Megrez DDG focuser issue

  • Joe Perulero
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 29, 2011
      Hi

      I recently bought a megrez 120 with DDG focuser . Last night I was using the
      focuser and it was working fine with an SBIG camera.
      Towards the end of the night (lots of dew and 10 deg C) the focuser refused to rack in , kept slipping???
      I gentle adjusted tension grub screw but focuser appears to keep slipping.
      Next morning with scope all dry same issue?

      Can anyone advise how to adjust these focuser properly?
    • Timm B
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 29, 2011

        The small inset screw on the bottom, which is a metric allen head screw, is the one that adjusts tension. If you tighten it, try the large 1:1 knob and see if it works correctly.

        Or is it the small 10:1 knob that is slipping?

        Timm

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 30, 2011
          No good ?something else is wrong?
          Two small curved pieces of metal fell out of the focuser ??
          They look like bearing flange material.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 30, 2011
            Hi

            Sounds like a bearing might have broken and fell out. The focuser is easy to disassemble but you will need a replacement bearing from WO. I can send you pictures to show how it comes apart if you want to tackle this yourself.

            Timm

            --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Perulero" <joepickard007@...> wrote:

            > No good ?something else is wrong?
            > Two small curved pieces of metal fell out of the focuser ??
            > They look like bearing flange material.
            >

            > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Timm B" <t.bottoni@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > The small inset screw on the bottom, which is a metric allen head screw, is the one that adjusts tension. If you tighten it, try the large 1:1 knob and see if it works correctly.
            > >
            > > Or is it the small 10:1 knob that is slipping?
            > >
            > > Timm
            > >
            > > --- In William-Optics@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Perulero" <joepickard007@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi
            > > >
            > > > I recently bought a megrez 120 with DDG focuser . Last night I was using the
            > > > focuser and it was working fine with an SBIG camera.
            > > > Towards the end of the night (lots of dew and 10 deg C) the focuser refused to rack in , kept slipping???
            > > > I gentle adjusted tension grub screw but focuser appears to keep slipping.
            > > > Next morning with scope all dry same issue?
            > > >
            > > > Can anyone advise how to adjust these focuser properly?

          • Ross Elkins
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 31, 2011
              Just wanted to say that the linear power focused on my flt98 has been terrific. I am not an AP but I sometimes load it up with visual gear like a tv bino and 2 Nagler 12mm lenses. The focused adjusts for the weight easily, rotates simply. I have a FT on my np127 and although the focuser action and feel is beautiful, the rotation is just terrible due to the tiny screws used in their adapter for this scope. Possibly, since I have a robust mount, the flt's focuser feels great with no real vibration induced from fine focusing.

              Ross