M42 with GTF 102

  • maaadscientist
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 11, 2013
      Stack of 3 - 13 minute subs with OpticStar 616 one shot color camera. Core a bit blown out, have to go back and blend 2 shorter exposures in.

      Dan L
    • dan_kordella
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 11, 2013

        Nice work - this is with the built-in flattener, correct? This scope is f/7.7, right? Have you tried any objects that are not as bright as M42?

        The built-in flattener seems nice, but f/7.7 just seems so slow for DSO imaging...

        ---In william-optics@yahoogroups.com, <maadscientist@...> wrote:

        Stack of 3 - 13 minute subs with OpticStar 616 one shot color camera. Core a bit blown out, have to go back and blend 2 shorter exposures in.

        Dan L
      • Jim Hendricks
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 11, 2013
          Beautifully done Dan!

          Bravo!

          Jim

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 11, 2013
            Thanks Dan,

            Yes, it is the 5 element APO with 2 in the back. I assume it is mostly a flattner, but it might have some focal reduction, the literarture is not clear.

            This is a buddy of mine's scope. Since I do a lot of planetary and deep sky, he asked me to check it out. My personal refrator corral is Lomo 80, Orion 100, AstroTech 111, Explore Scientific 127 and Vixen Neo 140.

            The flattner built in is great for one unbeatable reason - it is designed as an optical system. Adding a third party flattner, or worse, flattnener/reducer can have disappointing results if it was not part of the original design.

            I woul not put any stock in higher f ratios are too slow for imaging. It is all about your sampling rate and the skies you have based on the focal length of the imaging train. Given the same aperture, 102, to get a shorter focal length you will have to shorten the F ratio, but this changes your field of view. I routinely image with a C-14 at F8 through native F11. You just have to bin your pixels to avoid too much oversampling.

            Dan L

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 11, 2013
              Thanks Jim,

              I got lazy and posted it without cleaning up the core. The one thing about the image is it has what I feel to be the correct brown tonal nebulosirty out at the ends. A lot of M42's have too much magenta for my taste.

              My 2 cents,

              Dan

              ---In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, <jimi@...> wrote:

              Beautifully done Dan!