P-FLat- IV

  • Joe Perulero
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 5, 2011
      Anyone know what setting I have to set the flat IV to use with an sbig st8300m camera ?
    • williammoderator07
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 5, 2011
        Dear Joe.
        Recommended flattener lens to camera chip distance:
        FLT 98 - 76.8 mm.
        Regards,
        Tim
        WO

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 6, 2011
          Hi Thanks..whats it for Megrez 120mm ?

          --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "williammoderator07" <williammoderator07@...> wrote:

          > Dear Joe.
          > Recommended flattener lens to camera chip distance:
          > FLT 98 - 76.8 mm.
          > Regards,
          > Tim
          > WO
          >

          > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Perulero" <joepickard007@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Anyone know what setting I have to set the flat IV to use with an sbig st8300m camera ?

        • robert adamson
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 6, 2011
            Hi Tim
            Could you also provide the figure for a Megrez 90 with a x0.8 field
            flattener 3 ( the older f6.9 telescope), have just acquired a sbig st8300.

            Many thanks
            robert

            > Recommended flattener lens to camera chip distance:
            > FLT 98 - 76.8 mm.
            > Regards,
            > Tim
            > WO
            >

            > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Perulero" <joepickard007@>
            wrote:

            > > Anyone know what setting I have to set the flat IV to use with an sbig
            st8300m camera ?

            ------------------------------------

            www.williamoptics.com www.williamopticsracing.comYahoo!
            Groups Links
          • williammoderator07
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 6, 2011
              Dear All.
              Please, check FlatIII specs listed on WO website.
              http://www.williamoptics.com/accessories/flattener3_spec.php
              http://www.williamoptics.com/accessories/images/FW0.8X_T-RING_950425.pdf
              Recomended distance is 56mm.
              Regards,
              WO

              --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "robert adamson" <j.r.adamson@...> wrote:

              > Hi Tim
              > Could you also provide the figure for a Megrez 90 with a x0.8 field
              > flattener 3 ( the older f6.9 telescope), have just acquired a sbig st8300.
              >
              > Many thanks
              > robert

            • Joe Perulero
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 7, 2011
                This doesn't seem to be correct for Megrez 120mm and Sbig st8300 ??

                --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "williammoderator07" <williammoderator07@...> wrote:

                > Dear All.
                > Please, check FlatIII specs listed on WO website.
                > http://www.williamoptics.com/accessories/flattener3_spec.php
                > http://www.williamoptics.com/accessories/images/FW0.8X_T-RING_950425.pdf
                > Recomended distance is 56mm.
                > Regards,
                > WO
                >
                > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "robert adamson" <j.r.adamson@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Tim
                > > Could you also provide the figure for a Megrez 90 with a x0.8 field
                > > flattener 3 ( the older f6.9 telescope), have just acquired a sbig st8300.
                > >
                > > Many thanks
                > > robert

              • painvest101
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 23, 2011
                  I have the Sbig 8300M with FW5-8300 filter wheel is the recommended setting still 76.8 flat IV? and is the 76.8 mean setting it to that on the flattener? I've been having a lot of trouble fine tuning the this with my FLT98 DDG. Thank you in advance for any replies.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 23, 2011
                    Well I have another question...If what I have been reading is right the 76.8mm is from ccd to flat IV glass. My problem is this, please correct me if I'm wrong.

                    SBIG 8300&FW5-8300 = 38mm
                    Flat_IV from WO drawing 66=14.1mm 76=24.1mm & 86=34.8mm

                    If this is the case then the camera, filter wheel and flat_IV at setting 86 is only getting me 72.8mm so I'm 4mm short of optimum. If this is the case what spacers would fit the flat_IV with the SBIG setup? Anybody else have this issue with the FLT98 DDG? Still learning so any help will certainly be appreciated?

                    Dan

                    --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, painvest101 <no_reply@...> wrote:

                    > I have the Sbig 8300M with FW5-8300 filter wheel is the recommended setting still 76.8 flat IV? and is the 76.8 mean setting it to that on the flattener? I've been having a lot of trouble fine tuning the this with my FLT98 DDG. Thank you in advance for any replies.
                    >
                    > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "williammoderator07" <williammoderator07@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Dear Joe.
                    > > Recommended flattener lens to camera chip distance:
                    > > FLT 98 - 76.8 mm.
                    > > Regards,
                    > > Tim
                    > > WO
                    > >

                    > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Perulero" <joepickard007@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Anyone know what setting I have to set the flat IV to use with an sbig st8300m camera ?

                  • edadurka
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 28, 2011
                      Dan, I'm still learning too, some of it the hard way. I was quoted the same 76.8 distance, but nobody will tell you from exactly what point on the Flat-IV that measurement is from, even though WO has a very good drawing of the Flat-IV. Using the 76.8 figure I had a custom adapter machined to mate my FLT-98 DDG with an STL-11K (which has the same 38 mm front plate to chip distance as the 8300). There is no commercial adapter available. I could not reach focus with the scope. I ended up having to cut the adapter in half to remove 10 mm from the center. The Flat-IV end of the adapter I had made, replaces the regular end plate and butts against the same place as the original. On the Flat-IV diagram this would be the left side of the measurement showing 16.6. My distance from that point to the camera mounting plate is 38 mm. The Flat-IV is set at 66. It will not reach focus at any other setting. This gives me 2.25 mm of focus at 65-70 degrees F. with the FLT-98. As the temperature drops that focus point shortens to 1.50 mm at 55 degrees F. It will be interesting to see what happens when it gets colder here. The DDG is very helpful at presetting the focus and monitoring it afterward. Ed

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 28, 2011
                        Ed,

                        I ordered a Baader 7.5 & 15mm Varilock adapters. If the sweet spot is 76.8 either one of these adapter should give me the ability to set the right back focus. They are supposed to arrive on friday and hopefully the weather will improve over the weekend for me to try it out.
                        I'll post when I have the opportunity. Thank you for replying.

                        Dan