[William Optics] Re: FLT110 focus wobble

  • Timm B
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 31, 2013
      Ray,

      The 2 silver screws probably shouldn't need to be tightened.

      Mine has wobble NOT because of the focuser tube, but the entire focuser on the rotation base. Can you try something for me?

      Loosen the silver thumbscrew that locks the focuser rotation. Does it now wobble more? If so, see how loose the three nylon black screws are and try to carefully tighten them to see if the wobble goes away. Once mine were tight, it didn't wobble, but then it doesn't rotation smoothly, so here is what I did.

      Remove the silver thumbscrew that locks the focuser rotation. Remove all three of the nylon black screws. Remove the focuser. Apply a thin layer of high quality white lithium grease to the retaining ring. Reassemble, and tighten the nylon screws enough so there is no wobble, and it still is able to rotate.

      This is what worked for me, let me know if it works for you.

      I can provide a detailed adjustment procedure as well if you like, but it really is just the tension screw on the bottom, the bottom tension lock, and the 2 silver extra tension screws that can be adjusted. I can explain more about how the focuser works if you like.

      And Happy Easter!

      Timm

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Hurst" <ka4gbr@...> wrote:

      > I guess all focusers wobble to some degree.
      >
      > I thinks it's better to use an extender so the focuser doesn't extend more
      > than half way out.
      >
      > This will give it more stability.
      >
      > Maybe I am spoiled with feathertouch focusers.
      >
      > Is there a detailed adjustment procedure for the DDG focuser?
      >
      > It seems that the 2 silver screws on the side must have a sweet spot where
      >
      > It isn't too loose or too tight.
      >

      > Ray

    • Ray Hurst
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 31, 2013

        Timm,

        Thanks for the reply.

        I did all these adjustments when I first got the scope.

        That’s when I decided to use the extender.

        It seems to work fine for the imaging that I do.

        The only other thing I did was to remove the foot and add a set of rings.

        Just feel safer with the rings.

      • Timm B
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2013
          Hi Ray,

          The rings are safer, and more solid in my opinion. Wise decision!