Re: What can you see with a Zenithstar 80 APO?

  • Gianluca Sordiglioni
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2013
      You have Zenithstar 80 wich uses FLT51 glasses, I have a Megrez 90 with the better 53 type. However under dark skies in Orion you can clearly see all the nebula using a 24mm circa low-power eyepiece (impossible on large dobson!).
      Or you can zoom-in to see the 4-stars deep inside the nebula, sometimes you can see six of them under excellent seeing (1-2 times per year).
      Or you can mid-zoom to appreciate the tiny filaments in M42 as white soft clouds, or wings of a seagull. You can lost yourself for hours trying to follow all the shapes.
      On Jupiter I counted 9 colored band. Some people called me crazy, but on anĀ  apo well built (and seeing) it is possible.
      On Saturn you clearly distinguish Cassini division, the Enke with difficulty but still visible.
      The 4mm WO eyepiece is even enouhgt to split double stars, Mintaka for example, or sigma orionis.
      Enjoy yourself !

    • jtorelli76063
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2013
        I have a Z-80 and it is a very nice scope. I have it mounted on top of my LX200-12 classic. I use it as my wide field scope. It has very good optics and the dual speed focuser is very smooth. I mainly image thru this scope. With a barlow I use it as a guider scope for the SCT.
        Looking thru it with a 26mm ep gives very wide view. This will make the planets look small but gives great views of DSO's like M42.
        If I have guests over I like to show them the view of the same object thru both scopes. It gives them a better understanding of what they are seeing.

        JoeT

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "steve_honeybun" wrote:

        > Hi! I know this sounds like a dumb question but please bear with me. I'm new to Astronomy and I've not had the chance to look through this size refractor yet as the people in my group have larger reflectors. However, For practical reasons I'd really like to get a Zenithstar; it's portable, doesn't take up a lot of storage space and has a reputation for good optics. But what exactly can I reasonably expect to see? For example, if I look at the Orion nebula will I see a beautiful full frame image (I know it's wishful thinking but I can dream) or will I see a fuzzy blob in one area of the field? Thanks for your help!

      • steve_honeybun
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 20, 2013
          Hi!

          I just wanted to thank you all for your help. I bought the ZenithStar 80 with a set of SPL eyepieces and put it on a CG5 mount and I have to say I'm completely blown away.

          We had a BBC Stargazing live event with my local group last weekend and everyone commented on how good the optics are. Most people just said 'Wow!!' and then crowded me off my scope. It brings a grin to my face just thinking about it.

          Once again, Thank You and Thank You Williams Optics for making such a great telescope.

          Steve