RE: [William Optics] Re: WO GTF81 Accessories for dummies :)

  • Monica Garliceanu
    Message 1 of 11 , May 14, 2013
      Hi Gianluca,

      Thanks for the feedback. I think in time I will get more eyepieces, these are just for start (as I can't afford all of them at once). I tried to select the ones for which I found the most positive reviews. The TV 8mm Plossl was reviewed after testing (along other eyepieces) in a CloudyNights document. And there isn't a 7 or 6 mm on this eyepiece.
      Anyway, I was looking at a Baader Classic Ortho 6mm - wondering if that is a good choice? I'll have to decide between these two for now.

      From what I read here on the forum the GTF81 has an built in field flattener and does not need another one. Can anyone confirm this?

      Thanks again,

      Monica

      To: William-Optics@yahoogroups.com
      From: gsordiglioni@...
      Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 13:22:48 +0200
      Subject: [William Optics] Re: WO GTF81 Accessories for dummies :)

      Monica,

      you could buy the UWAN series, the WO 7mm and 16mm. Or consider the Vixen LVW 17 for large field views.
      I own the Megrez 90 f/6.9. For fast grab and go observation, I find the 7.5-22.5mm WO Zoom eyepiece is fantastic. However it suffer from small FoV at 22.5mm (42° only), while enought at 7.5mm (65°).
      For planetary visions I would not suggest a 8mm Plossl. Take *at least* a 7mm.
      Sometimes to see Jupiter I use the UWAN 4mm even thought I think it gives its best on globulars.
      In fact it suffer from parassite lights, and the 82° FoV is not necessary.
      The 14mm 100° is a good choice. You get a higher powered view but with a FoV comparable to a 17mm. However read the CloudyNights website, someone wrote you can't see the whole 100°; someone tested it on a M90 too. Be careful.

      For astrophotogray, the M90 has an evident field curvature. Using the camera adapter only coupled with a DSLR you will be forced to crop your frame a lot because borders are much distorted. Even using the Lens Distortion filter in Photoshop, you can't get soddisfactory results. Best use a field flatterner, even a general purpouse one that sells many dealer (OPT, TeleskopService, and others).

      Take care,
      Gianluca

    • Ray Hurst
      Message 2 of 11 , May 15, 2013

        Monica,

        I can’t comment on the eyepieces because I only use my GTF-81 got imaging.

        I only have a few very old eyepieces.

        As to the Flattener , you are correct you don’t need one because it is built in.

        Ray

        Thanks for the feedback. I think in time I will get more eyepieces, these are just for start (as I can't afford all of them at once). I tried to select the ones for which I found the most positive reviews. The TV 8mm Plossl was reviewed after testing (along other eyepieces) in a CloudyNights document. And there isn't a 7 or 6 mm on this eyepiece.
        Anyway, I was looking at a Baader Classic Ortho 6mm - wondering if that is a good choice? I'll have to decide between these two for now.

        From what I read here on the forum the GTF81 has an built in field flattener and does not need another one. Can anyone confirm this?

        Thanks again,

        Monica

        To: William-Optics@yahoogroups.com