Using a flip mirror

  • dancingononeleg
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25, 2014

      I am new to this group and considering buying a Megrez 120 and wonder whether I’ll be able use it with my Van Slyke Slider (flip mirror device)? I’ll be connecting a DSLR to the rear port and various eyepieces with parfocalising extension tubes to the side port. The manufacturer of the slider says that 90mm of back focus is needed to accommodate it with a camera or an eyepiece and this seems to be available from reading the specs of the Megrez. However I see that folks on this forum have reported in-focus problems using the Slider with the FLT110, a scope with similar features to the Megrez 120, so I thought I’d seek the knowledge and experience of the folks in this group.

      Thanks

      Michael
    • dancingononeleg
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 19 1:36 PM
        I posted this question but didn't get an answer, it was perhaps rather too specific. Anyway I tried out the Megrez 120 with the flip mirror and yes it does come to focus, but only just. When I attach my Canon 60D via a T ring adapter to the flip mirror housing, the focuser on the Megrez needs to be only extended by 7mm from its fully home position to view astro. objects. If the light cone from the Megrez had been much shorter this would not have been possible. So now I have a great scope and the convenience of the flip mirror for viewing/photography.
        Michael