Purchase Decision

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2011
      Need Advice:

      I am seriously considering adding the WO Megrez 120 DDG to my telescope lineup. I currently have a WO Megrez 90 (standard focuser) that I use on a Losmandy G11 mount. I want to use the Megrez 90 for wide-field astrophotography and as a guide scope for the 120. There are other competing teles out there and I can get more aperture for same money with a scope like Astro-Tech, etc. I don't think I want to go as high as the triplet WO 132mm scope, but need some advice.

      Thanks!
    • steve.ggoddard
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 11, 2011
        --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <sfletcher1974@...> wrote:

        > Need Advice:
        >
        > I am seriously considering adding the WO Megrez 120 DDG to my telescope lineup. I currently have a WO Megrez 90 (standard focuser) that I use on a Losmandy G11 mount. I want to use the Megrez 90 for wide-field astrophotography and as a guide scope for the 120. There are other competing teles out there and I can get more aperture for same money with a scope like Astro-Tech, etc. I don't think I want to go as high as the triplet WO 132mm scope, but need some advice.
        >
        > Thanks!

        I can't speak to how good the scope is for imaging, but it is fantastic as a visual instrument with excellent mechanics. It is a 2-element ED scope, so your imaging equipment will likely show some color. I have to look hard to see it, but it's there. Much less than my previous WO ED110 (f6) - an excellent wide-field scope as well. Star tests show perfect rings both in & out of focus.

        Regarding the focuser; It's large and has not slipped with heavy eyepieces or binoviewers. It has plenty of focus travel - no barlow was needed to get the binoveiwer to focus. I did have to tweak the rotating screws o eliminate some slop in the rotating mechanism, but once done it has held this well, and I rotate it on every use. The back flange also rotates, so you have 2 rotating points.

        Here's one for sale on Amart:
        http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=749854