FLT focuser

  • kwalker walker
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 8, 2013
      Hello
      I was hoping you would drop in to comment on the focuser issue.
      I purchased the FLT98ddg from OPT a few months ago and the focuser has issues lifting my Cannon EOS 60da.
      makes it nearly impossible to get a sharp focus.
      If there is a fix without sending this in for repairs ,that would be outstanding.
      Other than that ,I love the scope.
      here's my last image from the light polluted city skies with the FLT 98

      Ken Walker
      light-BINNING_11

    • MICHAEL CHASTNEY
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 8, 2013
        Hi Ken ,nice image!!

        Mike As regards focuser issues,the std focusers are very straight forward in terms of engineering,built with being able to be stripped/rebuilt in the field in mind .

        As for a bearing collapse ,it makes sense after replacing faulty bearing (easily available), to keep a set in reserve.

        If anybody finds it difficult getting hold of bearings, you can obtain a bearing plate incl 4 bearings from W/O direct for about $40, last time ibought a set!

        When dismantelling focuser and rebuilding unit do your adjustments equally and with very small increments in tension and you will find after a few tries you will be able to achieve a good result. Time  and patience pays dividends.

        That said a Feathertouch cannot be be bettered and would be a prerequisite if i was to replace either of my W/O scopes.

        If you contact William direct he will i`m sure offer a good deal/exchange for your original unit against a feathertouch which they can supply.

        I have found W/O as a company to be very pro-active as regards  customer satisfaction.

        Best of luck with the choice.

        Regard

        Mike

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 8, 2013
          Thanks Mike
          Glad you like it.
          by the way the image was taken during the 3/4 moon phase.

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 9, 2013
            Ken,

            That is a very nice image. What mount do you use?

            WO asked me to return my focuser to them for repair. They said they will replace the drawtube with a new design that should have 3X the grip and thus should not slip. Although I think I may have bearing issues with it as well. Presumably, they will repair it completely. When I get it back, I'll have to evaluate it and see if I can avoid spending several hundred dollars on a Moonlite or Feathertouch focuser.

            Stan
          • kwalker247501
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 9, 2013
              Hi Stan
              Thanks
              I use a self hypertuned CGEM.
              I'm also opting for the focuser repair.
              can't see spending money for a different focuser.
              I like the DDG

              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Stan McQueen wrote:

              > Ken,
              >
              > That is a very nice image. What mount do you use?
              >
              > WO asked me to return my focuser to them for repair. They said they will
              > replace the drawtube with a new design that should have 3X the grip and
              > thus should not slip. Although I think I may have bearing issues with it as
              > well. Presumably, they will repair it completely. When I get it back, I'll
              > have to evaluate it and see if I can avoid spending several hundred dollars
              > on a Moonlite or Feathertouch focuser.
              >
              > Stan

            • Stan McQueen
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 9, 2013
                I also have a CGEM. Have had it since late fall last year. Did you hypertune yours with the kit from Deep Space Products? Was it difficult to do?

                I'm really brand new to this "sport" and am always looking for pointers. I'm planning to use an Orion ST80 with Orion SSAG for guiding if I can every get the other equipment working and if the skies ever clear up here!

                Stan
              • kwalker247501
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 9, 2013
                  The CGEM is a good entry level mount(I just make it work for me)
                  The Hypertune is not all that complicated but there are a few things that will give you a hard time.
                  The kit from DSP will include the dvd which will walk you through it.
                  The only thing I will warn against is that if your not familiar with Aluminum and screws ,I would advise you to have Ed do it for you.
                  The cheap Aluminum casting tends to leave the threads on the screws (even during dissasembly) ,and some can be a bear if they strip.
                  If you do tackle the job ,just take your time and all will be good :)
                  heli coils are cheap if you get into trouble.
                  I use the 50mm mini guider to keep the weight down.
                  After you get balance and guiding down the CGEM can do 30 to 45 minute subs consitently .
                  I would find someone to show you how to drift align although the ASPA routine works great.
                  60 minute subs are possible ,but the mount suffers a bug that Celestron is aware of in the Declination guiding.
                  It has been called cogging.
                  In a nut shell when the guide star finally drifts enough that DEC corrections are needed it will stop guiding in DEC and even walk the motor backward …..then bang….it overshoots ….then guides out for another hour to an hour and a half.
                  I keep my subs to 10 minutes and find the brightest guide star(not to bright)and turn the guide camera down to .5 to 1 sec.
                  Keeps the DEC from overshooting when it does have this cogging issue
                  Hope the skies clear for you.
                  Ken