Merges ddg focuser broken again

  • Joe Perulero
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 10, 2012
      Folks about year ago after two weeks of having bought my merges 120mm with ddg focuser the focuser bearings have broken again (2 of).
      I had only a dslr on it and as I came slightly past focus I heard a clunk and the focuser refused to move.
      I have contacted Williams optics for help.
      Anyone had issues with their ddg focuser.?
    • Joe Perulero
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 9 1:32 AM
        Folks

        Williams optics is sending me a new upgraded DDG "rack and pinion" focuser as an upgrade to the standard 3.5 inch DDG which I keep having bearing issues with.

        WO claims the new R&P focuser can handle more weight than the DDG one that came with my Megrez 120mm.

        Upgrade was $199 plus shipping (old focuser has to go back to them for swap) .

        Expect it soon.

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Perulero" <joepickard007@...> wrote:

        > Folks about year ago after two weeks of having bought my merges 120mm with ddg focuser the focuser bearings have broken again (2 of).
        > I had only a dslr on it and as I came slightly past focus I heard a clunk and the focuser refused to move.
        > I have contacted Williams optics for help.
        > Anyone had issues with their ddg focuser.?

      • Al Fleming
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 9 6:11 AM

          I have a 110 FLT Apo which came with a DDG. Almost immediately it began slipping/sticking and finally refused to lift my Field Flattener and QSI  583 wsg. Like many users, I tried all manner of adjustment with little success, and eventually broke the bearings. I did not pursue a replacement with WO, as at that time a rack and pinion alternative was not available. Also, I found the digital read-out element of the DDG to be a bit of a gimmick. Instead, I opted for a 3.5 inch Feathertouch focuser coupled with a Microtouch controller from Starlight Instruments. I’m not good at making the best decisions, but this was an exception. In my experience, the Feathertouch/Microtouch combo is a quality piece of kit, is rock solid and functions perfectly every time.

          Al

        • Joe Perulero
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 10 1:35 AM
            Finally got the new R&P focuser from WO thanks to Tim. Looks good so far and heavy !.Installed flawlessly except two of the three plastic grubscrew heads looked worn out???
            I have asked Tim to send me some replacements.
            Hopefully the new focuser will be more reliable.
            Oh also noticed that the old bearing DDG crayford focuser drawing in the files section says the foicuser can only handle 3kg max loading which i find unusual since my 10:1 focuser GSO on my ed80 can handle 4kg easily?

            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Al Fleming" <alistairjfleming@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I have a 110 FLT Apo which came with a DDG. Almost immediately it began slipping/sticking and finally refused to lift my Field Flattener and QSI 583 wsg. Like many users, I tried all manner of adjustment with little success, and eventually broke the bearings. I did not pursue a replacement with WO, as at that time a rack and pinion alternative was not available. Also, I found the digital read-out element of the DDG to be a bit of a gimmick. Instead, I opted for a 3.5 inch Feathertouch focuser coupled with a Microtouch controller from Starlight Instruments. I’m not good at making the best decisions, but this was an exception. In my experience, the Feathertouch/Microtouch combo is a quality piece of kit, is rock solid and functions perfectly every time.
            >
            > Al

          • Dan Mitchell
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 10 6:54 AM
              I have a 132mm and while it was not the DDG focuser it was not very good. Had it repaired by Dr. clay once and that did not last long so it was on to a Feather Touch, a very good choice . Outstanding machining and workmanship.also very easy to exchange.
              I understand WO has bought several Feather Touchs , so they must offer them to someone as an option.
              They should put them on all there scopes and be done with the hassle.

              Every Day Seems Like Friday

              Dan
            • Adrien
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 11 11:58 AM

                Hi

                That is exactly what I have done. I ordered the 3045 with the “focuser Boss Digital kit”. I had a TEC APO 140 a few years back, with a 3545, and it was a superb focuser.

                Adrien

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 15 5:34 PM
                  Finally got to test the new R&P DDG focuser last night. Performed quite well. It would be nice if Williams Optics had an adjustment manual available incase in the future you need to adjust something.

                  --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Perulero" <joepickard007@...> wrote:

                  > Finally got the new R&P focuser from WO thanks to Tim. Looks good so far and heavy !.Installed flawlessly except two of the three plastic grubscrew heads looked worn out???
                  > I have asked Tim to send me some replacements.
                  > Hopefully the new focuser will be more reliable.
                  > Oh also noticed that the old bearing DDG crayford focuser drawing in the files section says the foicuser can only handle 3kg max loading which i find unusual since my 10:1 focuser GSO on my ed80 can handle 4kg easily?
                  >
                  > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Al Fleming" <alistairjfleming@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi,
                  > >
                  > > I have a 110 FLT Apo which came with a DDG. Almost immediately it began slipping/sticking and finally refused to lift my Field Flattener and QSI 583 wsg. Like many users, I tried all manner of adjustment with little success, and eventually broke the bearings. I did not pursue a replacement with WO, as at that time a rack and pinion alternative was not available. Also, I found the digital read-out element of the DDG to be a bit of a gimmick. Instead, I opted for a 3.5 inch Feathertouch focuser coupled with a Microtouch controller from Starlight Instruments. I’m not good at making the best decisions, but this was an exception. In my experience, the Feathertouch/Microtouch combo is a quality piece of kit, is rock solid and functions perfectly every time.
                  > >
                  > > Al

                • Timm B
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 15 5:46 PM

                    Would videos, like on YouTube be helpful for understanding how to adjust focusers, or would a manual be better, or would both be best?

                    Just curious,

                    Timm

                    --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Perulero" <joepickard007@...> wrote:

                    > Finally got to test the new R&P DDG focuser last night. Performed quite well. It would be nice if Williams Optics had an adjustment manual available incase in the future you need to adjust something.
                    >

                    > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Perulero" <joepickard007@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Finally got the new R&P focuser from WO thanks to Tim. Looks good so far and heavy !.Installed flawlessly except two of the three plastic grubscrew heads looked worn out???
                    > > I have asked Tim to send me some replacements.
                    > > Hopefully the new focuser will be more reliable.
                    > > Oh also noticed that the old bearing DDG crayford focuser drawing in the files section says the foicuser can only handle 3kg max loading which i find unusual since my 10:1 focuser GSO on my ed80 can handle 4kg easily?
                    > >
                    > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Al Fleming" <alistairjfleming@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hi,
                    > > >
                    > > > I have a 110 FLT Apo which came with a DDG. Almost immediately it began slipping/sticking and finally refused to lift my Field Flattener and QSI 583 wsg. Like many users, I tried all manner of adjustment with little success, and eventually broke the bearings. I did not pursue a replacement with WO, as at that time a rack and pinion alternative was not available. Also, I found the digital read-out element of the DDG to be a bit of a gimmick. Instead, I opted for a 3.5 inch Feathertouch focuser coupled with a Microtouch controller from Starlight Instruments. I’m not good at making the best decisions, but this was an exception. In my experience, the Feathertouch/Microtouch combo is a quality piece of kit, is rock solid and functions perfectly every time.
                    > > >
                    > > > Al

                  • robert adamson
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 16 12:31 AM
                      Both would be very useful

                      Robert
                      Owner Megrez 90 which is now slipping since added a field flattener 111 in between my camera (ST8300) and the focuser.

                      robert

                      Would videos, like on YouTube be helpful for understanding how to adjust focusers, or would a manual be better, or would both be best?

                      Just curious,

                      Timm

                      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Perulero" <joepickard007@...> wrote:

                      > Finally got to test the new R&P DDG focuser last night. Performed quite well. It would be nice if Williams Optics had an adjustment manual available incase in the future you need to adjust something.
                      >

                      > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Perulero" <joepickard007@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Finally got the new R&P focuser from WO thanks to Tim. Looks good so far and heavy !.Installed flawlessly except two of the three plastic grubscrew heads looked worn out???
                      > > I have asked Tim to send me some replacements.
                      > > Hopefully the new focuser will be more reliable.
                      > > Oh also noticed that the old bearing DDG crayford focuser drawing in the files section says the foicuser can only handle 3kg max loading which i find unusual since my 10:1 focuser GSO on my ed80 can handle 4kg easily?
                      > >
                      > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Al Fleming" <alistairjfleming@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Hi,
                      > > >
                      > > > I have a 110 FLT Apo which came with a DDG. Almost immediately it began slipping/sticking and finally refused to lift my Field Flattener and QSI 583 wsg. Like many users, I tried all manner of adjustment with little success, and eventually broke the bearings. I did not pursue a replacement with WO, as at that time a rack and pinion alternative was not available. Also, I found the digital read-out element of the DDG to be a bit of a gimmick. Instead, I opted for a 3.5 inch Feathertouch focuser coupled with a Microtouch controller from Starlight Instruments. I’m not good at making the best decisions, but this was an exception. In my experience, the Feathertouch/Microtouch combo is a quality piece of kit, is rock solid and functions perfectly every time.
                      > > >
                      > > > Al

                    • gbealnz
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 19 7:36 PM
                        Timm,
                        anything would be good, but in my case, the DDG is useless to be honest. YES, you can rack up the tension such that it doesn't slip, but then it is that stiff to focus you wonder why?
                        I know the Crayford style can work, I have a F/T for that reason, but the hype surrounding the DDG was such that many believed it would be that silver bullet. To my mind it is not.
                        Gary

                        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm B" <t.bottoni@...> wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > Would videos, like on YouTube be helpful for understanding how to adjust focusers, or would a manual be better, or would both be best?
                        >
                        > Just curious,
                        >
                        > Timm
                      • Timm B
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 19 8:38 PM
                          Thanks for the feedback Gary,

                          I know WO listens and makes changes based on what people say. The DDG is sort of a Crayford on bearings, to be honest. Not a perfect design, but there have been some with problems that even adjusting couldn't help.

                          My goal, not being a WO employee, is just to help people here if I can. I'll see if I can come up with ideas for the WO and the group.

                          Thanks,

                          Timm

                          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "gbealnz" <g.beal@...> wrote:

                          > Timm,
                          > anything would be good, but in my case, the DDG is useless to be honest. YES, you can rack up the tension such that it doesn't slip, but then it is that stiff to focus you wonder why?
                          > I know the Crayford style can work, I have a F/T for that reason, but the hype surrounding the DDG was such that many believed it would be that silver bullet. To my mind it is not.
                          > Gary
                          >

                          > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm B" <t.bottoni@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi,
                          > >
                          > > Would videos, like on YouTube be helpful for understanding how to adjust focusers, or would a manual be better, or would both be best?
                          > >
                          > > Just curious,
                          > >
                          > > Timm

                        • gbealnz
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 20 1:55 PM
                            Cheers Timm,
                            it wasn't a vent directed at anyone, especially you, I appreciate an in-between. Even W/O, not directed personally at them, more a vent.
                            There is really only one way for them to rectify the DDG issues, and it seems they are doing it now, the R&P. That leaves a sour taste in my mouth though, as it means that I have to spring more money to fix something that should have been right before it was sold.
                            I haven't seen the new DDG R&P but can't imagine it being any worse than what I currently have. The DDG is a gimmick to my mind, a flashy gimmick, and the readout gauge of limited benefit. Great for advertising perhaps, but ask those in the field in the dark of night what they think, and then decide if it is necessary.
                            I use my GT-81 for imaging, and limited visual, and never use the readout, nor the temperature readout.
                            Gary

                            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm B" <t.bottoni@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks for the feedback Gary,
                            >
                            > I know WO listens and makes changes based on what people say. The DDG is sort of a Crayford on bearings, to be honest. Not a perfect design, but there have been some with problems that even adjusting couldn't help.
                            >
                            > My goal, not being a WO employee, is just to help people here if I can. I'll see if I can come up with ideas for the WO and the group.
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            >
                            > Timm
                          • Adrien
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 21 1:47 AM

                              Hello

                              I have the earlier simple Crayford focuser, and my solution is to replace the whole lot with a Starlight feather touch 3045….now I have the perfect system.

                              Adrien