Re: strange speckles

  • infiniband01
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2013
      Hi Timm
      Thank for your suggestions.
      I will try to remove the dew shield and the entire lens cell as suggested and let you know the results.
      Thanks again,
      A.

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm B" <t.bottoni@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Must be dust of some sort, probably nothing that will damage the glass, but it might be a good idea to use a lens blower (don't use canned air!!!) or a soft cloth or lens cleaner designed for high quality optics. Be careful when cleaning it, don't drop it of course, and don't use anything harsh.
      >
      > You can remove the entire lens cell by unscrewing it and it shouldn't affect anything. I did this years ago when I bought the APOgrade for my 80SD to turn it into an 80FD and even sold the old lens cell to someone interested in it.
      >
      > The focuser also unscrews from the tube in case you want to blow out the dust that might be falling onto the lens.
      >
      > Do you know how to remove the dew shield? I'm not positive on that model (most are the same), but I think the main white part unscrews from the gold ring, and then you can slide it off revealing the collimatable lens cell.
      >
      > Let me know if you need more help.
      >
      > Timm
      >
      > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "infiniband01" <alexconte@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all
      > > I'm new to this group and, actually, I.m new to the W.O. world as I've always used reflectors. I've just become an owner of a FLT 110 with the TMB design triplet got as a second hand OTA from another amateur liike me. The OTA arrived fine but after having moved it for installing the dovetail bar and a finder I noticed that some speckles started to appear on what seems to be the inner tube lens surface. I've checked the tube and seems clean but,neverthless, each time I move the OTA the speckles increase. A picture can be found here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/William-Optics/photos/album/1185964082/pic/364816576/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc
      > > I'd like to know if someone else has experienced such strangeness and if carefully removing the lens cell, cleaning and putting the cell back could affect the collimation ( I've performed some hardware "maintenance" on SCT's but never on refractors and triplets :) ).
      > > Many thanks to all of you.
      > > All the best,
      > > Alessandro

    • infiniband01
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2013
        Ok, lens been cleaned. Here the results:

        Everything has gone smooth: no problems at all. I've found that the dust was made by tiny paint or aluminum particles dropping over the inner lens from the tube thread as the lens cell was slightly unscrewed. I think that rotating counter clockwise the dew shield when pulling it out can unscrew the cell but, luckily, the solution is simple: rotate the dew shield clockwise, when extending it :)

        Now, let's wait a clear night to test the new telescope :)

        All the best,

        > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm B" <t.bottoni@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > Must be dust of some sort, probably nothing that will damage the glass, but it might be a good idea to use a lens blower (don't use canned air!!!) or a soft cloth or lens cleaner designed for high quality optics. Be careful when cleaning it, don't drop it of course, and don't use anything harsh.
        > >
        > > You can remove the entire lens cell by unscrewing it and it shouldn't affect anything. I did this years ago when I bought the APOgrade for my 80SD to turn it into an 80FD and even sold the old lens cell to someone interested in it.
        > >
        > > The focuser also unscrews from the tube in case you want to blow out the dust that might be falling onto the lens.
        > >
        > > Do you know how to remove the dew shield? I'm not positive on that model (most are the same), but I think the main white part unscrews from the gold ring, and then you can slide it off revealing the collimatable lens cell.
        > >
        > > Let me know if you need more help.
        > >
        > > Timm
        > >
        > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "infiniband01" <alexconte@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi all
        > > > I'm new to this group and, actually, I.m new to the W.O. world as I've always used reflectors. I've just become an owner of a FLT 110 with the TMB design triplet got as a second hand OTA from another amateur liike me. The OTA arrived fine but after having moved it for installing the dovetail bar and a finder I noticed that some speckles started to appear on what seems to be the inner tube lens surface. I've checked the tube and seems clean but,neverthless, each time I move the OTA the speckles increase. A picture can be found here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/William-Optics/photos/album/1185964082/pic/364816576/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc
        > > > I'd like to know if someone else has experienced such strangeness and if carefully removing the lens cell, cleaning and putting the cell back could affect the collimation ( I've performed some hardware "maintenance" on SCT's but never on refractors and triplets :) ).
        > > > Many thanks to all of you.
        > > > All the best,
        > > > Alessandro

      • Timm B
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2013
          Hi

          Glad you found it to be easy and glad you are ready to go now.