Re: [William Optics] GT-81 Finder scope question?

  • Gary Flowers
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 28 12:02 PM
      Eric,
      Thanks for the pictures. My scope is a bit different. I have only two holes on each side to mount the finder......not 3. I will work fine though in one of the 2 holes on either side. Thanks for the tip. I really appreciate it.  My scope has a serial number ( and Pat. Pend. Numbers) on the bottom of it that reads sn:100036. I was told by william this was a first sample of this scope. He was selling at that big online auction site. :-) I bought it Directly from William Yang. The deal was going to be for the scope and an unmarked,( I'm assuming) preproduction  field flattner. However, after purchase Willam supplied me a brand new Flatter 81 from Tiawan. Very good of him.... The scope did not come with a case in the purchase price. I emailed william as to where I could lay my hands on a case thinking I probably wouldn't find the Backpack that was sold with the limited run of scopes. Well turns out that william had a Ferrari Branded backpack for the GT 81 in his closet. He said they were a limited issue produced for Ferrari  in Europe. Well it looked cool and was made for the scope so I bought the Backpack.  :-) I kind of like things to match.....Anyhow, thats about what I know about the scope. It looks like the few pictures of the GT-81's I have seen in photo's online.....what little info there is on them.  Thanks again for the kind help Eric.... I appreciate it.
      Gary

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 12, 2012
        Anyone find a sutable dovetail plate to mount the GT81 on with? There is a write up in Astronomy Today about a Lunt plate. Anyone try something else?

        Thanks
        Anthony Orzechowski
        GT81 #1

        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "eric" <ericemms@...> wrote:

        > Gary,
        > I shall email you a couple of photos.
        > As only 99 GT81s were released, I am wonder which number is yours (number inscribed on focuser base plate)?
        > Kind regards
        > Eric
        >
        > GT81 #35
        >
        > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Gary Flowers <corgimix@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Eric,
        > > Thanks for the answer. I will check it out later today and see if it works. A picture of your setup would be very helpful if you could email me one I'd appreciate it. It my first WO scope ans so far mostly pleased with it. :-)
        > > Gary
        > >

        > > ________________________________

      • George Ionas
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 12, 2012
          Anthony,

          Have a look here  http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4842027/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/all/vc/1

          I have posted two images using the ADM dovetail plates attached to the GT-81 tube rings which are purchased separately from WO, choice of either black or white.

          George Ionas
          GT-81  #6

          On 13/04/2012 1:36 p.m., torzechowski wrote:

          Anyone find a sutable dovetail plate to mount the GT81 on with? There is a write up in Astronomy Today about a Lunt plate. Anyone try something else?

          Thanks
          Anthony Orzechowski
          GT81 #1

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "eric" <ericemms@...> wrote:

          > Gary,
          > I shall email you a couple of photos.
          > As only 99 GT81s were released, I am wonder which number is yours (number inscribed on focuser base plate)?
          > Kind regards
          > Eric
          >
          > GT81 #35
          >
          > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Gary Flowers <corgimix@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Eric,
          > > Thanks for the answer. I will check it out later today and see if it works. A picture of your setup would be very helpful if you could email me one I'd appreciate it. It my first WO scope ans so far mostly pleased with it. :-)
          > > Gary
          > >

          > > ________________________________

          No virus found in this message.

        • christian_hennes@agilent.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 12, 2012

            Hello WO folks,

            Is there anyone who uses an SBIG STM-11000 on a WO scope? I am an happy user of an FLT 132 + AFR IV reducer and Canon 40D. I would like to shift gear and make full frame images. However, the SBIG support team warned me about the AFR IV T-thread size:

            “We have a T-thread adaptor used on the AO-8 that will connect to a ST-L camera. However, the T-thread is a smaller diameter than the 2" aperture for the camera sensor so this adaptor will vignette the corners of the image and also partially block the tracking CCD so is not recommended.”

            So, I am looking for a solution. A flattener is a must, without it, there a good amount of vignetting already on an APN format.

            Thanks for sharing your experience,

            Have nice dark skies,

            Christian

            Christian Hennes

            Lyon, France

            Lat: 45° 46’ 47” Nord, Long: 4° 49’ 27” East

          • pbbgr
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 15, 2012
              Christian,
              It can be done, but SBIG is correct, the T thread on the back will not allow full illumination of the 11000 chip. I made an adapter for the IV to give me an SCT thread (2 inch) on the back for my Apogee. I tried it with my older WO105mm and was disappointed, stars were all elongated in the corners and edges.
              Some times they will limit the diameter of the output of a reducer and or flattener because the optics just can't flatten or reduce that large of area. They may advertise a huge "illuminated circle" but you won't get a flat field over the entire advertised illuminated area.
              The STL-11000's chip has a lot of real estate to cover, from what I've seen using the IV, I would be suprized if it could do it. You could make an adapter to open it up to what the STL would need, but I would bet nasty things lie just beyond what your seeing now.
              Google "Precise Parts" they are in Fla. and do great work. They can make anything fit anything! (for a price though) but there work is top notch.
              If they can't do it, I have both thread sizes and may be able to help.
              If you are going to the STL-110000 I would highly recommend looking at the FF 68. GOOD real estate doesn't come cheap!
              Paul

              Message 6 of 14 , May 2, 2012

                Hello Paul,

                I read your reply only today ! Sorry for that. Thanks a lot. I went to the "Precise Parts" site which I did not know, this is great. But, as you said, the mechanical match is not enough. So, if I read your message well, I should replace my AFR IV with the WO FF 68, which mate the FLT 132 and offer a 68 mm output field. Am I correct?

                Thanks again, this is very interesting. All my apologies for my slow response.

                Best regards,

                Christian

                Lyon, France

                It can be done, but SBIG is correct, the T thread on the back will not allow full illumination of the 11000 chip. I made an adapter for the IV to give me an SCT thread (2 inch) on the back for my Apogee. I tried it with my older WO105mm and was disappointed, stars were all elongated in the corners and edges.
                Some times they will limit the diameter of the output of a reducer and or flattener because the optics just can't flatten or reduce that large of area. They may advertise a huge "illuminated circle" but you won't get a flat field over the entire advertised illuminated area.
                The STL-11000's chip has a lot of real estate to cover, from what I've seen using the IV, I would be suprized if it could do it. You could make an adapter to open it up to what the STL would need, but I would bet nasty things lie just beyond what your seeing now.
                Google "Precise Parts" they are in Fla. and do great work. They can make anything fit anything! (for a price though) but there work is top notch.
                If they can't do it, I have both thread sizes and may be able to help.
                If you are going to the STL-110000 I would highly recommend looking at the FF 68. GOOD real estate doesn't come cheap!
                Paul

                --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, <christian_hennes@...> wrote:

                > Hello WO folks,
                >
                > Is there anyone who uses an SBIG STM-11000 on a WO scope? I am an happy user of an FLT 132 + AFR IV reducer and Canon 40D. I would like to shift gear and make full frame images. However, the SBIG support team warned me about the AFR IV T-thread size:
                >
                > "We have a T-thread adaptor used on the AO-8 that will connect to a ST-L camera. However, the T-thread is a smaller diameter than the 2" aperture for the camera sensor so this adaptor will vignette the corners of the image and also partially block the tracking CCD so is not recommended."
                >
                > So, I am looking for a solution. A flattener is a must, without it, there a good amount of vignetting already on an APN format.
                >
                > Thanks for sharing your experience,
                > Have nice dark skies,
                > Christian
                >

                > Christian Hennes
                > Lyon, France
                > Lat: 45° 46' 47" Nord, Long: 4° 49' 27" East

              • John Lutkin
                Message 7 of 14 , May 3, 2012
                  I have an elderly William Yang 100/80, the focuser thread has had to be
                  adapted to take the TMB flattener. I have the WO STL cone fitting and an
                  STL 11000. I get flat stars to the extreme of the flat sides, a little
                  distortion in the corners (about 45 pixels) and some manageable
                  vignetting again at extremis in the distant corners.

                  Best wishes
                  John
                • pbbgr
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 5, 2012
                    Christian
                    I don't think you would be happy with the results of the AFR IV on the 132. I adapted one to use it on my older WO 105 with an Apogee U8300 and the stars were not round at the edges. The P-flat68 was made for the 132 and they have an STL adapter for it. I'm using one now on my new FLT110 with the Apogee U8300 and the stars are perfect throughout the entire field. It is a bit more expensive, but you will be much happier in the long run.

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 16, 2012

                      Hello John,

                      Nice to read, so you do need to crop your image then, do you?

                      Thanks for your answer.

                      Christian

                      Lyon, France

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 16, 2012

                        Hello Paul,

                        Yes, this is now very clear and very straight forward, I need to purchase the FF68 and the WO adapter to match the FF68 to the STL body. So simple! But guess what? I went on the SBIG site to order the STL-11001M and all the STL line is gone! And they did not reply to my mail asking about that. I wonder what’s going on at SBIG. Are they in trouble?

                        Thanks again for your very precious advices,

                        Christian

                        Lyon, France