Re: What can you see with a Zenithstar 80 APO?

  • H P
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2013
      Hey Steve,

      And welcome to astronomy, one of the most rewarding avocational pastimes there is!

      No question is dumb in you are a "newbie," as we all were once.

      Where you control your field-of-view (aka "FOV") is with the eyepiece you put in the scope to look through.

      The magnification of a refractor telescope is this:

      focal length of scope (mm)/focal length of eyepiece (mm)

      Note I did not mention the diameter of anything, just focal length.

      If your interest is in the Zenethstar 80ED II APO, then its focal length (aka "FL") is 545mm. The manufacturer of a scope will give that info.

      Eyepieces (aka "EPs") come in all sizes of focal length.

      For example, if you used a 20mm in that scope, its magnification would be 545/20, or 27X. However, if you went to a 10mm FL EP (see how you're already catchin' on??!!), then the mag would be 54X.

      The area of the field of view will DECREASE as the magnification INCREASES!! So, if you want to observe a wide field of view, like all of Orion, use a large FL EP. Conversely, for a narrow FOV, like the great nebula in Orion,use a smaller FL EP.

      Eyepieces also come in zoom models, one of the most popular sizes being a single EP that zooms from 24mm FL (wider FOV) down to 8mm FL (more narrow FOV). So, it would be called an "8-24mm zoom EP."

      When you see single FL (or "prime") EPs advertised, what you'll see is their FL in mm. That's the most important consideration when buying one, or its weight might be a factor to some viewers. And most folks use the 1.25 inch EPs in their scopes by putting a 2" to 1.25" adapter in whatever 2" diagonal is being used. This may sound complicated, but give the focuser end of the scope a look.

      The focuser tube, the thing that moves back and forth to get focus on the object being observed, most usually has a 2" diameter ID on the end where the diagonal would go. The 2" to 1.25" adapter in the diagonal (or directly into the end of the focuser tube) allows you to use 1.25 EPs in the scope. (The barrel of the EP that goes into the adapter has a 1.25" OD, so that's what they are called!!). OR one could put the adapter DIRECTLY into the focuser tube. Generally, tho, a diagonal is used to keep the calisthenics to a minimum!!

      Another important factor is an EP's "eye relief." But the foregoing is more than enough for you to digest for now. Keep reading and searching the internet for info. There is HEAPS out there for beginners. And keep asking questions you can't find the answers to.

      See if you can find info on what the "eye relief" of an EP means. That's very important if one wears glasses.

      I wish you well, and

      Better skies,

      Perry

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "steve_honeybun" wrote:

      > Hi! I know this sounds like a dumb question but please bear with me. I'm new to Astronomy and I've not had the chance to look through this size refractor yet as the people in my group have larger reflectors. However, For practical reasons I'd really like to get a Zenithstar; it's portable, doesn't take up a lot of storage space and has a reputation for good optics. But what exactly can I reasonably expect to see? For example, if I look at the Orion nebula will I see a beautiful full frame image (I know it's wishful thinking but I can dream) or will I see a fuzzy blob in one area of the field? Thanks for your help!

    • john robert adamson
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2013
        Hi
        What would I expect to see in an 80mm refractor. I have a 90mm Megrez and it
        clearly shows Phases of Mercury, Venus. The Galilean moons of Jupiter and
        their phenomena, some of Jupiter's belts. 3 Moons of Saturn sometimes in
        favourable conditions 4 moons. I have found all the messier objects visible
        at 52deg N.
        In a dark sky it should perform even better.

        robert

        Hi! I know this sounds like a dumb question but please bear with me. I'm new
        to Astronomy and I've not had the chance to look through this size refractor
        yet as the people in my group have larger reflectors. However, For practical
        reasons I'd really like to get a Zenithstar; it's portable, doesn't take up
        a lot of storage space and has a reputation for good optics. But what
        exactly can I reasonably expect to see? For example, if I look at the Orion
        nebula will I see a beautiful full frame image (I know it's wishful thinking
        but I can dream) or will I see a fuzzy blob in one area of the field? Thanks
        for your help!

        ------------------------------------

        www.williamoptics.com www.williamopticsracing.comYahoo!
        Groups Links
      • steve_honeybun
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2013
          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "steve_honeybun" wrote:

          > Hi! I know this sounds like a dumb question but please bear with me. I'm new to Astronomy and I've not had the chance to look through this size refractor yet as the people in my group have larger reflectors. However, For practical reasons I'd really like to get a Zenithstar; it's portable, doesn't take up a lot of storage space and has a reputation for good optics. But what exactly can I reasonably expect to see? For example, if I look at the Orion nebula will I see a beautiful full frame image (I know it's wishful thinking but I can dream) or will I see a fuzzy blob in one area of the field? Thanks for your help!

          Thanks very much Perry and Robert! Your answers make things a lot clearer. Basicly, with good viewing I should be able to comfortably see the main planetry objects and if I have the correct eye piece I should be able to pick out the Messier objects as well.
          Would you recommend any eyepieces for this scope? I read somewhere that the maximum magnification per inch of scope diameter is 50X, but I'd have a ridiculously short eyepiece to achieve that. I guess the choise of longer eyepiece focal lenghts are limited by the max FOV of the scope. What do you think?
          Cheers!
          Steve
        • Gianluca Sordiglioni
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 7, 2013
            You have Zenithstar 80 wich uses FLT51 glasses, I have a Megrez 90 with the better 53 type. However under dark skies in Orion you can clearly see all the nebula using a 24mm circa low-power eyepiece (impossible on large dobson!).
            Or you can zoom-in to see the 4-stars deep inside the nebula, sometimes you can see six of them under excellent seeing (1-2 times per year).
            Or you can mid-zoom to appreciate the tiny filaments in M42 as white soft clouds, or wings of a seagull. You can lost yourself for hours trying to follow all the shapes.
            On Jupiter I counted 9 colored band. Some people called me crazy, but on anĀ  apo well built (and seeing) it is possible.
            On Saturn you clearly distinguish Cassini division, the Enke with difficulty but still visible.
            The 4mm WO eyepiece is even enouhgt to split double stars, Mintaka for example, or sigma orionis.
            Enjoy yourself !

          • jtorelli76063
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 7, 2013
              I have a Z-80 and it is a very nice scope. I have it mounted on top of my LX200-12 classic. I use it as my wide field scope. It has very good optics and the dual speed focuser is very smooth. I mainly image thru this scope. With a barlow I use it as a guider scope for the SCT.
              Looking thru it with a 26mm ep gives very wide view. This will make the planets look small but gives great views of DSO's like M42.
              If I have guests over I like to show them the view of the same object thru both scopes. It gives them a better understanding of what they are seeing.

              JoeT

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 20, 2013
                Hi!

                I just wanted to thank you all for your help. I bought the ZenithStar 80 with a set of SPL eyepieces and put it on a CG5 mount and I have to say I'm completely blown away.

                We had a BBC Stargazing live event with my local group last weekend and everyone commented on how good the optics are. Most people just said 'Wow!!' and then crowded me off my scope. It brings a grin to my face just thinking about it.

                Once again, Thank You and Thank You Williams Optics for making such a great telescope.

                Steve