Re: [William-Optics] Re: Problem with 2" Diagonal

  • Robert Hendricks
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 5 12:36 AM
      I have one of your diagonals that I bough last fall.  How do I kow if I have the problem version?

      Rob Hendricks

      williamoptics2004 <william@...> wrote:
      Dear Members,

      Sorry for my delay answer,I just got back from a business trip now.

      The problem on the SCT diagonal has been solved since 2003/OCT, we
      have redesign the thread adapter. it's now safe.
      I would like to know who has the same problem on SCT diagonal (the
      very first version), because we would like to replace the new adapter
      for someone who need to change.

      Please contact me at:  william@...
      Thank you.

      William

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Isamuthx <isamuthx@y...> wrote:
      > Andy,
      >
      > Ah, so I'm guessing that Williams hasn't addressed
      > this problem with their newer diagonals then.  How
      > unfortunate.  I'm very surprised that they haven't
      > posted something on their website to let owners know
      > of the potential problem with their diagonals and how
      > to fix them.  I'm currently waiting on a new diagonal
      > that soon to be released, to replace my Williams.  I
      > just don't like the thought of the diagonal comming
      > appart with an expensive eyepeice in it.
      >
      > Jeff
      >

      > --- Andy Witt <wittar1@c...> wrote:
      > > Jeff,
      > >
      > > I purchased mine in February 2004.  So, it is very
      > > new.  Luckily, I
      > > was placing a Barlow on when it decided to let go.
      > > I had the
      > > diagonal in my hand so it did not fall to the ground
      > > which was a
      > > concrete pad.  Very disappointing to lose the
      > > diagonal.  The optics
      > > were much better than my old 1.25" diagonal.
      > >
      > > Andy

    • Isamuthx
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 5 12:52 AM
        Hi Rob,

        Is the diagonal a SCT or a standard version? I have
        one of the standard versions (used with refractors).
        I believe you can determine what version it is by
        taking off the two triangular side pannels (I'd
        contact William's first for instructions if you've
        never taken the side pannel off before, I'm not sure
        if you void the warrenty by doing so), and then
        loosening the 4 set screws nearest the end where the
        diagonal connects to the scope (not the 4 screwes near
        the eyepeice holder). If the 2" tube (or SCT
        attachment as well, I'm assuming) is loose (rotates,
        falls off, etc.) after loosening the 4 set screws,
        then I believe you have the older version. If the
        tube is still solid (as if the set screws would seem
        to have no purpose) then I think you have the newer
        version. Mine is a newer version which William said
        is threaded together and does not need the set screws
        to hold the 2" tube on. This is just my 2 cents
        worth, so I'd contact Williams just to be sure.

        Clear Skys!

        Jeff (Utah)

        --- Robert Hendricks <fshendricks@...> wrote:
        > I have one of your diagonals that I bough last fall.
        > How do I kow if I have the problem version?
        >
        > Rob Hendricks

        http://search.yahoo.com
      • Andy Witt
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 5 4:36 AM
          I just purchased my 2" diagonal about 3 weeks ago and it sounds like
          I still have the old version. If I loosen the four set screws, then
          the piece falls out. William in Taiwan has asked me to take a
          picture of my diagonal dissassembled and send it to him to make sure
          what version I have.

          Regards,
          Andy
        • mark adams
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 5 4:53 AM
            I would hope you/we have the new diagonal since the new version came out last year, not unless it is still being sold from the old stock??  Now I am off to check mine.  I received mine last week.

            Mark Adams - KC8GLQ
            Columbus, OH

            Andy Witt <wittar1@...> wrote:
            I just purchased my 2" diagonal about 3 weeks ago and it sounds like
            I still have the old version.  If I loosen the four set screws, then
            the piece falls out.  William in Taiwan has asked me to take a
            picture of my diagonal dissassembled and send it to him to make sure
            what version I have.

            Regards,
            Andy

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Isamuthx
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 5 5:33 AM
              Mark & Andy,

              I believe I read somewhere that the new versions have
              "William Optics USA" engraved around the rim of the
              eyepeice holder. I could be wrong though. I also
              heard that older models (not sure how old) had a
              thinner mirror (bout 5mm thick vs. 10mm on the newer
              ones). Hope that helps.

              Jeff (Utah)

              --- mark adams <kc8glq@...> wrote:
              > I would hope you/we have the new diagonal since the
              > new version came out last year, not unless it is
              > still being sold from the old stock?? Now I am off
              > to check mine. I received mine last week.
              >
              > Mark Adams - KC8GLQ
              > Columbus, OH
              >
              > Andy Witt <wittar1@...> wrote:
              > I just purchased my 2" diagonal about 3 weeks ago
              > and it sounds like
              > I still have the old version. If I loosen the four
              > set screws, then
              > the piece falls out. William in Taiwan has asked me
              > to take a
              > picture of my diagonal dissassembled and send it to
              > him to make sure
              > what version I have.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Andy
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
              > Click Here

              > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

              http://search.yahoo.com
            • Andy Witt
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 5 5:50 AM
                Thanks for the info Jeff. I will check my diagonal tonight.

                Andy

                wrote:
                > Mark & Andy,
                >
                > I believe I read somewhere that the new versions have
                > "William Optics USA" engraved around the rim of the
                > eyepeice holder. I could be wrong though. I also
                > heard that older models (not sure how old) had a
                > thinner mirror (bout 5mm thick vs. 10mm on the newer
                > ones). Hope that helps.
                >
                > Jeff (Utah)
                >

                > --- mark adams <kc8glq@y...> wrote:
                > > I would hope you/we have the new diagonal since the
                > > new version came out last year, not unless it is
                > > still being sold from the old stock?? Now I am off
                > > to check mine. I received mine last week.
                > >
                > > Mark Adams - KC8GLQ
                > > Columbus, OH
                > >
                > > Andy Witt <wittar1@c...> wrote:
                > > I just purchased my 2" diagonal about 3 weeks ago
                > > and it sounds like
                > > I still have the old version. If I loosen the four
                > > set screws, then
                > > the piece falls out. William in Taiwan has asked me
                > > to take a
                > > picture of my diagonal dissassembled and send it to
                > > him to make sure
                > > what version I have.
                > >
                > > Regards,
                > > Andy
                > >

                > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                > > Click Here

                > > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                > http://search.yahoo.com
              • Michael Harp
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 5 10:46 AM
                  The same thing happened to me.  Just tighten the 4 set screws and you should be fine.  I called them about it too and they acted like they didn't understand.  Finally, they did, but wanted me to send it back for repair.  I declined and fixed it myself.

                  Michael Harp

                  Andy Witt <wittar1@...> wrote:
                  I had a major problem wth my 2" diagonal for an SCT last night.  The
                  part of the diagonal that screws into the back of my SCT fell off
                  the rest of the diagonal.  It looks like there are 4 set-screws (2
                  on each side) that hold this in place.  Unfortunately, they do not
                  hold it in place anymore.  Is this something that I should fix
                  myself or send it back to Williams?  I do not want to void my
                  warranty by taking the metal side panels off.  Has anyone else had
                  this problem?  Should the threaded part rotate independently of the
                  rest of the diagonal?

                  Thanks,
                  Andy

                  Michael Harp
                  http://CopperPans.com
                • Andy Witt
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 5 2:29 PM
                    Jeff,

                    Mine does say Williams Optics USA on the EP holder and the mirror is
                    10 mm thick but the piece still fell off.

                    Andy

                    --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Witt" <wittar1@c...>
                    wrote:
                    > Thanks for the info Jeff. I will check my diagonal tonight.
                    >
                    > Andy
                    >
                    > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Isamuthx <isamuthx@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > Mark & Andy,
                    > >
                    > > I believe I read somewhere that the new versions have
                    > > "William Optics USA" engraved around the rim of the
                    > > eyepeice holder. I could be wrong though. I also
                    > > heard that older models (not sure how old) had a
                    > > thinner mirror (bout 5mm thick vs. 10mm on the newer
                    > > ones). Hope that helps.
                    > >
                    > > Jeff (Utah)
                    > >

                    > > --- mark adams <kc8glq@y...> wrote:
                    > > > I would hope you/we have the new diagonal since the
                    > > > new version came out last year, not unless it is
                    > > > still being sold from the old stock?? Now I am off
                    > > > to check mine. I received mine last week.
                    > > >
                    > > > Mark Adams - KC8GLQ
                    > > > Columbus, OH
                    > > >
                    > > > Andy Witt <wittar1@c...> wrote:
                    > > > I just purchased my 2" diagonal about 3 weeks ago
                    > > > and it sounds like
                    > > > I still have the old version. If I loosen the four
                    > > > set screws, then
                    > > > the piece falls out. William in Taiwan has asked me
                    > > > to take a
                    > > > picture of my diagonal dissassembled and send it to
                    > > > him to make sure
                    > > > what version I have.
                    > > >
                    > > > Regards,
                    > > > Andy
                    > > >

                    > > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                    > > > Click Here

                    > > > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                    > > Yahoo! Search - Find what you're looking for faster
                    > > http://search.yahoo.com
                  • Andy Witt
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 5 4:20 PM
                      William,

                      Nee how. I am sure that is not how it is spelt but phonetically I
                      think it is correct.

                      I sent you picture of my diagonal. Let me know if you did not get
                      them.

                      I am very impressed with the optics but I really think a better way
                      to connection between the threaded piece and the rest of the
                      diagonal is called for especially for SCT's. Perhaps some type of a
                      compression fitting called for. Four point contacts for the end of
                      a diagonal that takes a two-inch barlow, a two-inch EP, and perhaps
                      a CCD does not seem the engineered way to do it. I hope you take
                      that as a critical evaluation as opposed to a jab because, as I
                      said, I am impressed with the optics. The other issue I have is
                      that the threaded collar no longer turns independently of the rest
                      of the diagonal. This is a problem because I cannot get the
                      diagonal in a good place physically and have it tightened at the
                      same time.

                      Gambay (again phonetically),
                      Andy
                    • Robert Hendricks
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 5 5:17 PM
                        Thanks,  I am on four months of travel, but when I get by the to the US I will check it out as you instruct.  I have been buying the best equipment I can afford with the idea that it will last for the rest of my lifetime (not that long to go ).

                        Thanks, Rob

                        --- Robert Hendricks wrote:
                        > I have one of your diagonals that I bough last fall.
                        > How do I kow if I have the problem version?
                        >
                        > Rob Hendricks

                        http://search.yahoo.com

                        http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/9rHolB/TM

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        Do you Yahoo!?

                      • mark adams
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 5 5:54 PM
                          Haven't had a chance to check mine out but I am sure it has, "Williams Optics USA.

                          Thank you,

                          Mark KC8GLQ

                          wrote:
                          > Thanks for the info Jeff.  I will check my diagonal tonight.
                          >
                          > Andy
                          >
                          > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Isamuthx <isamuthx@y...>
                          > wrote:
                          > > Mark & Andy,
                          > >
                          > > I believe I read somewhere that the new versions have
                          > > "William Optics USA" engraved around the rim of the
                          > > eyepeice holder.  I could be wrong though.  I also
                          > > heard that older models (not sure how old) had a
                          > > thinner mirror (bout 5mm thick vs. 10mm on the newer
                          > > ones).  Hope that helps.
                          > >
                          > > Jeff (Utah)
                          > >

                          > > --- mark adams <kc8glq@y...> wrote:
                          > > > I would hope you/we have the new diagonal since the
                          > > > new version came out last year, not unless it is
                          > > > still being sold from the old stock??  Now I am off
                          > > > to check mine.  I received mine last week.
                          > > >
                          > > > Mark Adams - KC8GLQ
                          > > > Columbus, OH
                          > > >
                          > > > Andy Witt <wittar1@c...> wrote:
                          > > > I just purchased my 2" diagonal about 3 weeks ago
                          > > > and it sounds like
                          > > > I still have the old version.  If I loosen the four
                          > > > set screws, then
                          > > > the piece falls out.  William in Taiwan has asked me
                          > > > to take a
                          > > > picture of my diagonal dissassembled and send it to
                          > > > him to make sure
                          > > > what version I have.
                          > > >
                          > > > Regards,
                          > > > Andy
                          > > >

                          > > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                          > > > Click Here

                          > > >    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
                          > > > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                        • williamoptics2004
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 5 8:05 PM
                            The older version with thin mirror is not available at any dealer
                            since late 2002.

                            The new version with 10mm thick and 1/10 wave mirror has
                            "Williams Optics USA" engraved on the eyepiece holder.

                            we have 2 different 2" tube and SCT thread adapter sold in the market
                            (both are new generation)

                            problem is when we start relase those new Generation diagonal,the
                            2" tube adapter and SCT adapter has made a wrong design in connection
                            between main diagonal body, the end of connection tube holder has a
                            flat thread,so the 4 small set screws can not be 100% secure during
                            the temperature changed (includes SCT adapter).

                            Improvement

                            First improvement: After this problem start happened .we have
                            redesign the 2"and SCT adapter immediately for people who need to
                            replace this adapter.( it has 45 degree angle on the end of
                            connection tube adapter.

                            Second Improvement: we change the 2" tube adapter in to
                            thread-to-thread design on all standard version diagonal.
                            ( the SCT version still remain in 45 degree angle on the end of
                            connection design) it won't fell off in this design.

                            hope those information can make the problem clear.Thanks.

                            William
                          • Isamuthx
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 5 8:12 PM
                              Andy,

                              Hmm, guess what I read was wrong, or perhaps Williams
                              is still using the set-screw attachment for the SCT
                              versions. I wonder if bonding the two peices together
                              with epoxy, and then tightening the 4 set screws for
                              added security would work. Just a thought, might be
                              worth asking Williams about.

                              Regards,

                              Jeff (Utah)

                              http://search.yahoo.com
                            • Al Klayton
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 5 8:20 PM
                                William,
                                Is there an easy way to see if one has the diagonal with the new thread to thread design?
                                Thanks,
                                Al

                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 5 9:44 PM
                                  Hi Al,

                                  Yes, for 2" standard version,just twist the 2" tube holder adapter
                                  ( from right to left) than it will loose the thread.

                                  for SCT version and 2" holder (replace) version:

                                  1. please loose 4 small set screw completely until the
                                  SCT adapter/ 2" tube holder came off.
                                  2. Check the end of the holder adapter, see if it's a flat thread or
                                  45 degrss angle? Angle is the final version.

                                  William

                                  > William,
                                  > Is there an easy way to see if one has the diagonal with the new
                                  thread to thread design?
                                  > Thanks,
                                  > Al
                                • Al Klayton
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 5 10:04 PM
                                    Hi William,
                                    One more question.  Are there any set screws used in the new 2" standard version to prevent the tube from unscrewing?
                                    Thanks,
                                    Al
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 5 10:38 PM
                                      Hi Al,

                                      Yes,all our diagonal has 8 set screws inside the main triangle body,
                                      but, the lower side of those 4 set screws did not touch the thread on
                                      tube holder, if the set screws touch the thread on holder tube, it
                                      will damage the thread, so make sure those 4 set screws did not touch
                                      the male thread on 2" holder tube for thread to thread version.

                                      by the way, the upper 4 set screws (for eyepiece holder)is for
                                      left-handed to change the big tighten screw to the left hand side.

                                      William

                                      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Al Klayton" <aklayton@p...>

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 5 11:05 PM
                                        William,

                                        I have the newer 2" diagonal with the thread on 2"
                                        tube. I've tightened the 4 set screws because I
                                        thought they needed to be tight to hold the 2" tube on
                                        (I didn't know the 2" tube was threaded on until just
                                        yesterday). If the threads on the 2" tube were
                                        dammaged from tightening the 4 set screws, does it
                                        really matter? Is there any reason I would ever need
                                        to remove the 2" tube?

                                        Thanks,

                                        Jeff (Utah)

                                        wrote:
                                        > Hi Al,
                                        >
                                        > Yes,all our diagonal has 8 set screws inside the
                                        > main triangle body,
                                        > but, the lower side of those 4 set screws did not
                                        > touch the thread on
                                        > tube holder, if the set screws touch the thread on
                                        > holder tube, it
                                        > will damage the thread, so make sure those 4 set
                                        > screws did not touch
                                        > the male thread on 2" holder tube for thread to
                                        > thread version.
                                        >
                                        > by the way, the upper 4 set screws (for eyepiece
                                        > holder)is for
                                        > left-handed to change the big tighten screw to the
                                        > left hand side.
                                        >
                                        > William
                                        >

                                        > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Al Klayton"
                                        > <aklayton@p...>
                                        > wrote:
                                        > > Hi William,
                                        > > One more question. Are there any set screws used
                                        > in the new 2"
                                        > standard version to prevent the tube from
                                        > unscrewing?
                                        > > Thanks,
                                        > > Al

                                        http://search.yahoo.com
                                      • williamoptics2004
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 6 6:34 AM
                                          Hi Jeff,

                                          As long as you don't want to change other "custom made" adapter,it's
                                          fine.