FLT98 vs. GTF102?

  • RobO
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 23, 2013
      Looking at these two scopes, the price of the FLT98 is considerably more that that of the GTF102.
      Considering the GTF102 is slightly larger aperture and has built in field flattener, I find this very surprising.

      Are the optics on the FLT98 that much better or superior?

      Just curious.

      Rob
    • Timm B
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 23, 2013
        Hi Rob,

        The FLT98 has a faster focal ratio and the production costs are higher due to the glass needed in the design, and in the execution of the production. The GTF102 I have is extremely nice! I hope to be able to start trying some astrophotography soon, and I will be writing a full review to publish here and on CloudyNights.com

        Take care - feel free to ask more questions!

        Timm

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "RobO" <albireo13@...> wrote:

        > Looking at these two scopes, the price of the FLT98 is considerably more that that of the GTF102.
        > Considering the GTF102 is slightly larger aperture and has built in field flattener, I find this very surprising.
        >
        > Are the optics on the FLT98 that much better or superior?
        >
        > Just curious.
        >
        > Rob

      • RobO
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 24, 2013
          One thing I've heard is that the optics for the FLT98 are supplied by Astreya, from Russia.

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm B" <t.bottoni@...> wrote:

          > Hi Rob,
          >
          > The FLT98 has a faster focal ratio and the production costs are higher due to the glass needed in the design, and in the execution of the production. The GTF102 I have is extremely nice! I hope to be able to start trying some astrophotography soon, and I will be writing a full review to publish here and on CloudyNights.com
          >
          > Take care - feel free to ask more questions!
          >
          > Timm
          >
          > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "RobO" <albireo13@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Looking at these two scopes, the price of the FLT98 is considerably more that that of the GTF102.
          > > Considering the GTF102 is slightly larger aperture and has built in field flattener, I find this very surprising.
          > >
          > > Are the optics on the FLT98 that much better or superior?
          > >
          > > Just curious.
          > >
          > > Rob

        • Timm B
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 24, 2013
            Could be, I don't know, but I remember the designer was the Russian optical designer from there.