First light from Star71 - new member

  • tomdiana12000
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 2014
      I just joined this group after obtaining a WO Star71 imaging refractor.  I had my first opportunity to test it under the stars last weekend.  Overall, I am very happy with this scope.  As mentioned in a previous post, it is solidly built. I did notice that the focuser draw tube wobbled a bit but was able to adjust that via the two brass screws on top of the tube.  The only feature (albeit minor) I wish was different is that the dew shield could be a little longer.

      As far as the images obtained with this scope, I was able to take 14 five-minute subframes before the clouds rolled in.  I used a modified Canon 650D at ISO 1600.  The field is extremely flat and the color correction looks very good.  The only less-than-perfect aspect of the image worth noting is the asymmetrical halo around 52 Cygni.

      Here is a link to a 2400x1600 pixel image of the Veil Nebula complex.  It seemed like a nice object for a scope with this field of view.

      Deep Sky Objects - Veil Nebula supernova remnant

      I welcome any comments on it.

      Tom

    • bob44pam
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 29, 2014
        Look pretty good. Nice FOV. I just got the WO GTF 81mm and love it. Great scopes for the money.