Megrez90 and Flattener

  • ejoliveira1970
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2013
      Can someone please indicate a suitable Field Flattener for an old version (NON digital display gauge) of the Megrez90? The field flattener that came with my second hand purchase was the WO AFR-IV Adjustable Flattener / 0.8x Reducer that won't reach focus. Any help is appreciated.

      Eduardo Oliveira.
    • John Robert Adamson
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 2, 2013

        HI

        I use a WO Flattener 3, it does need the extension tube. Have you tried the Flattener 4 with an extension tube?

        Robert

        Can someone please indicate a suitable Field Flattener for an old version (NON digital display gauge) of the Megrez90? The field flattener that came with my second hand purchase was the WO AFR-IV Adjustable Flattener / 0.8x Reducer that won't reach focus. Any help is appreciated.

        Eduardo Oliveira.

      • Eduardo Oliveira
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2013
          Hi Robert,

          The problem is that there is not enough inward distance to reach focus, so I think an extension tube would be of no avail. Do you use the WO Flattener3 with which telescope? Is it a Megrez90? Is it a new (DDG) or old version?

          Thank you,

          Eduardo.
        • John Robert Adamson
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2013

            HI

            It’s a Megrez 90 not the new DDG version.

            Robert

            The problem is that there is not enough inward distance to reach focus, so I think an extension tube would be of no avail. Do you use the WO Flattener3 with which telescope? Is it a Megrez90? Is it a new (DDG) or old version?

            Thank you,

            Eduardo.

          • Gianluca Sordiglioni
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 3, 2013
              f/6.2 or f/.9 ?
              The model with the L-bar or not?

            • Eduardo Oliveira
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 3, 2013
                Its the model with the L-bar that can connect to a camera tripod. Mine is the older version Megrez90  (non Digital gauge display) f/6.2. I know now for a fact that it will not reach focus with the WO adjustable flattener type 4, I just received an e-mail from William Optics confirming me that. Now I need to find a suitable flattener for the telescope. I have received some suggestions, but apparently the best performing flattener for this telescope (a Borg model) is no longer produced. Any suggestions for alternatives? In a recent review at cloudy nights by Gianluca Rossi (http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=2847), I found the following information:

                "You need a field flattener for photographing with this scope. William optics was unable to deliver a specific flattener for this model as it is the old version of the Megrez 90 that is no longer produced. After trying various correctors of other brands I solved the problem with one cheap brandless universal field flattener/focal reducer suitable for refractors between 400 and 600 mm of focal length that is perfect for my needs."

                I would love to know which flattener is this "cheap brandless universal"one that he refers to...

                Regards,

                Eduardo.
              • inzet
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 4, 2013

                  I have experience with the f/6.9 model.

                  Borg 7887 cover 100% (I have this one)

                  TeleVue TRF-2008 cover 90%

                  WO FFIII cover 80%

                  If your sensor size is small, FFIII is a great choice.

                  However, your f/6.2 model is a completely different telescope, optical schema is different. It should have a different name to avoid confusion. I think Gianluca's statements are based on experience, so you contact him for more details.

                  My only suggestion is to pay great attention to sensor-to-lenses distance, normally 55mm. This distance comes free on Nikon's (45+10mm T2), using Canon you have to add 1mm.

                  Gianluca

                • ejoliveira1970
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 5, 2013

                    Gianluca,

                    Thank you very much...I am very inclined to go with the TV TRF-2008. I wish Borg 7887 was still available, but its not anymore..

                    Eduardo.