RE: [William Optics] Focusser slippage problem

  • christian_hennes@agilent.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 18, 2012

      Hi Peter,

      I had the same problem with heavy load and fixed it by tightening the hex screw near the locking nut. I know you did that too, so it’s not the solution for you. So, it seems to be a weak point on WO. I did not find any information in the manual of the FLT-132. Even if this is not rocket science, it would be good to have a more detailed manual for this excellent product.

      Sorry, it’s not going to solve your issue. Keep the forum updated.

      Thanks,

      Christian

      Christian Hennes

      ST Global Account Manager

      Agilent Technologies France

      Parc Club du Moulin à Vent

      33, avenue du Docteur Georges Lévy

      69693 Vénissieux

      tel: 04 78 77 84 44

      GSM: 06 72 99 04 04

      FAX: 04 78 77 84 40

      christian_hennes@...

      www.agilent.com

      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 19, 2012
        Feather Touch

        Sent from my iPad

        Dan
      • eric
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 26, 2012
          I have problems with the DDG focuser of my GT 81. It keeps sticking when I turn the knobs - may move a few mm then stops. Have tried the hex screw behing the lock nut but to no avail. Now considering a Feather Touch replacement. I guess a 2" one. Anyone using an FT on a GT 81? If so, any comments.
          Kind regards,
          Eric

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Dan Mitchell <dstm24@...> wrote:

          > Feather Touch
          >
          > Sent from my iPad
          >
          > Dan

        • MICHEAL CHASTNEY
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 26, 2012
            Hi Eric have you tried removing focuser knobs main and 10:1 reduction and tightening allen bolts holding knobs to shaft?

            It may be a simple fix,give it a try !

            ATB

            Mike
          • Jaap van 't Leven
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 26, 2012
              Hi Eric,

              I just finished installing the lightweight FT focuser:   http://www.spacerock.nl/?p=438
              Weather forecasts are not looking good, so first light might take a while.

              Regards,
              Jaap.

              On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 6:25 PM, eric <ericemms@...> wrote:

              I have problems with the DDG focuser of my GT 81. It keeps sticking when I turn the knobs - may move a few mm then stops. Have tried the hex screw behing the lock nut but to no avail. Now considering a Feather Touch replacement. I guess a 2" one. Anyone using an FT on a GT 81? If so, any comments.
              Kind regards,
              Eric

              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Dan Mitchell <dstm24@...> wrote:

              > Feather Touch
              >
              > Sent from my iPad
              >
              > Dan

            • eric
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 27, 2012
                Jaap,
                That's terribly useful. Thank you so much. Does the adaptor have a name/code for ease of ordering from Starlight Instruments?
                Kind regards,
                Eric
                --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Jaap van 't Leven" <jvtleven@...> wrote:

                > Hi Eric,
                >
                > I just finished installing the lightweight FT focuser:
                > http://www.spacerock.nl/?p=438
                > Weather forecasts are not looking good, so first light might take a while.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Jaap.
                >
                > On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 6:25 PM, eric <ericemms@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > I have problems with the DDG focuser of my GT 81. It keeps sticking when I
                > > turn the knobs - may move a few mm then stops. Have tried the hex screw
                > > behing the lock nut but to no avail. Now considering a Feather Touch
                > > replacement. I guess a 2" one. Anyone using an FT on a GT 81? If so, any
                > > comments.
                > > Kind regards,
                > > Eric
                > >

                > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Dan Mitchell <dstm24@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Feather Touch
                > > >
                > > > Sent from my iPad
                > > >
                > > > Dan

              • eric
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 27, 2012
                  Michael,
                  Thanks for the input. I fear the problem is more than tightening. But I shall give it another go. I think Feather Touch is calling...
                  Eric

                  --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, MICHEAL CHASTNEY <chastney690@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Eric have you tried removing focuser knobs main and 10:1 reduction and tightening allen bolts holding knobs to shaft?
                  >
                  > It may be a simple fix,give it a try !
                  >
                  > ATB
                  >
                  > Mike

                • Jaap van 't Leven
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 27, 2012
                    Hi Eric,

                    The code for the adapter is  A20-271
                    (Adapter 2.0" for ASTRO-TECH 6", 8" and GSO 6", 8" RITCHIE-CHRETIEN telescopes)

                    Regards,
                    Jaap.

                    On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 12:06 PM, eric <ericemms@...> wrote:

                    Jaap,
                    That's terribly useful. Thank you so much. Does the adaptor have a name/code for ease of ordering from Starlight Instruments?
                    Kind regards,
                    Eric

                    --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Jaap van 't Leven" <jvtleven@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Eric,
                    >
                    > I just finished installing the lightweight FT focuser:
                    > http://www.spacerock.nl/?p=438
                    > Weather forecasts are not looking good, so first light might take a while.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Jaap.
                    >
                    > On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 6:25 PM, eric <ericemms@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > **

                    > > I have problems with the DDG focuser of my GT 81. It keeps sticking when I
                    > > turn the knobs - may move a few mm then stops. Have tried the hex screw
                    > > behing the lock nut but to no avail. Now considering a Feather Touch
                    > > replacement. I guess a 2" one. Anyone using an FT on a GT 81? If so, any
                    > > comments.
                    > > Kind regards,
                    > > Eric
                    > >

                    > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, Dan Mitchell <dstm24@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Feather Touch
                    > > >
                    > > > Sent from my iPad
                    > > >
                    > > > Dan

                  • notgnirramot
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 27, 2012
                      Hi Eric,

                      You should look at the MoonLite Focusers as well. Very good quality and a bit less cash than the Feather Touch. $275 or $425 with a DC motor and controller.

                      http://www.focuser.com/

                      I have one on my Megrez 80 Fluorite Doublet with the DC motor. It handles my SBIG ST-8300, the 5 position filter wheel, and the W/O type IV reducer/flattener flawlessly.

                      My 2 cents.

                      Tom

                      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "eric" <ericemms@...> wrote:

                      > Michael,
                      > Thanks for the input. I fear the problem is more than tightening. But I shall give it another go. I think Feather Touch is calling...
                      > Eric
                      >

                      > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, MICHEAL CHASTNEY <chastney690@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi Eric have you tried removing focuser knobs main and 10:1 reduction and tightening allen bolts holding knobs to shaft?
                      > >
                      > > It may be a simple fix,give it a try !
                      > >
                      > > ATB
                      > >
                      > > Mike

                    • eric
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 28, 2012
                        Jaap,
                        Very many thanks. So I'm looking to a $600 FT upgrade.
                        My concerns are:
                        1. I do not use rings to mount but a short dovetail screwed to the tripod hole of the red band.
                        2. my WO RDF is currently mounted on the DDG.
                        Both "anchor points" are lost in the upgrade.
                        How can I address both concerns with the FT?
                        Kind regards
                        Eric

                        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Jaap van 't Leven" <jvtleven@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Eric,
                        >
                        > The code for the adapter is A20-271
                        > (Adapter 2.0" for ASTRO-TECH 6", 8" and GSO 6", 8" RITCHIE-CHRETIEN
                        > telescopes)
                        >

                        > Regards,
                        > Jaap.
                        >
                        > On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 12:06 PM, eric <ericemms@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > **
                        > >

                        > > Jaap,
                        > > That's terribly useful. Thank you so much. Does the adaptor have a
                        > > name/code for ease of ordering from Starlight Instruments?
                        > > Kind regards,
                        > > Eric
                        > >
                        > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Jaap van 't Leven" <jvtleven@>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Hi Eric,
                        > > >
                        > > > I just finished installing the lightweight FT focuser:
                        > > > http://www.spacerock.nl/?p=438
                        > > > Weather forecasts are not looking good, so first light might take a
                        > > while.
                        > > >
                        > > > Regards,
                        > > > Jaap.

                        > > when I
                        > > any

                      • eric
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 28, 2012
                          Tom,
                          Thanks for your post.
                          I have heard good reports of ML. Anyone using one on a GT81?
                          Kind regards,
                          Eric

                          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "notgnirramot" <notgnirra@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Eric,
                          >
                          > You should look at the MoonLite Focusers as well. Very good quality and a bit less cash than the Feather Touch. $275 or $425 with a DC motor and controller.
                          >
                          > http://www.focuser.com/
                          >
                          > I have one on my Megrez 80 Fluorite Doublet with the DC motor. It handles my SBIG ST-8300, the 5 position filter wheel, and the W/O type IV reducer/flattener flawlessly.
                          >
                          > My 2 cents.
                          >
                          > Tom
                          >
                          > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "eric" <ericemms@> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > Michael,
                          > > Thanks for the input. I fear the problem is more than tightening. But I shall give it another go. I think Feather Touch is calling...
                          > > Eric
                          > >

                          > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, MICHEAL CHASTNEY <chastney690@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Hi Eric have you tried removing focuser knobs main and 10:1 reduction and tightening allen bolts holding knobs to shaft?
                          > > >
                          > > > It may be a simple fix,give it a try !
                          > > >
                          > > > ATB
                          > > >
                          > > > Mike

                        • Dave Y
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 28, 2012
                            Williams focusers use a flat on the tube like all other crayfords. A common issue is that the flat is NOT FLAT and the shaft that rides on it is only in contact on its edges. Flattening or HONING the flat gives the crayford shaft a pile more grip. I have done this with several focusers with great results. Check the flatness.
                            A honing stone and patience is all it takes
                            Cheers,

                            Dave Yates
                            Telescope Performance Improvements
                            Tripod spreaders, battery trays and levelling mounts
                            CGE fine AZ adjuster and pier toppers
                            www.tpiastro.com

                            href="mailto:William-Optics%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:William-Optics%40yahoogroups.com, "Jaap van 't Leven" <jvtleven@>

                            href="http://www.spacerock.nl/?p=438">http://www.spacerock.nl/?p=438
                            > > > Weather forecasts are not looking good, so first light might take
                            > > while.
                            > > >
                            > > > Regards,
                            > > > Jaap.
                            > > >
                            > > > On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 6:25 PM,

                            **

                            --- In mailto:William-Optics%40yahoogroups.com, Dan Mitchell <dstm24@> wrote:

> [...]
                            Dan

                          • Jaap van 't Leven
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 28, 2012
                              Hi Eric,

                              Before the upgrade I also used the GT with short dovetail.
                              In my opinion that was not stable enough for photography, so I removed the handle
                              and mounted the dovetail using the 2 holes for the handle.
                              Anyway, after the upgrade I have now switched to WO 90mm rings and a dovetail.
                              These rings a pretty heavy, so when I take the GT on trips abroad, I use 2 cheap
                              lightweight Chinese rings and a dovetail.
                              For mounting on a photo tripod I will need to get me a dovetail shoe.
                              The WO rdf mounts on the WO rings. The holes in the base of the rdf are a bit larger than
                              necessary and will allow the use of slightly larger screws.
                              I have mounted the rdf using a M6 screw.

                              Regards, Jaap.

                            • MICHEAL CHASTNEY
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 28, 2012
                                Hi  Eric i have got a GT81 and todate have had no focusser issues with the stock item,on my flt110 i have fitted a skywatcher motor on a custom bracket total cost £75 no more slippage even with a heavy load,a very cost effective remedy,just could not justify f/t cost,
                                ATB
                                Mike

                                I have heard good reports of ML. Anyone using one on a GT81?
                                Kind regards,
                                Eric

                                --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "notgnirramot" <notgnirra@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Eric,
                                >
                                > You should look at the MoonLite Focusers as well. Very good quality and a bit less cash than the Feather Touch. $275 or $425 with a DC motor and controller.
                                >
                                > http://www.focuser.com/
                                >
                                > I have one on my Megrez 80 Fluorite Doublet with the DC motor. It handles my SBIG ST-8300, the 5 position filter wheel, and the W/O type IV reducer/flattener flawlessly.
                                >
                                > My 2 cents.
                                >
                                > Tom
                                >
                                > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "eric" <ericemms@> wrote:
                                > >

                                > > Michael,
                                > > Thanks for the input. I fear the problem is more than tightening. But I shall give it another go. I think Feather Touch is calling...
                                > > Eric
                                > >

                                > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, MICHEAL CHASTNEY <chastney690@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Hi Eric have you tried removing focuser knobs main and 10:1 reduction and tightening allen bolts holding knobs to shaft?
                                > > >
                                > > > It may be a simple fix,give it a try !
                                > > >
                                > > > ATB
                                > > >
                                > > > Mike

                              • eric
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 28, 2012
                                  Jaap,
                                  Thank you so much - you have answered my concerns nicely. So to buy a couple of WO rings $115 to add to the $600 upgrade cost. Need to do a cost/benefit analysis,

                                • eric
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jan 28, 2012
                                    Thanks Mike.
                                    My problem is not so much slippage more of sticking! Hope one day to buy such a motor.
                                    Kind regards
                                    Eric

                                    --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, MICHEAL CHASTNEY <chastney690@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi  Eric i have got a GT81 and todate have had no focusser issues with the stock item,on my flt110 i have fitted a skywatcher motor on a custom bracket total cost £75 no more slippage even with a heavy load,a very cost effective remedy,just could not justify f/t cost,
                                    > ATB
                                    > Mike
                                    >

                                    > ________________________________

                                  • eric
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jan 28, 2012
                                      Thanks Dave
                                      I'm not that mechanical proficient! Would not have the confidence to do as you suggest.
                                      Perhaps If I can follow some visual guide or commission someone else to do it I may be persuaded.
                                      Kind regards
                                      Eric

                                      --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Y" <daveyates80@...> wrote:

                                      > Williams focusers use a flat on the tube like all other crayfords. A common issue is that the flat is NOT FLAT and the shaft that rides on it is only in contact on its edges. Flattening or HONING the flat gives the crayford shaft a pile more grip. I have done this with several focusers with great results. Check the flatness.
                                      > A honing stone and patience is all it takes
                                      > Cheers,
                                      >
                                      > Dave Yates
                                      > Telescope Performance Improvements
                                      > Tripod spreaders, battery trays and levelling mounts
                                      > CGE fine AZ adjuster and pier toppers
                                      > www.tpiastro.com

                                    • eric
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 10, 2012
                                        Just spoke to Paul Zaika, sales manager of WO at AstroFest, London. He said WO may be offering the new focuser of the GTF series as a replacement for the one on the GT81. I said many owners of the GT81 would be interested in this upgrade option.

                                        Eric

                                      • MICHEAL CHASTNEY
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Feb 10, 2012
                                          Hi Eric good news did he give any indication of when and how much?

                                          I would like to think they would offer exsisting owners a good price considering initial outlay and expectations,anything new on the stands?

                                          Regards

                                          Mike

                                          Just spoke to Paul Zaika, sales manager of WO at AstroFest, London. He said WO may be offering the new focuser of the GTF series as a replacement for the one on the GT81. I said many owners of the GT81 would be interested in this upgrade option.

                                          Eric

                                          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "eric" <ericemms@...> wrote:

                                          > Thanks Dave
                                          > I'm not that mechanical proficient! Would not have the confidence to do as you suggest.
                                          > Perhaps If I can follow some visual guide or commission someone else to do it I may be persuaded.
                                          > Kind regards
                                          > Eric
                                          >

                                          > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Y" <daveyates80@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Williams focusers use a flat on the tube like all other crayfords. A common issue is that the flat is NOT FLAT and the shaft that rides on it is only in contact on its edges. Flattening or HONING the flat gives the crayford shaft a pile more grip. I have done this with several focusers with great results. Check the flatness.
                                          > > A honing stone and patience is all it takes
                                          > > Cheers,
                                          > >
                                          > > Dave Yates
                                          > > Telescope Performance Improvements
                                          > > Tripod spreaders, battery trays and levelling mounts
                                          > > CGE fine AZ adjuster and pier toppers
                                          > > www.tpiastro.com

                                        • eric
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Feb 10, 2012
                                            Have received a follow up email from Paul saying maybe April.
                                            I took some time examining the focuser on the five element (flatener included) GTF series. Essentially the GT81 replacement (another limited edition range!)