RE: [William Optics] Re: WO GTF81 Accessories for dummies :)

  • Monica Garliceanu
    Message 1 of 11 , May 4, 2013
      Thank you both, Timm and Ray fro the help. I thought that the easiest way to go would be the L shaped bracket, but unfortunately mine didn't come with one. So I will have to go for the rings and the dovetail.

      So far I decided for the WO  2" dielectric diagonal and I still have to think about the eyepieces. And then the camera adapter and T-ring and the BackyardEOS software.

      This hobby ain't cheap :).

      This is all great information and I thank you again!

      Monica

      To: William-Optics@yahoogroups.com
      From: t.bottoni@...
      Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 21:07:33 +0000
      Subject: [William Optics] Re: WO GTF81 Accessories for dummies :)

      Hi Monica,

      You can use the built in Vixen compatible foot of the GTF 81 if you want, or get rings and a Vixen style dovetail. There are some very good threads on the ZEQ25 on Cloudynights and the iOptron Yahoo groups.

      Get a WO dielectric diagonal - either 1.25" or 2" and whatever eyepieces you can afford.

      For the Canon - you will need a WO 2" photo adapter, and a T-Ring. You might also want to get cable shutter release with a timer. The non-Canon ones on Amazon are cheap and work great. Not sure which model works for you yours, but you can look it up to make sure.

      Hope that helps and let us know how it goes.

      Timm

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "monagarliceanu" <amona27@...> wrote:

      > Hello to everybody,
      >
      > I am a (very) beginner amateur astronomer and for now I have more enthusiasm than knowledge and experience.
      >
      > I recently bought a WP GTF81 which is my very first piece of equipment. I did some research and I decided to buy an iOptron ZEQ25 with polar scope. It is a new mount so there are not too many reviews out there. Does anyone have any thoughts on this mount?
      >
      > In order to mount my telescope on it I think I need the WO 90 MM rings, but I am not sure which dovetail to get as there are so many out there. Any thoughts? Is there any other, better mounting option?
      >
      > I will also have to get the diagonal, eyepieces, camera adaptor for my Canon 7D. Can anyone make some recommendation on which would be the most suitable for WO GTF81, in an decent price range?
      >
      > I am planning to use the scope for both viewing and then for astrophotography.
      >
      > Are there any other accessories that are a good idea to have with this scope?
      >
      > Sorry if I sound like a dummy but I guess this is what I am for now. :)
      >
      > Thank you very much in advance.
      >
      > Monica

    • Monica Garliceanu
      Message 2 of 11 , May 5, 2013
        I've been researching and looking around all day yesterday and today and finally I made my decisions and came up with the list of accessories I will get. Here it is:

         - iOptron ZEQ25 Equatorial Mount
        - ADM - Vixen "V" Series Universal Dovetail Plate 7" Long
        - WO 90mm tube rings
        - WO - 2" Carbon Fiber Dielectric Diagonal
        - Explore Scientific 14mm 100° Series Nitrogen-Purged Waterproof Eyepiece (2") - for deep sky observation
        - Tele Vue Plossl 8mm Eyepiece (1.25") - for Moon and planetary observation
        - WO 2" prime Focus Camera Adaptor
        - WO EOS T Ring
        - RF-602 C3 Wireless Remote Shutter release FLash Trigger
        - BackyardEOS software

        I hope this makes sense and if somebody thinks there is something that doesn't, could you please point it out?

        Thanks again for your help. I'll post photos of the set-up when I have everything.

        Monica

        To: William-Optics@yahoogroups.com
        From: t.bottoni@...
        Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 21:07:33 +0000

        Hi Monica,

        You can use the built in Vixen compatible foot of the GTF 81 if you want, or get rings and a Vixen style dovetail. There are some very good threads on the ZEQ25 on Cloudynights and the iOptron Yahoo groups.

        Get a WO dielectric diagonal - either 1.25" or 2" and whatever eyepieces you can afford.

        For the Canon - you will need a WO 2" photo adapter, and a T-Ring. You might also want to get cable shutter release with a timer. The non-Canon ones on Amazon are cheap and work great. Not sure which model works for you yours, but you can look it up to make sure.

        Hope that helps and let us know how it goes.

        Timm

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "monagarliceanu" <amona27@...> wrote:

        > Hello to everybody,
        >
        > I am a (very) beginner amateur astronomer and for now I have more enthusiasm than knowledge and experience.
        >
        > I recently bought a WP GTF81 which is my very first piece of equipment. I did some research and I decided to buy an iOptron ZEQ25 with polar scope. It is a new mount so there are not too many reviews out there. Does anyone have any thoughts on this mount?
        >
        > In order to mount my telescope on it I think I need the WO 90 MM rings, but I am not sure which dovetail to get as there are so many out there. Any thoughts? Is there any other, better mounting option?
        >
        > I will also have to get the diagonal, eyepieces, camera adaptor for my Canon 7D. Can anyone make some recommendation on which would be the most suitable for WO GTF81, in an decent price range?
        >
        > I am planning to use the scope for both viewing and then for astrophotography.
        >
        > Are there any other accessories that are a good idea to have with this scope?
        >
        > Sorry if I sound like a dummy but I guess this is what I am for now. :)
        >
        > Thank you very much in advance.
        >
        > Monica

      • Timm B
        Message 3 of 11 , May 5, 2013
          Hi Monica,

          That sounds like a good setup to start. I would love to hear how you or others like the Canon EOS software, but it might make more sense to talk about it on the Canon DSLR Digital Astro group here - http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Canon_DSLR_Digital_Astro/?yguid=175472659 or on the Digtal Astro group here - both are quite good - http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/digital_astro/?yguid=175472659

          I have the GTF102 and just got the iEQ45 and have used it a whopping 2X now, so if you have questions and want more advice feel free to email me. I'm only a volunteer moderator on this group, but I belong to many other groups, and am just getting started in Astrophotography like you are.

          One more thing I just got and am reading is the Book on CDROM by Jerry Lodriguss called "A Guide to Astrophotography With Digital SLR Cameras". He also has a new beginners version but I think this one is the way to go if you are interested for $39.99.

          Timm

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Monica Garliceanu <amona27@...> wrote:

          > I've been researching and looking around all day yesterday and today and finally I made my decisions and came up with the list of accessories I will get. Here it is:
          > - iOptron ZEQ25 Equatorial Mount
          > - ADM - Vixen "V" Series Universal Dovetail Plate 7" Long
          > - WO 90mm tube rings
          > - WO - 2" Carbon Fiber Dielectric Diagonal
          > - Explore Scientific 14mm 100° Series Nitrogen-Purged Waterproof Eyepiece (2") - for deep sky observation
          > - Tele Vue Plossl 8mm Eyepiece (1.25") - for Moon and planetary observation
          > - WO 2" prime Focus Camera Adaptor
          > - WO EOS T Ring
          > - RF-602 C3 Wireless Remote Shutter release FLash Trigger
          > - BackyardEOS software I hope this makes sense and if somebody thinks there is something that doesn't, could you please point it out? Thanks again for your help. I'll post photos of the set-up when I have everything. Monica
          >
          > To: William-Optics@yahoogroups.com
          > From: t.bottoni@...
          > Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 21:07:33 +0000
          > Subject: [William Optics] Re: WO GTF81 Accessories for dummies :)

          > Hi Monica,
          >

          > You can use the built in Vixen compatible foot of the GTF 81 if you want, or get rings and a Vixen style dovetail. There are some very good threads on the ZEQ25 on Cloudynights and the iOptron Yahoo groups.
          >

          > Get a WO dielectric diagonal - either 1.25" or 2" and whatever eyepieces you can afford.
          >

          > For the Canon - you will need a WO 2" photo adapter, and a T-Ring. You might also want to get cable shutter release with a timer. The non-Canon ones on Amazon are cheap and work great. Not sure which model works for you yours, but you can look it up to make sure.
          >

          > Hope that helps and let us know how it goes.
          >

          > Timm
          >

          > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "monagarliceanu" <amona27@> wrote:
          >

          > > Hello to everybody,
          >

          > > I am a (very) beginner amateur astronomer and for now I have more enthusiasm than knowledge and experience.
          >

          > > I recently bought a WP GTF81 which is my very first piece of equipment. I did some research and I decided to buy an iOptron ZEQ25 with polar scope. It is a new mount so there are not too many reviews out there. Does anyone have any thoughts on this mount?
          >

          > > In order to mount my telescope on it I think I need the WO 90 MM rings, but I am not sure which dovetail to get as there are so many out there. Any thoughts? Is there any other, better mounting option?
          >

          > > I will also have to get the diagonal, eyepieces, camera adaptor for my Canon 7D. Can anyone make some recommendation on which would be the most suitable for WO GTF81, in an decent price range?
          >

          > > I am planning to use the scope for both viewing and then for astrophotography.
          >

          > > Are there any other accessories that are a good idea to have with this scope?
          >

          > > Sorry if I sound like a dummy but I guess this is what I am for now. :)
          >

          > > Thank you very much in advance.
          >

          > > Monica

        • frissenm
          Message 4 of 11 , May 5, 2013
            Hi Monica,

            Excellent list. I love Backyard EOS, even though I'm a mac user.
            I was looking for a new mount and am doubting between the iOptron zeq25 and celestron AVX, so very interested about your experiences once you have it.

            Regarding t-rings, I usually go for cheap unbranded ones, usually found on ebay etc for a few $

            Why the rf602 remote trigger? I went for the JJC TM-C LCD Timer Remote Shutter. Can also be timd, pretty nice for timelapses (if you're into such thing)

            As Timm says, the ebook DSLR photography is a great way to get up to speed. You might want to check out Nebulosity as well. Unfortunately, in astrophotography, shooting photos is only 20% of the work, way more work is done in post..

            Cheers
            Marco
            --
            Sent with Yahoo! Mail for iPad

> [...]

            > > In order to mount my telescope on it I think I need the WO 90 MM rings, but I am not sure which dovetail to get as there are so many out there. Any thoughts? Is there any other, better mounting option?
            >

            > > I will also have to get the diagonal, eyepieces, camera adaptor for my Canon 7D. Can anyone make some recommendation on which would be the most suitable for WO GTF81, in an decent price range?
            >

            > > I am planning to use the scope for both viewing and then for astrophotography.
            >

            > > Are there any other accessories that are a good idea to have with this scope?
            >

            > > Sorry if I sound like a dummy but I guess this is what I am for now. :)

          • Monica Garliceanu
            Message 5 of 11 , May 5, 2013
              Hi Marco and Timm,

              I will have to set up everything all by myself and that will be a little bit of challenge, that's why I decided to go for the same brand (as the telescope)tube rings. This, I hope, it guarantees that they will fit perfectly and although I will pay more $$ I think it will save me some frustration and time (and time is money:).

              The remote shutter is the one thing that I didn't research too much so I went with what I thought it would work. But thanks a lot for the tip, Marco, I will look into that one.

              I will definitely need some guidance for Astrophotography and I will get that ebook. Thanks, Timm.

              I don't expect it to be easy, I take pictures (here on Earth:) and I know there's a lot of work involved. Taking pictures of the sky must be even more difficult.

              Thanks again,

              Monica

              To: William-Optics@yahoogroups.com

> [...]

              > > In order to mount my telescope on it I think I need the WO 90 MM rings, but I am not sure which dovetail to get as there are so many out there. Any thoughts? Is there any other, better mounting option?
              >

              > > I will also have to get the diagonal, eyepieces, camera adaptor for my Canon 7D. Can anyone make some recommendation on which would be the most suitable for WO GTF81, in an decent price range?
              >

              > > I am planning to use the scope for both viewing and then for astrophotography.
              >

              > > Are there any other accessories that are a good idea to have with this scope?
              >

              > > Sorry if I sound like a dummy but I guess this is what I am for now. :)

            • Gianluca Sordiglioni
              Message 6 of 11 , May 6, 2013
                Monica,

                you could buy the UWAN series, the WO 7mm and 16mm. Or consider the Vixen LVW 17 for large field views.
                I own the Megrez 90 f/6.9. For fast grab and go observation, I find the 7.5-22.5mm WO Zoom eyepiece is fantastic. However it suffer from small FoV at 22.5mm (42° only), while enought at 7.5mm (65°).
                For planetary visions I would not suggest a 8mm Plossl. Take *at least* a 7mm.
                Sometimes to see Jupiter I use the UWAN 4mm even thought I think it gives its best on globulars.
                In fact it suffer from parassite lights, and the 82° FoV is not necessary.
                The 14mm 100° is a good choice. You get a higher powered view but with a FoV comparable to a 17mm. However read the CloudyNights website, someone wrote you can't see the whole 100°; someone tested it on a M90 too. Be careful.

                For astrophotogray, the M90 has an evident field curvature. Using the camera adapter only coupled with a DSLR you will be forced to crop your frame a lot because borders are much distorted. Even using the Lens Distortion filter in Photoshop, you can't get soddisfactory results. Best use a field flatterner, even a general purpouse one that sells many dealer (OPT, TeleskopService, and others).

                Take care,
                Gianluca

              • Monica Garliceanu
                Message 7 of 11 , May 14, 2013
                  Hi Gianluca,

                  Thanks for the feedback. I think in time I will get more eyepieces, these are just for start (as I can't afford all of them at once). I tried to select the ones for which I found the most positive reviews. The TV 8mm Plossl was reviewed after testing (along other eyepieces) in a CloudyNights document. And there isn't a 7 or 6 mm on this eyepiece.
                  Anyway, I was looking at a Baader Classic Ortho 6mm - wondering if that is a good choice? I'll have to decide between these two for now.

                  From what I read here on the forum the GTF81 has an built in field flattener and does not need another one. Can anyone confirm this?

                  Thanks again,

                  Monica

                  To: William-Optics@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 15, 2013

                    Monica,

                    I can’t comment on the eyepieces because I only use my GTF-81 got imaging.

                    I only have a few very old eyepieces.

                    As to the Flattener , you are correct you don’t need one because it is built in.

                    Ray

                    Thanks for the feedback. I think in time I will get more eyepieces, these are just for start (as I can't afford all of them at once). I tried to select the ones for which I found the most positive reviews. The TV 8mm Plossl was reviewed after testing (along other eyepieces) in a CloudyNights document. And there isn't a 7 or 6 mm on this eyepiece.
                    Anyway, I was looking at a Baader Classic Ortho 6mm - wondering if that is a good choice? I'll have to decide between these two for now.

                    From what I read here on the forum the GTF81 has an built in field flattener and does not need another one. Can anyone confirm this?

                    Thanks again,

                    Monica

                    To: William-Optics@yahoogroups.com