New DDG Rack and Pinion Focuser on GTF 102 is FANTASTIC

  • Timm B
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 17, 2013
      Hi all

      For anyone interested in the new rack and pinion focuser performance, here is an update on my testing.

      I tested it outside in cold temps, well below freezing, with diagonals and eyepieces, and with my Canon 60D DSLR - it performed flawlessly.

      I rigged up a tube to hang 5 lb weights on. Inside I tested it first with 5 lbs - perfect. Then 10 lbs, still perfect. 15 lbs, it can lift the weight, but it will unwind unless I lock it, or tighten the tension.

      But wow - this is a real winner of a focuser.

      I will keep testing it, hopefully with some observing soon, and let you know if it holds up, but I am REALLY impressed.

      Good job WO - you listened to everyone's issues with focusers and really came up with an awesome design.

      Timm
    • Ray Hurst
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 18, 2013

        Hey Timm,

        The Focuser on my GTF81 seems very good.

        I use an SBIG 8300 and QHY filter wheel.

        I weighs about 4 pounds and I don’t lock the focuser.

        The only thing I wish William Optics would do is supply all three thumb screws on the focuser.

        Mine only has 2 and the third one is a set screw.

        Ray

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 18, 2013
          Hi Ray,

          I'm assuming you're referring to the screws that tighten the compression ring. Good point. I'm not sure why that would help. Do you think it would? What would the extra thumbscrew allow you to do that you can't now?

          Sorry for so many questions but I want to help you communicate to WO any suggestions since they seem to be very interested in ideas and I customer feedback

          Timm

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Hurst" <ka4gbr@...> wrote:

          > Hey Timm,
          >
          > The Focuser on my GTF81 seems very good.
          >
          > I use an SBIG 8300 and QHY filter wheel.
          >
          > I weighs about 4 pounds and I don't lock the focuser.
          >

          > The only thing I wish William Optics would do is supply all three thumb
          > screws on the focuser.
          >
          > Mine only has 2 and the third one is a set screw.
          >

          > Ray

        • ka4gbr
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 18, 2013
            It probably wouldn't make a big difference since the bottom set screw can be adjusted and then left alone.

            I guess I am spoiled because my other 2 focusers have all 3 thumb screws.

            I'm assuming you're referring to the screws that tighten the compression ring. Good point. I'm not sure why that would help. Do you think it would? What would the extra thumbscrew allow you to do that you can't now?

            Sorry for so many questions but I want to help you communicate to WO any suggestions since they seem to be very interested in ideas and I customer feedback

            Timm

            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Hurst" <ka4gbr@...> wrote:

            > Hey Timm,
            >
            > The Focuser on my GTF81 seems very good.
            >
            > I use an SBIG 8300 and QHY filter wheel.
            >
            > I weighs about 4 pounds and I don't lock the focuser.
            >

            > The only thing I wish William Optics would do is supply all three thumb
            > screws on the focuser.
            >
            > Mine only has 2 and the third one is a set screw.
            >

            > Ray

          • Timm B
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 18, 2013
              Agreed - I'm not sure it really matters either. More of a cosmetic thing, I think, since it would look symmetrical with 3 thrumbscrews.

              I took out the set screw (its metal and has a small slotted end) and was able to use one of the other two thumbscrews, so it is threaded the same as the others. The one in the 1.25" adapter is a smaller thread, and longer thumbscrew so you couldn't just hijack that one. I think if you wanted one to replace the set screw you would have to ask WO, or simply bring one into Lowes, Home Depot, etc and match it up. They sell all sorts of those types of things in metric and english threads, and they have a board to try it in that tells you the correct thread size. Probably costs about $3.

              WO is always willing to listen to suggestions, so if anyone has any, please let me know. I can get them to William via email.

              Thanks!

              Timm

              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, ka4gbr <ka4gbr@...> wrote:

              > It probably wouldn't make a big difference since the bottom set screw can be
              > adjusted and then left alone.
              >
              > I guess I am spoiled because my other 2 focusers have all 3 thumb screws.

            • ¢Ý¢ø¢ü¢ñ¢ë
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 25, 2013
                Hi Ray,
                The current 2" focuser holder already has 3 screw holes for thumb screw (120 degree apart)

                we can provide an extra thumb screws at your request.

                all you need is inform me the shipping address and pay for air mail shipping fee (around $5)
                we ship from Taiwan.

                Thank you

                William