Re: New member need advice please flt110 digi

  • notgnirramot
    Message 1 of 7 , May 25, 2013
      I have the older Lite version which Imuse primarily for astrophoto's. My Focuser is not the current digi style.

      I find the optics to be very good for my use. I get no spurious color in my images even around very bright stars. The resolution is also very good for this size of scope. Of course the seeing, focusing, and tracking play a big role with that, now that I have switched to an Astro-Physics mount the resolution is much better. I am completely satisfied with my FLT110 other than the Focuser, while it works ok it could be more robust. At some point I will upgrade to a Moonlite brand Focuser.

      WO does not advertise the glass in the FLT110, which means it is not the same as they use on the FLT132.

      Bottom line, this has been a very good purchase, one I would gladly make again.

      Good luck

      Tom

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, spsesq89 <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Hello all
      >
      > I am new to this group and I hope you may be able to assist me. I am ready to pull the trigger on a purchase of the new FLT110. If purchased now it comes with a bonus flattener. I have a couple questions:
      > 1) how are the optics and what type of glass is WO using for this scope?
      > 2) most importantly are you all happy With the scope both visually and photographically? and finally;
      > 3) how does the digi focuser hold up or am I looking to upgrade it immediately. My setup is a CGEM or a cg5 (for portability) 50mm orion guide scope and Celestron Nextguider and the imager is my Nikon D80 camera (un modded).
      > Thanks and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
      > Steve

    • Jim Hendricks
      Message 2 of 7 , May 25, 2013
        Hello Everyone.

        I have just bought a secondhand Megrez 72 for widefield and guiding and it is rather nicely made. I stripped the focuser down and set the planetary gear correctly...lubricated the bearing properly...cleaned and adjusted everything and it is solid as a rock and locks down fine.

        Now all that is done I was really happy I had cured all the little gremlns these things have until I hit near zenith trying to image M13 tonight and found that the dew shield just keeps on slipping back down the tube on its own...not good at all. This is exacerbated by the dew heater strip weight.

        Any suggestions guys and gals?

        Jimi
      • Timm B
        Message 3 of 7 , May 25, 2013

          Do you know how to remove the dew shield? Most simply unscrew from the ring, that is colored, towards the focuser. Then you can slide it off, and you will see the felt around the optical ring that is probably worn. Buy a s 99 cent sheet of self sticking felt from a craft or fabric store. Cut some pieces and stick them in place. Put the dew shield back on, and try it. Its trial and error to get it the way you want it.

          Hope that helps.

          Timm

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Hendricks" <jimi@...> wrote:

          > Hello Everyone.
          >
          > I have just bought a secondhand Megrez 72 for widefield and guiding and it
          > is rather nicely made. I stripped the focuser down and set the planetary
          > gear correctly...lubricated the bearing properly...cleaned and adjusted
          > everything and it is solid as a rock and locks down fine.
          >
          > Now all that is done I was really happy I had cured all the little gremlns
          > these things have until I hit near zenith trying to image M13 tonight and
          > found that the dew shield just keeps on slipping back down the tube on its
          > own...not good at all. This is exacerbated by the dew heater strip weight.
          >
          > Any suggestions guys and gals?
          >
          > Jimi

        • Jim Hendricks
          Message 4 of 7 , May 26, 2013
            Hi Timm

            Yes...I've had it off...the only way to do it is to remove the cell...or the focuser whichever you prefer but I removed the cell as I wanted to blow out the swarf from the thread which has a tendency to fall down inside the tube and onto the baffles...and some had collected there. I have seen examples where it also falls all over the back of the lens which cannot be good.

            The felt does look worn.....so I guess that's the problem. I might just drill out the shield and put some nylon grub screws in there...seems a better solution all round at the end of the day. Or I could just go the whole hog and put a proper lock knob on it similar to the one that works perfectly on my TMB 105:

            That seems a more sensible modification....

            Thanks for the inspiration Timm...much appreciated.

            Jimi

            Do you know how to remove the dew shield? Most simply unscrew from the ring, that is colored, towards the focuser. Then you can slide it off, and you will see the felt around the optical ring that is probably worn. Buy a s 99 cent sheet of self sticking felt from a craft or fabric store. Cut some pieces and stick them in place. Put the dew shield back on, and try it. Its trial and error to get it the way you want it.

            Hope that helps.

            Timm

            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Hendricks" <jimi@...> wrote:

            > Hello Everyone.
            >
            > I have just bought a secondhand Megrez 72 for widefield and guiding and
            it
            > is rather nicely made. I stripped the focuser down and set the
            planetary
            > gear correctly...lubricated the bearing properly...cleaned and
            adjusted
            > everything and it is solid as a rock and locks down fine.
            >
            > Now all that is done I was really happy I had cured all the
            little gremlns
            > these things have until I hit near zenith trying to image
            M13 tonight and
            > found that the dew shield just keeps on slipping back
            down the tube on its
            > own...not good at all. This is exacerbated by the
            dew heater strip weight.

            > Any suggestions guys and gals?
            >
            > Jimi

          • Paul
            Message 5 of 7 , May 26, 2013
              Tape.

              Sent from my iPad
            • Jim Hendricks
              Message 6 of 7 , May 26, 2013
                Yes...I had thought of tape and elastic bands but then I thought that was a bit Heath Robinson for a scope which is otherwise rather well made. I think I will go with the thumbscrew idea...shouldn't take long and it's for life. I will used a soft tipped thumbscrew to prevent scratching.

                Tonight I used a piece of the label which happened to be on the dew tape wire to remind me which is which...that worked!

                As I was imaging M51 is was virtually at zenith so it had to be done...

                Cheers

                Jim