Re: [William Optics] Trouble with focuser

  • Mike Tapper
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 7, 2013
      Stan,

      I have an older FLT 110 non-DDG focuser. I had similar issues. Since there were several different focuser types used over the years I can't say whether mine is like yours (minus the DDG) but in my case I had a cracked roller bearing on one of the 4 guide rollers. They are not that difficult to replace if you can find the part. Mine was a metric 9mm OD, 3mm ID and 5mm thick bearing.

      If the roller bearing is the problem, measure it, and try Boca Bearings in Florida for a replacement. That's were I found mine. Other bearing suppliers may also it. The bearings are precision metric bearings.

      Good luck,
      Mike T
    • Stan McQueen
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 7, 2013
        Thanks, Mike. A cracked or broken bearing is sure what it sounds like it might be. Working on it again this morning, I can't even get the tube to pull past a certain point. It certainly feels as though something is jamming it. Does anyone from WilliamOptics monitor this forum?

        Stan
      • Adrien
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 7, 2013

          Hello

          I replaced the whole focusing assembly with a Feathertouch FTF3035B-A.

          Complete with their “focus boss” system .. Perfect match…

          Adrien

          Thanks, Mike. A cracked or broken bearing is sure what it sounds like it might be. Working on it again this morning, I can't even get the tube to pull past a certain point. It certainly feels as though something is jamming it. Does anyone from WilliamOptics monitor this forum?

          Stan

        • eric
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 7, 2013
            Crayford DDG focuses on WO have been found to be wanting. the focuser on my GT-81 soon developed a similar problem to the one you are experiencing. I exchanged the Crawford for the new rack & pinion from WO and have not experienced any further problems.

            Regards

            Eric Emms
            @EmmsStarGaze
            WO GT-81

            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Stan" wrote:

            > Tonight I started having trouble with the focuser on my month-old FLT 110. No matter how I adjust the tension setting, the focus tube doesn't move unless I apply pressure. If I completely loosen the tension, then gradually tighten it, I can get a little movement, then it stops after a few mm. If I pull (or push, depending on the direction I'm trying to move it), it will move, but nowhere near smoothly enough to focus for viewing or photo purposes.
            >
            > Are there known issues with these DDG focusers which mean I should just replace it with a third-party focuser, or is there some other adjustment I can make? Has anybody else had similar issues?
            >
            > Stan

          • Mike Tapper
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 7, 2013
              Adrien,

              Thanks for that info. Even though I fixed the bearing issue with my FLT 110 focuser, there seems to be a problem with the ability of this focuser to handle a 4 lbs. imaging train. I'm having off axis issues which appears to be focuser related. If others are having or have had this experience I'd like to hear from them about how they dealt with it.

              At first I suspected a collimation issue (it's the TMB triplet version of the 110) but the distorted star image rotates with the camera, so it seems to be focuser sag. To reach focus I have to use a 2" extension tube which is just held in by a small compression fitting. I think that's the weak link, but don't know of a screw type fitting for both the scope and camera. If anyone does, I'd like to know of it.

              Mike T
            • Stan McQueen
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 7, 2013
                Thanks for the info about the Feathertouch focuser. From what I'm hearing here, that may be a good way to go. I just hate to spend almost as much for the focuser as I did for the scope! But that may be my only choice.

                Stan
              • Dan Mitchell
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 7, 2013
                  I would go the Feathertouch route also.
                  I have a WO 132 and finally replaced the focuser with a Feathertouch and its a great addition to an other wise good scope.
                  Well worth the investment , WO should offer them on all there new scopes.

                  "EveryDay is Like a Friday"

                  Dan
                • Adrien
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 7, 2013

                    Hello Mike

                    I have sent some pictures to a new folder called “Adriens FLT 110” . I should say that the only camera combination I have at the moment is the FLI ML 16803 and the 5-7 filter wheel and It’s very heavy.  I learnt about the feathertouch focusers as I previously owned a TEC APO 140 that has the 3545 focuser as standard, and as I found out, the focuser is a solid as a rock. I did also own a TAK FSQ-106 that had Focuser issues with this camera payload, and due to the very high price of the telescope, decided to sell. Now I have the WO FLT 110 as a portable scope with the feathertouch focuser, and handles the camera payload with no problems. I will say though that I will be replacing the camera  with a type that has smaller pixels. 9 micron pixels of the 16803 is too big for this scope. Plus the 4096 X 4096 chip is much too big. This camera is actually for a 14” scope I have. All my connections are screw in type. I can perhaps offer more info off-line.

                    I hope this has helped Mike

                    Regards

                    Adrien

                      Thanks for that info. Even though I fixed the bearing issue with my FLT 110 focuser, there seems to be a problem with the ability of this focuser to handle a 4 lbs. imaging train. I'm having off axis issues which appears to be focuser related. If others are having or have had this experience I'd like to hear from them about how they dealt with it.

                      At first I suspected a collimation issue (it's the TMB triplet version of the 110) but the distorted star image rotates with the camera, so it seems to be focuser sag. To reach focus I have to use a 2" extension tube which is just held in by a small compression fitting. I think that's the weak link, but don't know of a screw type fitting for both the scope and camera. If anyone does, I'd like to know of it.

                      Mike T

                    • ¢Ý¢ø¢ü¢ñ¢ë
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 8, 2013
                        Hi Stan,

                        I have good solution to fix your focuser please contact me at Williamoptics@.... Any one who has the FLT focuser slip problem
                        Please contact me anytime.

                        William

                        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Stan McQueen wrote:

                        > Thanks for the info about the Feathertouch focuser. From what I'm hearing
                        > here, that may be a good way to go. I just hate to spend almost as much for
                        > the focuser as I did for the scope! But that may be my only choice.
                        >
                        > Stan

                      • Mike Tapper
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 8, 2013
                          Adrien,

                          I misspoke when I said that the distorted stars rotated when the camera was rotated. Further study of the images showed that the stars did not rotated, but stayed in same orientation . Since I'm spatially challenged I don't know what to make of this finding. (optics, focuser, etc?)

                          I'd be very interested to learn of  the type of screw on connections you are using as the compression fittings on the 2" extension tube I'm using are not a good approach. Changing to screw on fittings would help eliminate one variable in the equation.

                          Regards,
                          Mike T
                        • notgnirramot
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 8, 2013
                            Moonlite makes very nice Focusers as well and they are not as pricy as the Feathertouch. I have one on my 80mm Megrez and love it. The Focuser on my FLT 110 Lite version is adequate so I've not yet upgraded it to a Moonlite, but that will happen soon.

                            Good luck whichever way you go.

                            Moonlite can be found here.

                            http://www.focuser.com/

                            Tom