M52 & the Bubble

  • notgnirramot
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 28, 2012
      Last weekend I was able to image although thin clouds were floating over my target for most of the night. I started with my Ha filter until the moon had set. RGB once it was down. Thicker clouds ended my night. Of course, once I had torn everything down and packed up the car the sky was pretty good again.

      This is my first go round using Ha as the Luminace layer. I also combined the Ha with the Red. All in all I am pretty happy with the results.

      The phot can be found here.

      http://www.pbase.com/image/146861629

      Tom
    • Subs
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2012
        Hi

        I'm looking for ways to mount these on a tripod so they
        are stable even when aimed near the zenith.

        There are fork mounts commercially available but they are
        expensive and may not be designed with these in mind.

        Has anyone found or designed a practical (hopefully inexpensive) solution?

        I have a tripod which can definitely bear the weight but is designed to
        carry a 'vertical' loading.

        David K
        Melbourne.au
      • Paul
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2012
          A full gimbal mount might be close to what you are looking for.  A lot of bird photographers use equipment designed to allow the lens to move in all directions for tracking birds as they move in all directions.  I use a mounting system designed and sold by Really Right Stuff.  here is a link to one of their gimbal setups: http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=PG-02-LLR&type=4&eq=&desc=PG-02-LLR%3a-Pano-Gimbal-Head-with-LLR&key=it

          They have all sorts of high quality, machined pieces that can be put together to do most anything.  Drop them a line and they might have some suggestions.

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Subs <subs@...> wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > I'm looking for ways to mount these on a tripod so they
          > are stable even when aimed near the zenith.
          >
          > There are fork mounts commercially available but they are
          > expensive and may not be designed with these in mind.
          >
          > Has anyone found or designed a practical (hopefully inexpensive) solution?
          >
          > I have a tripod which can definitely bear the weight but is designed to
          > carry a 'vertical' loading.
          >
          > David K
          > Melbourne.au

        • mfcravo