Mounting WO 22x70 binoculars

  • Subs
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2012
      Hi

      I'm looking for ways to mount these on a tripod so they
      are stable even when aimed near the zenith.

      There are fork mounts commercially available but they are
      expensive and may not be designed with these in mind.

      Has anyone found or designed a practical (hopefully inexpensive) solution?

      I have a tripod which can definitely bear the weight but is designed to
      carry a 'vertical' loading.

      David K
      Melbourne.au
    • Paul
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5, 2012
        A full gimbal mount might be close to what you are looking for.  A lot of bird photographers use equipment designed to allow the lens to move in all directions for tracking birds as they move in all directions.  I use a mounting system designed and sold by Really Right Stuff.  here is a link to one of their gimbal setups: http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=PG-02-LLR&type=4&eq=&desc=PG-02-LLR%3a-Pano-Gimbal-Head-with-LLR&key=it

        They have all sorts of high quality, machined pieces that can be put together to do most anything.  Drop them a line and they might have some suggestions.

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Subs <subs@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > I'm looking for ways to mount these on a tripod so they
        > are stable even when aimed near the zenith.
        >
        > There are fork mounts commercially available but they are
        > expensive and may not be designed with these in mind.
        >
        > Has anyone found or designed a practical (hopefully inexpensive) solution?
        >
        > I have a tripod which can definitely bear the weight but is designed to
        > carry a 'vertical' loading.
        >
        > David K
        > Melbourne.au

      • mfcravo