RE: [William Optics] Re: WO GTF81 Accessories for dummies :)

  • Monica Garliceanu
    Message 1 of 11 , May 5, 2013
      Hi Marco and Timm,

      I will have to set up everything all by myself and that will be a little bit of challenge, that's why I decided to go for the same brand (as the telescope)tube rings. This, I hope, it guarantees that they will fit perfectly and although I will pay more $$ I think it will save me some frustration and time (and time is money:).

      The remote shutter is the one thing that I didn't research too much so I went with what I thought it would work. But thanks a lot for the tip, Marco, I will look into that one.

      I will definitely need some guidance for Astrophotography and I will get that ebook. Thanks, Timm.

      I don't expect it to be easy, I take pictures (here on Earth:) and I know there's a lot of work involved. Taking pictures of the sky must be even more difficult.

      Thanks again,

      Monica

      To: William-Optics@yahoogroups.com
      From: frissenm@...
      Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 12:33:21 -0700
      Subject: RE: [William Optics] Re: WO GTF81 Accessories for dummies :)

      Hi Monica,

      Excellent list. I love Backyard EOS, even though I'm a mac user.
      I was looking for a new mount and am doubting between the iOptron zeq25 and celestron AVX, so very interested about your experiences once you have it.

      Regarding t-rings, I usually go for cheap unbranded ones, usually found on ebay etc for a few $

      Why the rf602 remote trigger? I went for the JJC TM-C LCD Timer Remote Shutter. Can also be timd, pretty nice for timelapses (if you're into such thing)

      As Timm says, the ebook DSLR photography is a great way to get up to speed. You might want to check out Nebulosity as well. Unfortunately, in astrophotography, shooting photos is only 20% of the work, way more work is done in post..

      Cheers
      Marco
      --
      Sent with Yahoo! Mail for iPad

      --
      Sent with Yahoo! Mail for iPad

      Message 2 of 11 , May 6, 2013
        Monica,

        you could buy the UWAN series, the WO 7mm and 16mm. Or consider the Vixen LVW 17 for large field views.
        I own the Megrez 90 f/6.9. For fast grab and go observation, I find the 7.5-22.5mm WO Zoom eyepiece is fantastic. However it suffer from small FoV at 22.5mm (42° only), while enought at 7.5mm (65°).
        For planetary visions I would not suggest a 8mm Plossl. Take *at least* a 7mm.
        Sometimes to see Jupiter I use the UWAN 4mm even thought I think it gives its best on globulars.
        In fact it suffer from parassite lights, and the 82° FoV is not necessary.
        The 14mm 100° is a good choice. You get a higher powered view but with a FoV comparable to a 17mm. However read the CloudyNights website, someone wrote you can't see the whole 100°; someone tested it on a M90 too. Be careful.

        For astrophotogray, the M90 has an evident field curvature. Using the camera adapter only coupled with a DSLR you will be forced to crop your frame a lot because borders are much distorted. Even using the Lens Distortion filter in Photoshop, you can't get soddisfactory results. Best use a field flatterner, even a general purpouse one that sells many dealer (OPT, TeleskopService, and others).

        Take care,
        Gianluca

      • Monica Garliceanu
        Message 3 of 11 , May 14, 2013
          Hi Gianluca,

          Thanks for the feedback. I think in time I will get more eyepieces, these are just for start (as I can't afford all of them at once). I tried to select the ones for which I found the most positive reviews. The TV 8mm Plossl was reviewed after testing (along other eyepieces) in a CloudyNights document. And there isn't a 7 or 6 mm on this eyepiece.
          Anyway, I was looking at a Baader Classic Ortho 6mm - wondering if that is a good choice? I'll have to decide between these two for now.

          From what I read here on the forum the GTF81 has an built in field flattener and does not need another one. Can anyone confirm this?

          Thanks again,

          Monica

          To: William-Optics@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 11 , May 15, 2013

            Monica,

            I can’t comment on the eyepieces because I only use my GTF-81 got imaging.

            I only have a few very old eyepieces.

            As to the Flattener , you are correct you don’t need one because it is built in.

            Ray

            Thanks for the feedback. I think in time I will get more eyepieces, these are just for start (as I can't afford all of them at once). I tried to select the ones for which I found the most positive reviews. The TV 8mm Plossl was reviewed after testing (along other eyepieces) in a CloudyNights document. And there isn't a 7 or 6 mm on this eyepiece.
            Anyway, I was looking at a Baader Classic Ortho 6mm - wondering if that is a good choice? I'll have to decide between these two for now.

            From what I read here on the forum the GTF81 has an built in field flattener and does not need another one. Can anyone confirm this?

            Thanks again,

            Monica

            To: William-Optics@yahoogroups.com