The Snake Nebula

  • notgnirramot
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2011
      Here is a photo of dark nebula Barnard 72, aka "The Snake Nebula".

      Taken on July 2nd after midnight when it crossed into the western half of the sky. The weather was hot! I started setting up at 10:15pm and it was still 85 degrees F. By the end of the evening, 3:30am it had cooled to 78. Light breezes kept most of the dew off of the scope and mount, kept most of the bugs at bay and made it a most comfortable night after I was set up. Seeing was average at best and this nebula is pretty low, so it is a little soft. Ultimately, I will need more data.

      I was out the previous night, but having nothing to show for it. My guide software, PHD Guide, was misbehaving and needed to be reinstalled. It worked great last night.

      The photo can be found here with details.

      http://www.pbase.com/tom_arrington/2011
      Comments are welcome.

      Tom Arrington