar
                  photos.

                  http://www.pbase.com/image/23025024/large

                  Dave

                  > I am using the WO DCL-28 eyepiece adapter with a Nikon Coolpix 4300
                  > to take some images (moon, planets mainly)through an Orion SkyView
                  > Pro 100mm refractor. Using the ep alone the view is great - tack
                  > sharp and full of detail. But when I try to take a pic through the
                  > camera (camera focused at infinity), the focus seems "soft" as if I
                  > am slightly out of focus.
                  >
                  > It looks ok on the LCD and the 13" color tv I use to monitor the
                  > video out of the camera, but looks "soft" when I view it on my PC
                  or
                  > get a print made.
                  >
                  > Since the scope seems OK, is there some adjustment to the ep
                  > adapter/camera lens distance or some adjustment on the camera that
                  > can make? I appreciate any help - thanks!
                  >
                  > Steve Wheeler
                  > TN-USA
                • Steve Wheeler
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 29, 2004
                    wrote:
                    >I have read that some people report, that some CP4500s doesnt focus
                    at infinity when the cam is set to infinity, but one should rather
                    focus a few clicks before maximum. Maby this could be the case with
                    your CP4300?<

                    You hit the nail on the head, Soren!!

                    I tried notching back the focus a few clicks, and noticed an
                    improvement in the image focus. I posted a couple of shots using
                    this technique - Moon 5a is the unprocessed TIF image, Moon 5b was
                    processed in Photoshop LE (unsharp mask, hue/sat, levels). Let me
                    know what you think.

                    Again, thanks for the advice!!

                    Steve Wheeler
                    TN-USA