Re: [William Optics] GT-81 Finder scope question?

  • torzechowski
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 12, 2012
      Anyone find a sutable dovetail plate to mount the GT81 on with? There is a write up in Astronomy Today about a Lunt plate. Anyone try something else?

      Thanks
      Anthony Orzechowski
      GT81 #1

      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "eric" <ericemms@...> wrote:

      > Gary,
      > I shall email you a couple of photos.
      > As only 99 GT81s were released, I am wonder which number is yours (number inscribed on focuser base plate)?
      > Kind regards
      > Eric
      >
      > GT81 #35
      >
      > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Gary Flowers <corgimix@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Eric,
      > > Thanks for the answer. I will check it out later today and see if it works. A picture of your setup would be very helpful if you could email me one I'd appreciate it. It my first WO scope ans so far mostly pleased with it. :-)
      > > Gary
      > >

      > > ________________________________

    • George Ionas
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 12, 2012
        Anthony,

        Have a look here  http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4842027/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/all/vc/1

        I have posted two images using the ADM dovetail plates attached to the GT-81 tube rings which are purchased separately from WO, choice of either black or white.

        George Ionas
        GT-81  #6

        On 13/04/2012 1:36 p.m., torzechowski wrote:

        Anyone find a sutable dovetail plate to mount the GT81 on with? There is a write up in Astronomy Today about a Lunt plate. Anyone try something else?

        Thanks
        Anthony Orzechowski
        GT81 #1

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "eric" <ericemms@...> wrote:

        > Gary,
        > I shall email you a couple of photos.
        > As only 99 GT81s were released, I am wonder which number is yours (number inscribed on focuser base plate)?
        > Kind regards
        > Eric
        >
        > GT81 #35
        >
        > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Gary Flowers <corgimix@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Eric,
        > > Thanks for the answer. I will check it out later today and see if it works. A picture of your setup would be very helpful if you could email me one I'd appreciate it. It my first WO scope ans so far mostly pleased with it. :-)
        > > Gary
        > >

        > > ________________________________

        No virus found in this message.

      • christian_hennes@agilent.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 12, 2012

          Hello WO folks,

          Is there anyone who uses an SBIG STM-11000 on a WO scope? I am an happy user of an FLT 132 + AFR IV reducer and Canon 40D. I would like to shift gear and make full frame images. However, the SBIG support team warned me about the AFR IV T-thread size:

          “We have a T-thread adaptor used on the AO-8 that will connect to a ST-L camera. However, the T-thread is a smaller diameter than the 2" aperture for the camera sensor so this adaptor will vignette the corners of the image and also partially block the tracking CCD so is not recommended.”

          So, I am looking for a solution. A flattener is a must, without it, there a good amount of vignetting already on an APN format.

          Thanks for sharing your experience,

          Have nice dark skies,

          Christian

          Christian Hennes

          Lyon, France

          Lat: 45° 46’ 47” Nord, Long: 4° 49’ 27” East

        • pbbgr
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 15, 2012
            Christian,
            It can be done, but SBIG is correct, the T thread on the back will not allow full illumination of the 11000 chip. I made an adapter for the IV to give me an SCT thread (2 inch) on the back for my Apogee. I tried it with my older WO105mm and was disappointed, stars were all elongated in the corners and edges.
            Some times they will limit the diameter of the output of a reducer and or flattener because the optics just can't flatten or reduce that large of area. They may advertise a huge "illuminated circle" but you won't get a flat field over the entire advertised illuminated area.
            The STL-11000's chip has a lot of real estate to cover, from what I've seen using the IV, I would be suprized if it could do it. You could make an adapter to open it up to what the STL would need, but I would bet nasty things lie just beyond what your seeing now.
            Google "Precise Parts" they are in Fla. and do great work. They can make anything fit anything! (for a price though) but there work is top notch.
            If they can't do it, I have both thread sizes and may be able to help.
            If you are going to the STL-110000 I would highly recommend looking at the FF 68. GOOD real estate doesn't come cheap!
            Paul

            Message 5 of 14 , May 2, 2012

              Hello Paul,

              I read your reply only today ! Sorry for that. Thanks a lot. I went to the "Precise Parts" site which I did not know, this is great. But, as you said, the mechanical match is not enough. So, if I read your message well, I should replace my AFR IV with the WO FF 68, which mate the FLT 132 and offer a 68 mm output field. Am I correct?

              Thanks again, this is very interesting. All my apologies for my slow response.

              Best regards,

              Christian

              Lyon, France

              It can be done, but SBIG is correct, the T thread on the back will not allow full illumination of the 11000 chip. I made an adapter for the IV to give me an SCT thread (2 inch) on the back for my Apogee. I tried it with my older WO105mm and was disappointed, stars were all elongated in the corners and edges.
              Some times they will limit the diameter of the output of a reducer and or flattener because the optics just can't flatten or reduce that large of area. They may advertise a huge "illuminated circle" but you won't get a flat field over the entire advertised illuminated area.
              The STL-11000's chip has a lot of real estate to cover, from what I've seen using the IV, I would be suprized if it could do it. You could make an adapter to open it up to what the STL would need, but I would bet nasty things lie just beyond what your seeing now.
              Google "Precise Parts" they are in Fla. and do great work. They can make anything fit anything! (for a price though) but there work is top notch.
              If they can't do it, I have both thread sizes and may be able to help.
              If you are going to the STL-110000 I would highly recommend looking at the FF 68. GOOD real estate doesn't come cheap!
              Paul

              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, <christian_hennes@...> wrote:

              > Hello WO folks,
              >
              > Is there anyone who uses an SBIG STM-11000 on a WO scope? I am an happy user of an FLT 132 + AFR IV reducer and Canon 40D. I would like to shift gear and make full frame images. However, the SBIG support team warned me about the AFR IV T-thread size:
              >
              > "We have a T-thread adaptor used on the AO-8 that will connect to a ST-L camera. However, the T-thread is a smaller diameter than the 2" aperture for the camera sensor so this adaptor will vignette the corners of the image and also partially block the tracking CCD so is not recommended."
              >
              > So, I am looking for a solution. A flattener is a must, without it, there a good amount of vignetting already on an APN format.
              >
              > Thanks for sharing your experience,
              > Have nice dark skies,
              > Christian
              >

              > Christian Hennes
              > Lyon, France
              > Lat: 45° 46' 47" Nord, Long: 4° 49' 27" East

            • John Lutkin
              Message 6 of 14 , May 3, 2012
                I have an elderly William Yang 100/80, the focuser thread has had to be
                adapted to take the TMB flattener. I have the WO STL cone fitting and an
                STL 11000. I get flat stars to the extreme of the flat sides, a little
                distortion in the corners (about 45 pixels) and some manageable
                vignetting again at extremis in the distant corners.

                Best wishes
                John
              • pbbgr
                Message 7 of 14 , May 5, 2012
                  Christian
                  I don't think you would be happy with the results of the AFR IV on the 132. I adapted one to use it on my older WO 105 with an Apogee U8300 and the stars were not round at the edges. The P-flat68 was made for the 132 and they have an STL adapter for it. I'm using one now on my new FLT110 with the Apogee U8300 and the stars are perfect throughout the entire field. It is a bit more expensive, but you will be much happier in the long run.

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 16, 2012

                    Hello John,

                    Nice to read, so you do need to crop your image then, do you?

                    Thanks for your answer.

                    Christian

                    Lyon, France

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 16, 2012

                      Hello Paul,

                      Yes, this is now very clear and very straight forward, I need to purchase the FF68 and the WO adapter to match the FF68 to the STL body. So simple! But guess what? I went on the SBIG site to order the STL-11001M and all the STL line is gone! And they did not reply to my mail asking about that. I wonder what’s going on at SBIG. Are they in trouble?

                      Thanks again for your very precious advices,

                      Christian

                      Lyon, France