Re: SBIG 2000xcm slipping on back of ZS 80mm

  • ¢Ý¢ø¢ü¢ñ¢ë
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 26, 2013
      Hi Mike,

      The latest Focuser from 102 and 81 GTF R&P focuser has no more play or shift and it very good with heavy loading, let me know your address that I will send you soon, if you are not like it you can return for 100% refund, and also I will pay for both way shipping too.

      Thank you very much.

      William

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "lovechina61" <lovechina61@...> wrote:

      > I have an older model ZS 80mm that I have mounted piggyback on my LX200. The ZS 80mm's long focusing tube just slides way out backwards when I point the scope towards the zenith. Luckily, there is a catch which prevents the focusing tube and camera from falling to the ground.
      >
      > I have tightened the small tension screw as much as tightly as possible but it just keeps happening. Perhaps I can bore out the original tiny tension screw and then put a more heavy duty screw in its place? But then I would have to carefully weigh just how much to tighten it cause I don't want the focusing tube to continue sliding yet I also want to make sure the focusing tube has a little freeplay in it so that my Rigel focusing motor can still budge it along during its focusing routine.
      >
      > What are some other options (besides getting an entirely new scope)? Have some of you been able to lock the focusing tube into place but then mount another adjustable focuser to the back of the refractor? If so, please let me know what focusers you are using. Of course, whatever focuser I use needs to be strong enough to handle the weight of my SBIG 2000xcm without slipping even when I am pointed at the zenith.
      >
      > Mike

    • wfbogardus
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 27, 2013
        This looks like a worthwhile offer.  I haven't encountered any problems but if I had, I'd take William up on this.

        > The latest Focuser from 102 and 81 GTF R&P focuser has no more
        > play or shift and it very good with heavy loading, let me know
        > your address that I will send you soon, if you are not like it
        > you can return for 100% refund, and also I will pay for both way
        > shipping too.
        >
        > Thank you very much.
        >
        > William
        >
        > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "lovechina61"
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I have an older model ZS 80mm that I have mounted piggyback on
        > my LX200. The ZS 80mm's long focusing tube just slides way out
        > backwards when I point the scope towards the zenith. Luckily,
        > there is a catch which prevents the focusing tube and camera
        > from falling to the ground.
        > >
        > > I have tightened the small tension screw as much as tightly as
        > possible but it just keeps happening. Perhaps I can bore out the
        > original tiny tension screw and then put a more heavy duty screw
        > in its place? But then I would have to carefully weigh just how
        > much to tighten it cause I don't want the focusing tube to
        > continue sliding yet I also want to make sure the focusing tube
        > has a little freeplay in it so that my Rigel focusing motor can
        > still budge it along during its focusing routine.
        > >
        > > What are some other options (besides getting an entirely new
        > scope)? Have some of you been able to lock the focusing tube
        > into place but then mount another adjustable focuser to the back
        > of the refractor? If so, please let me know what focusers you
        > are using. Of course, whatever focuser I use needs to be strong
        > enough to handle the weight of my SBIG 2000xcm without slipping
        > even when I am pointed at the zenith.
        > >
        > > Mike

      • lovechina61
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 27, 2013
          William,

          Thank you for the offer. I am awaiting a response back from Rigel Systems on whether or not they can make an adapter for their electronic focuser that can fit your newer model R&P focuser. That would be great!

          Mike

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, ¢Ý¢ø¢ü¢ñ¢ë¢û <williamoptics2004@...> wrote:

          > Hi Mike,
          >
          > The latest Focuser from 102 and 81 GTF R&P focuser has no more play or shift and it very good with heavy loading, let me know your address that I will send you soon, if you are not like it you can return for 100% refund, and also I will pay for both way shipping too.
          >
          > Thank you very much.
          >
          > William
          >
          > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "lovechina61" <lovechina61@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have an older model ZS 80mm that I have mounted piggyback on my LX200. The ZS 80mm's long focusing tube just slides way out backwards when I point the scope towards the zenith. Luckily, there is a catch which prevents the focusing tube and camera from falling to the ground.
          > >
          > > I have tightened the small tension screw as much as tightly as possible but it just keeps happening. Perhaps I can bore out the original tiny tension screw and then put a more heavy duty screw in its place? But then I would have to carefully weigh just how much to tighten it cause I don't want the focusing tube to continue sliding yet I also want to make sure the focusing tube has a little freeplay in it so that my Rigel focusing motor can still budge it along during its focusing routine.
          > >
          > > What are some other options (besides getting an entirely new scope)? Have some of you been able to lock the focusing tube into place but then mount another adjustable focuser to the back of the refractor? If so, please let me know what focusers you are using. Of course, whatever focuser I use needs to be strong enough to handle the weight of my SBIG 2000xcm without slipping even when I am pointed at the zenith.
          > >
          > > Mike

        • lovechina61
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 27, 2013
            William,

            While I am waiting back for an answer from Rigel Systems, can you please let me know what focal reducer (flat fielder) you recommend that I use with this older model ZS 80mm and my SBIG 2000XCM camera that has a 11.8mm x 8.9mm chip? Will the older FF88 flattener that I already have work well on my scope with the new R&P focuser and will I be able to bring my images nicely into focus?

            Thanks! Mike

            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, ¢Ý¢ø¢ü¢ñ¢ë¢û <williamoptics2004@...> wrote:

            > Hi Mike,
            >
            > The latest Focuser from 102 and 81 GTF R&P focuser has no more play or shift and it very good with heavy loading, let me know your address that I will send you soon, if you are not like it you can return for 100% refund, and also I will pay for both way shipping too.
            >
            > Thank you very much.
            >
            > William
            >
            > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "lovechina61" <lovechina61@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I have an older model ZS 80mm that I have mounted piggyback on my LX200. The ZS 80mm's long focusing tube just slides way out backwards when I point the scope towards the zenith. Luckily, there is a catch which prevents the focusing tube and camera from falling to the ground.
            > >
            > > I have tightened the small tension screw as much as tightly as possible but it just keeps happening. Perhaps I can bore out the original tiny tension screw and then put a more heavy duty screw in its place? But then I would have to carefully weigh just how much to tighten it cause I don't want the focusing tube to continue sliding yet I also want to make sure the focusing tube has a little freeplay in it so that my Rigel focusing motor can still budge it along during its focusing routine.
            > >
            > > What are some other options (besides getting an entirely new scope)? Have some of you been able to lock the focusing tube into place but then mount another adjustable focuser to the back of the refractor? If so, please let me know what focusers you are using. Of course, whatever focuser I use needs to be strong enough to handle the weight of my SBIG 2000xcm without slipping even when I am pointed at the zenith.
            > >
            > > Mike

          • ¢Ý¢ø¢ü¢ñ¢ë
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 28, 2013
              Hi Mike,

              The flattener 4 ishould be the best for Z80 and the new Flattener 6 is also good but less perfect than flattener 4.

              William

              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "lovechina61" <lovechina61@...> wrote:

              > William,
              >
              > While I am waiting back for an answer from Rigel Systems, can you please let me know what focal reducer (flat fielder) you recommend that I use with this older model ZS 80mm and my SBIG 2000XCM camera that has a 11.8mm x 8.9mm chip? Will the older FF88 flattener that I already have work well on my scope with the new R&P focuser and will I be able to bring my images nicely into focus?
              >
              > Thanks! Mike
              >

              > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, ¢Ý¢ø¢ü¢ñ¢ë¢û <williamoptics2004@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Mike,
              > >
              > > The latest Focuser from 102 and 81 GTF R&P focuser has no more play or shift and it very good with heavy loading, let me know your address that I will send you soon, if you are not like it you can return for 100% refund, and also I will pay for both way shipping too.
              > >
              > > Thank you very much.
              > >
              > > William
              > >
              > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "lovechina61" <lovechina61@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I have an older model ZS 80mm that I have mounted piggyback on my LX200. The ZS 80mm's long focusing tube just slides way out backwards when I point the scope towards the zenith. Luckily, there is a catch which prevents the focusing tube and camera from falling to the ground.
              > > >
              > > > I have tightened the small tension screw as much as tightly as possible but it just keeps happening. Perhaps I can bore out the original tiny tension screw and then put a more heavy duty screw in its place? But then I would have to carefully weigh just how much to tighten it cause I don't want the focusing tube to continue sliding yet I also want to make sure the focusing tube has a little freeplay in it so that my Rigel focusing motor can still budge it along during its focusing routine.
              > > >
              > > > What are some other options (besides getting an entirely new scope)? Have some of you been able to lock the focusing tube into place but then mount another adjustable focuser to the back of the refractor? If so, please let me know what focusers you are using. Of course, whatever focuser I use needs to be strong enough to handle the weight of my SBIG 2000xcm without slipping even when I am pointed at the zenith.
              > > >
              > > > Mike

            • jtorelli76063
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 29, 2013
                I am having the same problem with my ZII80 and st8300m. I have small bungees wrapped all over this thing to keep the focuser from slipping.
                I would also be interested in the R&P without the DDG and the Flattener 4. I don't see the flattener 4 on the web site. How much does it cost?
                Please contact me off list:
                josephtorelli@...

                Thanks
                JoeT

              • ka4gbr@bellsouth.net
                Message 7 of 17 , May 8 4:18 PM
                  Hi All,

                  William was nice enough to upgrade my focuser for free.
                  Thanks William.
                  The upgraded focuser has zero image shift and holds the weight
                  of the telescope with no problem.
                  Took it out last night and took 2 hours of Luminance of Markarians Chain with my GTF-81. Had to use an IDAS filter because I live in a White zone.

                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/rayhurst_photos/8720915051/in/photostream

                  --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, ka4gbr <ka4gbr@...> wrote:

                  > I have a GTF-81 scope.
                  > I am thinking about replacing it with a feathertouch focuser if they have an
                  > adapter for it.
                  > The DDG focuser can hold the weight ok but it has some focuser shift when
                  > focusing.
                  >
                  > Ray

                • Timm B
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 8 5:17 PM
                    Very nice - awesome pic and glad the focuser replacement worked out for you

                    Timm